Was Adolf Hitler ever used as an example of an Aryan?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
George L Gregory

Was Adolf Hitler ever used as an example of an Aryan?

Post by George L Gregory » 17 Jul 2022, 00:48

I’m curious, was Adolf Hitler ever used as an example of an Aryan in Nazi propaganda?

Was Hitler ever used in any propaganda about race?

von thoma

Re: Was Adolf Hitler ever used as an example of an Aryan ?

Post by von thoma » 17 Jul 2022, 04:07

Adolf Hitler I don't know, but Göbbels does.
Attachments
Aryan.jpg
Aryan.jpg (81.99 KiB) Viewed 6925 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Was Adolf Hitler ever used as an example of an Aryan?

Post by Hans1906 » 18 Jul 2022, 16:59

Goebbels as angry Mickey Mouse is well known, the difference, the man was dangerous, perhaps the third most powerful man in the Third Reich, and the man was at the source.

The mistake that is still made today, is that these men were not taken seriously, that the little limping man was laughed at, and all of that took bitter revenge.

The man was brilliant, brilliant enough to talk entire hordes of people into ruin.

His speeches are legendary, they always will be, but that was a different time altogether.

Hitlers Helfer: Joseph Goebbels - der Brandstifter

Always kicked people, small people, they have always moved world history, wherever...

Look at Putin, this dwarf, the little man is becoming overpowering. The midgets, the underdogs will appear again one day, full of hate, full of violence, we not only know something like this from the wars in the Balkans, it will always be repeated...

The man was, and still is, dangerous, ideology has a long dual value, it's all still here...

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

john2

Post by john2 » 19 Jul 2022, 00:04

Didn't Hitler require everyone to show records of their ancestry? To prove they were "pure" and not related to Jews. Yet Hitler couldn't do the same as he didn't know who his ancestors were...

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 21 Jul 2022, 22:06

john2 wrote:
19 Jul 2022, 00:04
Didn't Hitler require everyone to show records of their ancestry? To prove they were "pure" and not related to Jews. Yet Hitler couldn't do the same as he didn't know who his ancestors were...
He could. Joahnn Georg Hiedler was considered to be Hitler's paternal grandfather. Hitler's ancestry was traced back for hundreds of years.

john2

Post by john2 » 22 Jul 2022, 00:48

I had read - forgive me if I'm wrong it's been awhile that Hitler's father Alois was born out of wedlock and it wasn't clear who his father was. Although Hiedler claimed him as his own later on it was suggested it had to do with an inheritance and it wasn't entirely established that he was indeed Alois's father. This is how the rumor that Hitler was Jewish got started that Alois's real father was a Jew.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 23 Jul 2022, 16:10

Familie Hitler: https://www.google.com/search?q=Familie ... =759&dpr=1

Who cares today whose blood this Austrian was, what was, that is, period.

On any modern talk show, the man would have given up after the first interview.
But there were no talk shows, everything was regulated by force, whoever held a gun in front of your face was right, who of us would have stood up against a drawn gun, you, me, probably not...

The shot dead in the trenches speak volumes, who gets shot in the brain just for their own political opinion, not you, not me, which one of us ?

Heroism is a good quality, but when the SS-Mann stands in front of you with his pistol fully loaded, your mind changes in less than a second.
Violence and oppression was the principle, up to the very highest ranks, without exception.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 23 Jul 2022, 22:49

john2 wrote:
22 Jul 2022, 00:48
I had read - forgive me if I'm wrong it's been awhile that Hitler's father Alois was born out of wedlock and it wasn't clear who his father was. Although Hiedler claimed him as his own later on it was suggested it had to do with an inheritance and it wasn't entirely established that he was indeed Alois's father. This is how the rumor that Hitler was Jewish got started that Alois's real father was a Jew.
That's all it was - a rumour. It was never proved.

Hitler's family were Austrian Germans and had lived in the more or less same places for centuries. There was incest in Hitler's family and Hitler's parents even had to get permission to get married because they were so closely related.

john2

Post by john2 » 24 Jul 2022, 01:42

I personally don't think Hitler was Jewish but weren't his family records sealed or something? Out of fear someone might find something wrong? While I understand that sort of thing would be politically sensitive it suggests nervousness on Hitler's part. He killed millions for being the "wrong" race and yet he might not have been able to pass his own racial tests.

