1945 Lost German girl

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
CarlosXander

Re: 1945 Lost German girl

Post by CarlosXander » 20 Jul 2022, 00:12

ello
the only mention of what happened there that May 8 is in the book “Na demarkační čáře, Americká armáda v Čechách v ruce 1945” on page 77 says the following "near Ejpovice a group of captives take advantage of the confusion, where many people had gathered, tried to escape, that group tried to escape through the meadow, fences, gardens and under the bridge, some took other soldiers and accompanying civilians as hostages, the American soldiers were not intimidated and shot at that group, murdered 8 Germans and then there is another confrontation with civilians from the town with which 26 more Germans die"
One theory that is believed as to why this happened was that Haglund and his camera partner moved away to film the largest group (about 1800) when they surrendered in Pilsen, this was interpreted that the cameramen were moved away to shoot that group of 200 SS and there are no witnesses what caused them to escape to Pilsen...

In another topic I found photos of German civilians and soldiers in the Borislavka district outside of Prague on May 10, I don't know if it is in that place as the photos say (that place was the massacre of German civilians by Czech partisans) maybe the forum member Hans1906 can help

and German civilians elsewhere in Czechoslovakia in May (date and location of photo not specified)

Cheers

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 20 Jul 2022, 14:13

Good afternoon wirklich,

your "analysis" of the events at that time is too "deep" for me personally, I don't want to know and see all that.

Personally, what I've read and the photos I've seen are enough for me, more than enough.
If you like to call something like "burying your head in the sand", then that's fine with me personally.

The three-week visit by my mother and me in the early 1970s in the former Sudetenland was almost unbearable, the lady was walking in old footsteps, I just wanted to get away, back to Germany.

I was never further away from my mother, and never closer, it was a horrible experience that I wouldn't wish on any of you.

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

ignacioosacar1

Post by ignacioosacar1 » 20 Jul 2022, 16:29

Dear Forum

wirklich has an ENORMOUS analysis talent ! It is a privilege to have him onboard

Cheers

ignacioosacar1

Post by ignacioosacar1 » 20 Jul 2022, 16:30

Dear Forum

wirklich has an ENORMOUS analysis talent ! It is a privilege to have him onboard

Cheers

ignacioosacar1

Post by ignacioosacar1 » 20 Jul 2022, 16:33

Dear Hans1906

You are welcome !

Cheers

wirklich

Post by wirklich » 21 Jul 2022, 11:20

ignacioosacar1 wrote:
20 Jul 2022, 16:30
Dear Forum

Cheers
Thankyou ignacioosacar1.
If I had better computer skills, I could have added the pictures so you would not have to go back to the videos. It would be much easier to understand.
If someone wanted to add a gallery of screen shots from the videos it would help.
I have tried but nothing worked for me.
I do have the advantage of watching this on a big HD TV and I have watched it many times.
Last edited by wirklich on 21 Jul 2022, 11:22, edited 1 time in total.

Gradus

Post by Gradus » 30 Jul 2022, 15:05

Hello all. I am new here. I got until page 67 so far. Somewhere in 2013 someone claimed to be LGG's grandson. He claimed he would submit pics of here from (I believe) 1940 and some other pics of her belongings at that time. But he would ask her for her permission first. He never posted again (as far as I can see). Could it not be that he was telling the truth but that his grandmother did forbid him to post anymore? Also he mentioned that she was born in 1925. That would make her 97 years old now. It is possible she is still alive because he also mentioned that only after her death he would submit more info to anyone who would be interested? Has anyone ever heard from him again? And is it not possible to send him a personal message through this site?

wirklich

Post by wirklich » 30 Jul 2022, 23:22

Gradus wrote:
30 Jul 2022, 15:05
Hello all. I am new here. I got until page 67 so far. Somewhere in 2013 someone claimed to be LGG's grandson. He claimed he would submit pics of here from (I believe) 1940 and some other pics of her belongings at that time. But he would ask her for her permission first. He never posted again (as far as I can see). Could it not be that he was telling the truth but that his grandmother did forbid him to post anymore? Also he mentioned that she was born in 1925. That would make her 97 years old now. It is possible she is still alive because he also mentioned that only after her death he would submit more info to anyone who would be interested? Has anyone ever heard from him again? And is it not possible to send him a personal message through this site?
Welcome Gradus,
It is good to see someone new here. I hope you read ALL of the pages.
Approximately 0.3% or 3 in 1000 live to reach 97.
Was she civilian or military?
Was she retained by the Americans or turned over to the Russians?
What nationality was she?
Was her homeland under Russian control now?
If she was from Sudetenland, she was now homeless, where would she have to go?
Did she have any family to return to for help?
If she was military and not from Germany, (Holland etc...) could she return home without facing some retaliation?
Did she survive her time in an American POW camp? Some died, did she?
Did she survive her time in a Russian POW camp? Many died, did she?
The first years after the war were harsh. Many died, did she?
The average life span after the war in Europe was shorter, how long did she live to be? 26? 97?
Many women were never married after the war. Was she?
Did she have any family?
If she survived and had children, the odds are she is no longer alive and possibly none her children either.
When I read a post where someone claims to know who the woman is/was but cannot tell anything reminds me of children. I know something you don't know. I know a secret, but I can't or won't tell you.
If they really have another picture post it. There is already film footage of the woman and one more picture will not compromise her identity.
Unless it some type of identity card which no one has and may not exist. At this point in time if someone came forward with one, I would not believe it unless it was extensively examined.
If someone had a picture of this woman from WW2, the chances of someone recognizing her are just about 0 if she were still alive.
So, posting their picture should not be a problem unless they have no picture.
We know what she looked like.
Here is a cleaned-up picture of the woman by stello post#390
download/file.php?id=218172
As I said before I don't think the woman or anyone that knew her ever saw the film footage.

