Hitler's study

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Torbjörn Aronsson

Re: Danke ...

Post by Torbjörn Aronsson » 04 Jan 2008, 00:33

The eagle and the fuehrer emblem ones are fascinating. This has been a very interesting topic to read through. It was asked, but I didn't see any answers to the question of if it was known what other '8 items' were stolen from the Russians along with Hitler's PB. Anyone know? Also, back on to the eagle from the pictures. I've seen the large on kept in London (very interesting to see) but are there any other museums that have any large Reich Eagles displayed?
The large eagle by Kurt Schmid-Ehmen once placed at the Honour Courtyard of the RC is now at the Red Army Museum in Moscow.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 04 Jan 2008, 00:56

bfalcs30 wrote:
Potsdamerplatz wrote:More photographs of Hitler's study:

Image Image

Image Image

Kind regards.
Is it just me or does his study look a little bit larger than 20 feet square with 15 foot ceilings... I have 10 foot ceilings in my house and they don't look anything near what were in place in Hitler's study
I believe I have documentation stating the ceilings were 30 feet high in his office; I'll check to confirm... :)
Rob

Johnnyrocket

Re: Hitler's study

Post by Johnnyrocket » 10 Jul 2011, 00:27

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... start=1500

On page 101 (follow link inserted above) to this Forum thread on the Berlin Chancery.

What you are going to see is the actual wall sconce/light that was in Hitler's Berlin Chancery office.
This light was at the right of his desk as a person would be facing it. Very intereresting story on how
it was liberated and where it is today 7/9/11.

Johnny R. :D

alterry21

Post by alterry21 » 30 Jul 2015, 01:38

Here is a photo of a piece of the marble top table. It was bough back by a soldier in the 2nd AD.
Attachments
desk3.jpg
desk3.jpg (12.51 KiB) Viewed 1467 times

bigger_chief

Post by bigger_chief » 23 Nov 2015, 03:12

Early photo of Hitler in his study in the brown house, about 1933.
Sala-Spielkarte XI 3 - 0000701662 A.jpg
Photo comes from Scala playing card

ArmchairSamurai

Post by ArmchairSamurai » 29 Jul 2022, 22:02

Pity that most of the photos in this thread are not accessible anymore. I had nowhere to upload the following, so forgive me for reviving this thread: two more photos of the Russians posing with Hitler's globe, but from different angles.
Attachments
russians with hitlers globe 2.jpg
russians with hitlers globe 1.jpg
There are three sorts of people; those who are alive, those who are dead, and those who are at sea.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 29 Jul 2022, 22:31

I assume that these last two photos were taken in Hitler's office in the New Reichschancellery, and not in the Great Hall at the Berghof, where there was another large world globe.

Br. James

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 30 Jul 2022, 01:00

Br. James wrote:
29 Jul 2022, 22:31
I assume that these last two photos were taken in Hitler's office in the New Reichschancellery, and not in the Great Hall at the Berghof, where there was another large world globe.

Br. James
One of the photos shows good detail of the ceiling of the room they're in. Compare that detail with photos of the Berghof ceiling. They do look similar! But I'm pretty sure the Russians didn't get to the Berghof, at least before the globe was destroyed/removed. Every man and his dog got there post-war of course, but the globe was long gone by then. I don't think there's any doubt about it. I'm calling it for the RK. The Russians were all over that! The other photo has a caption under it. There could be location info in that. If someone cares to get that into Google Translate we might find out.
Attachments
f.jpg

VanillaNuns

Post by VanillaNuns » 30 Jul 2022, 01:17

Hi Br James, I'm pretty sure it's the Reich Cabinet Room in the photos above. It was just along the corridor from Hitler's study. Entry was through the door on the left hand side of the study, directly opposite Hitler's desk.

It's definitely the Chancellery in Berlin though as I've seen many photos and even a few video clips. There are multiple sources claiming there were at least 3 globes in existence - 2 in the Chancellery and the other at the Berghof.

I've attached a photo.

One of the surviving globes is now on display in the German Historical Museum in Berlin.
Attachments
globe.jpg
57b4937f9e4fb.jpg

CraigM

Post by CraigM » 30 Jul 2022, 01:51

VanillaNuns wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 01:17
It's definitely the Chancellery in Berlin though
There you go! :) It might still be interesting to get the caption translated and see what it says.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 30 Jul 2022, 16:02

Thanks for your response, VanillaNuns, and I agree that there were definitely three large globes in existence: One in the Great Hall at the Berghof (in the corner by the huge window), one in Hitler's Study at the New Reichschancellery (just beyond the French doors out onto the terrace), and another in the State Cabinet Room at the New Reichschancellery -- this last as shown in the lower photo in your note #99 above.

It would be interesting to know which one(s) of these three globes survived and where they are now. And also, if there is any way of knowing where each of the three was originally situated. I also thank you for your statement that: "One of the surviving globes is now on display in the German Historical Museum in Berlin." While I would assume that the one at the Berlin Historical Museum is one of the two from the New Reichschancellery, I wonder if there is any marking on each globe which identifies it to any specific location?

Br. James

Ecam

Post by Ecam » 31 Jul 2022, 21:22

I took the photo below in the Berlin Deutsches Museum in 2016. I made a note for myself to go along with the photo. The plaque on the display case stated that this globe was one of the three that were made, and that this globe had been in Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop's office at the foreign ministry.
Attachments
Globe.JPG

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 01 Aug 2022, 15:50

"In Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop's office at the foreign ministry," eh?!?! Well, the Foreign Ministry Building was right next door to the old Reichschancellery on the Wilhelmstrasse, so perhaps someone was confused amid the tremendous post-war rubble there? But the locations of the two globes in the New Reichschancellery were quite a distance from the Foreign Ministry -- Hitler's Study and the State Cabinet Room being in the Voss-Strasse side of the building.

It would make sense that there should be such a globe in the Foreign Minister's Office, of course, so perhaps there were four globes produced, not three?

Br. James

Mannheim

Post by Mannheim » 02 Aug 2022, 00:01

Some information on the various globes (and Hitler's desk) from my blog: https://vossstrasse.com/2018/11/05/a-word-of-warning/
Kein Irrtum ist so groß, der nicht seinen Zuhörer hat.

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 02 Aug 2022, 21:44

Dear Mannerheim -- very helpful and enlightening -- thanks so much!

Br. James

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”