George L Gregory

Post by George L Gregory » 31 Jul 2022, 01:16

john2 wrote:
24 Jul 2022, 01:42
I personally don't think Hitler was Jewish but weren't his family records sealed or something? Out of fear someone might find something wrong? While I understand that sort of thing would be politically sensitive it suggests nervousness on Hitler's part. He killed millions for being the "wrong" race and yet he might not have been able to pass his own racial tests.
Hitler changed his genealogist: a large illustrated genealogical tree, put together by Rudolf Koppensteiner, appeared in Leipzig in 1937, to angry protests on the part of Frank. The new family researcher was from the Waldviertel district, was a distant relation to the Hitlers, and
therefore had easier access to the documents, which had become too hot to handle. He did not mention the name Salomon either. And he, too, took it to be certain that it was illegitimate Alois Schicklgruber’s father whom the mother later married, in other words, the miller’s assistant Georg Hiedler. Thus Hitler had an unblemished “Aryan” pedigree.

Astonishingly, neither genealogists nor journalists picked on the obvious weak spot in Hitler’s family tree, his father Alois Schicklgruber, who was born out of wedlock and whose father uncertain. After the Anschluss Waldviertel advanced to “the Führer's ancestral district” and paid homage to the Schicklgruber family’s famous offspring by way of Hitler oaks and honorary citizenships. Even his ancestors were honored: the church square at Dollersheim was renamed Alois Hitler Place. The alleged—no longer even identifiable—houses in Strones in which Hitler’s father and grandmother were born were spruced up as places of pilgrimage. Because graves of Hitler’s ancestors could no longer be found at the cemetery of Dollersheim, “the Führer's grandmother”— Maria Anna Schicklgruber—received a belated honorary grave.

Scores of journalists set out to look for heartrending stories about Hitler’s ancestors. When the people in Waldviertel finally competed with one another on being related to the “Führer's and Reich chancellor” and exhibited more or less fantastic family trees in all kinds of places, particularly in taverns, Hitler intervened in November 1938: “The Führer does not wish any family trees to be displayed which allegedly have anything to do with himself. Therefore the family trees now put up are to be removed immediately. As a precautionary measure, I furthermore advise you,” the Lower Danube district leader told the district captain, “that pursuant to the Fuhrer’s decision the display of memorial plaques meant to serve the memory of the Fuhrer’s ancestors or places where he stayed is prohibited.” In contrast to his beloved Linz, Hitler did not grant Waldviertel any privileges. In September 1938 he even forbade the town of Dollersheim to issue a stamp with the addition “the Fuhrer’s native town.”

Yet as early as August 1938 troop-training grounds were established in the area around Dollersheim, Zwettl, and Allensteig—of all places!— with over sixty square miles, the largest of their kind in Western Europe. People living there were transferred, and the villages, destroyed— including Strones, where Hitler’s father and grandmother were born (thirty-nine houses), and Klein-Motten (ten houses), where Maria Anna Hiedler, nee Schicklgruber, had died, and as late as 1942, Dollersheim (120 houses). This did not exactly attest to Hitler’s piety regarding his “ancestral district” and fed rumors that he was embarrassed about his ancestors and wanted to extinguish traces. However, the Dollersheim parish register, the only source for the Schicklgruber’s family history, was transferred to the closest parish, Rastenfeld, where it has survived intact to this day. Hitler did not want to hear anything about relatives: I’ve got no idea about family history. In that area I’m an absolute dunce. Even when I was younger I didn’t know I had relatives. I’ve only learned that since I became Reich chancellor. I am an entirely nonfamilial being, a nomclanning being by nature. That’s not my cup of tea. I only belong to my folkish community.

Not until after 1945 did Hitler’s personal attorney, Hans Frank, former governor general in Poland, make truly explosive material public: shortly before he was executed he wrote his memoirs—Im Angesicht des Galgens (Facing the gallows)—where he mentioned the following bonafide scoop: at the end of 1930, he wrote, Hitler had shown him a letter, commenting that this was “a disgusting blackmail story of one of his most repulsive relatives, concerning his, Hitler’s, ancestry.” The relative had dropped hints to the effect that “in connection with certain remarks in the press one would be well advised not to broadcast certain circumstances of our family history.” The point was that “Hitler had Jewish blood in his veins and therefore had scant credentials for being anti-Semitic.”

Frank claimed that after Hitler directed him to check confidentially into the matter, he found out “from all kinds of sources,” which he did not want to divulge, the following: Before the child was born, Hitler’s grandmother Schicklgruber had been a cook in Graz, in the household of a Jew by the name of Frankenberger; that she had become pregnant by the son of the house; and that for the next fourteen years she received child support payments for little Alois. There had been “a correspondence between these Frankenbergers and Hitler’s grandmother, which went on for years, and whose basic thrust it was that everyone had tacitly acknowleged that Schicklgruber’s illegitimate child was born under circumstances that obliged Frankenberger to pay child support.” According to his own racial laws, Hitler thus would have been a “quarter Jew” and not been able to produce the necessary ticket into the Third Reich, the “proof of Aryan descent.”

Frank was conspicuously ambiguous in leaving the impression that he did not find this theory implausible. It is with apparent deliberation that he made Hitler’s denial sound so extremely feeble: Hitler, he said, knew “that his father wasn’t the product of sexual intercourse between the Schicklgruber woman and the Graz Jew. He knew that from what his father and grandmother had told him.” Yet his grandmother had died forty-two years before Hitler was born.

However—and at that point Frank came up with a confusing explanation, allegedly directly from Hitler—“the two had no money. The child support the Jew paid for years was a highly welcome supplement to meagre poor household income. The Jew had been declared the child’s father because he had money, and he did pay without going to court, probably because he feared the outcome of a trial and the publicity it would entail.” In other words, Maria Anna Schicklgmber had only pretended that her mysterious employer’s son was the father to make him pay—a popular excuse during the Nazi era, when one’s “proof of Aryan descent” was in serious jeopardy because of an illegitimate birth and a Jewish father. With stories like this, Frank tried to explain Hitler’s hatred of the Jews as the result of a condition he called “psychotic hatred of one’s relatives due to a rebellion of one’s blood.”

To be sure, around 1830 there were no Jews living in Graz. After the expulsion of the Jewish community around 1500 under Maximilian I, the Styrian estates successfully blocked new Jewish settlements. Under Joseph II, in the late eighteenth century, Jews were again allowed to visit Graz, but only during the market season and for no longer than twenty-four hours at a time. Not until the passing of the basic laws of 1849 were Jews finally allowed to settle in Styria. From 1856 on Graz’s Jewish community kept a community register.

Furthermore, during the period in question, in 1836-37, there was no family in Graz by the name of Frankenberger, not even a non-Jewish one. To be sure, there were families by the name of Schicklgruber, but neither a Maria Anna nor an Anna Maria. The supposedly compromising correspondence never turned up, and no one ever mentioned it. Neither were there any indications ever for child-support payments to the child’s mother, who after all gave the boy to her brother-in-law after she got married, lived in poverty, and died when Alois was ten. And, most important, there is not the slightest indication that Maria Anna Schicklgruber ever left Waldviertel. Accepting employment in faraway Graz would have constituted an extraordinary step, which certainly would not have remained unnoticed within the Waldviertel circle of relatives. Migrating workers from Waldviertel typically went to Vienna, which is sixty miles away, or Linz, which is even closer, but hardly to Graz, which is twice as far away, beyond the Semmering. This would have been particularly unusual for maids, who around 1830 travelled on foot.

When her son was born, dirt-poor Maria Anna Schicklgruber was already forty-one years of age—which was considered rather old in the nineteenth century—and surely not exactly what people could afford in some rich houses: a young, poor, and, considering the danger of infection, if possible innocent maid from the country who was supposed to introduce the son of the household to “love”—and who then would not be able to fend off the other members of the family either. Furthermore, Frank displayed such ignorance about Hitler’s family relations that it is hard to believe Hitler was his source of information.

But now let us turn to Hitler’s blackmailing relative, who supposedly was the reason for his desire to find out what happened. This must clearly be William Patrick Hitler, born in 1911, the son of an Irish mother and Hitler’s half-brother Alois Jr. Shortly after the birth of the child, Alois disappeared—making his wife and child believe for years that he was dead—and remarried in Germany. In 1924 he was sentenced in court for bigamy.

When Hitler became famous, his poor Irish relatives, whom he did not know, saw their chance to make money and gave interviews to newspapers in England as “Hitler’s relatives.” Subsequently, in 1930, Hitler had nineteen-year-old Patrick, whom he had never met before, visit him in Munich, where he told him and his half-brother Alois that he forbade them to do things like that. He is supposed to have said that the family should not believe they could become famous at his expense: “You idiots!!” he was quoted to have shouted. “You’re going to do me in! . . . How carefully I have always kept my private life and my personal affairs from the press! People must not know who I am. They must not know where I’m from and who my family is. Not even in my book did I allow one word to come out about these things, not one word! And then all of a sudden there’s a nephew! A nephew! They will start investigating. They will sic snoopers on the tracks of our past.” In a newspaper interview in 1939 Patrick Hitler even said that his uncle had started sobbing and in his anger shed tears.

Later Hitler tried to deny that he was related to Alois, who had quite a criminal record. He said that Alois was not the son of his father but an orphan raised by the family. Yet Alois submitted the certificates of baptism as proof, according to which he was a premarital child of the second
wife of Alois Hitler Sr., who had legitimized the boy. There was no getting rid of Patrick. After 1933, while unemployed, Patrick travelled to Berlin toask his uncle for support. A hint at his father’s certificate of baptism sufficed to make Hitler, who evidently interpreted this as blackmail, pay. He got Patrick a job and occasionally gave him money, but he left no doubt that he was not interested in familial relations.

After almost six years in Berlin, Patrick returned to England in January 1939, shedding any restraint he may have had before. Despite their thin content, his interviews created a sensation: “My Uncle Adolf,” “Why I Hate My Uncle,” and the like. In 1939 he and his mother emigrated to the United States, where he made a living going on lecture tours about his “Uncle Adolf.” Patrick’s mother Bridget Hitler, too, waged her “private war against the Hitler family” in the newspapers, increasingly so after the war started. None of these interviews ever mentioned an alleged Jewish grandfather. How much money Patrick and Bridget could have made with that story! In an interview with the Secret Service in New York in 1943 the nephew also vehemently denied that Hitler’s godparents, Johann and Johanna Prinz, had been Jewish, as had been claimed in a recently published book. Neither did Bridget Hitler’s posthumously published memoirs contain the slightest indication in the direction of any Jewish relations.

The writer Franz Jetzinger illustrates how much manipulation went on in that area. He supported the Frankenberger theory by referring to an interview with Patrick Hitler in an issue of Paris Soir that was hard to come by—except, Jetzinger said, the nephew had mentioned the name “Frankenreiter” rather than Frankenberger. This, however, is pure invention: neither Frankenberger nor Frankenreiter are mentioned, nor were any other allegedly Jewish grandfathers of Hitler. Incidentally, investigations into the name “Frankenreiter” revealed that there was an impoverished Catholic butcher in Graz by that name. His son Franz, under suspicion of being Alois’s father, was ten years old at the time.

What needs to be pointed out is that the Frankenberger story has one single source: Hans Frank. In looking for a motive for his equivocal insinuations one cannot but suspect that the raging anti-Semite Frank even wanted to place the responsibility for an allegedly Jewish Hitler on the Jews, or at any rate rattle them by way of rumors.
Brigitte Hamann, Hitler's Vienna: A Dictator's Apprenticeship: A Portrait of the Tyrant as a Young Man.

john2

Post by john2 » 31 Jul 2022, 05:22

Thank you! I had read some of this before but this had more details I didn't know.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”