Gradus

Post by Gradus » 31 Jul 2022, 07:55

Wirklich, thanks for the reply. And the questions as I understand are not for me to answer obviously. But your last sentence is something I am wondering about ('As I said before I don't think the woman or anyone that knew her ever saw the film footage.'). The footage exists since 1945 but when did it become public? And when in it did, where was it shown? I cannot find that anywhere but I only watched it for the very first time recently and I was right away intrigued. It's a haunting scene. Just like the Vietnam war pic of Phan Thi Kim Phuc for example. But how many people really did watch the Pilsen footage? And when did they watch it? Most likely she was German but she could also have been a Dutch girl from the Flak station in Prague. So if this footage was shown in both The Netherlands and Germany then indeed I would think someone might have recognized her. However, in 2008 we were 67 years after the ending of the war. So if there were any Dutch or German people from around that time were watching this they might have been around 70 to 100 years old.... So perhaps their memory would not have been in good order anymore. It is too late now to have anyone who would have known 'our' girl to recognize her from this footage. Had this footage been more exposed and for example the seventies, then I am sure her identity would have been known. My own grandmother talked about the war a lot. They had Wehrmacht soldiers living with them in their house at that time. But had my grandmother watched this footage then she would have been intrigued by it too. And so would a lot of other people have been at that time. Also in Germany. But again; the time has passed where we have people amongst us who would really recognize LGG due to the fact that they really knew her or encountered her in real life.
But I suppose all we've got is us here at this forum trying to figure out who she was. And hoping that something good came out of here being with the US Army and that she had a prosperous life afterwards. Most of us here are probably intrigued by WWII and with all the bad things going on a that time we want a feel good story I believe. And that could be LGG.
That is why I was hoping the 'grandson's' story was true. And it may or may not be but until he will resurface again, we'll never know.

Anyway, this contribution of mine does not at all help solving the mystery but it's just my thoughts. And I will keep on reading the rest of the forum but I just wanted to find out if the grandson ever came back here.

wirklich

Post by wirklich » 31 Jul 2022, 13:01

After all the woman had been through would she watch The World At War?
The woman was shown for about 11 seconds at the beginning of The World At War, episode 25. Reckoning. May1,1974. By Thames in England.
They did not play all of the film footage of her.
Back then TVs were small.
In 1974 it was about 11 seconds of fame, and most people would have focused on her facial injuries. No VCR no internet. If you did not watch it that night you missed it.
Yes, it was played again latter, and other people have shown the film.
With all the brutality that was shown, she does not stand out. Certainly not like the man on the ground that appears after her. His image was used again. Hers was not.
If she was alive then and had not aged prematurely, gained weight.... would she be recognized? It would depend on many things. What country did she live in? If she lived in East Germany, would she have seen it? Did she live in the country on a farm or small place or in a city? Did she work or stay at home? Did she have any family? Did she live alone? It would all depend on how much she changed, where she lived, how many people knew her and if they ever saw The World At War.
If she was from/lived in a country other than Germany and had a non-German accent, would she be recognized, or would someone just think that she looks like my Dutch aunt in Amsterdam?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3p7byx The episode on YouTube does not seem to be available right now.

Gradus

Post by Gradus » 31 Jul 2022, 14:03

Yes, lots of questions still. Actually if you read through this forum then what was pretty much established is the location of where she was filmed. Other than that her identity is still unknown after 167 pages. But I do not agree that she did not stand out. I think the fact that this forum has been going on for 14 years now is due to the fact that she did stand out. I have seen (like lots of you I suppose) a lot of footage about WWII but some of it catches us more than others. There is plenty of brutality to be found of course but somehow the LGG has mesmerized us in such a way that after 14 years people still try to figure out who she is/was. So let's keep going..

Gradus

Post by Gradus » 31 Jul 2022, 15:19

Anyway, I also sent an email to the person who claimed to be LGG's grandson (in German). Will see whether I will get a reply..

CarlosXander

Post by CarlosXander » 31 Jul 2022, 17:37

hello
with the theme of LGG's grandson it was an interesting moment but it gave clues that it could be false, but over time that theme could be plausible, with the possible names and supposed life of LGG after the war it is diluted with what was coming to me in information, perhaps that she is a civilian who is a military officer gaining strength and the only information that could be obtained was through a family member as was this case, if we put it in contact it could be true that she is an employee of a factory like affirmed either by their DAF identification that they were handed over to civil, administrative personnel, etc.
Unfortunately, as everything is just theories and there is nothing at all about her whereabouts or what happened to her life after the war and from what I see I don't think it is known, a pity
Changing the subject a bit, I'm following the trail if she could be from the Netherlands, since as explained in the book "Zur Problematik von Soldatinnen" there were many women from there and other civilians from that area who were taken to work, was she one of these people? I don't know yet but everything is probable
Cheers

Gradus

Post by Gradus » 31 Jul 2022, 19:03

Has anyone ever checked this: https://www.ww2.dk/Airfields%20-%20Czechoslovakia.pdf ? It's got all the operational Luftwaffe units listed as well plus the years they were active there. There's been a discussion before about the pants but those are indeed female Luftwaffe pants. There is a Pinterest account with Flak Helferinnen as well: https://www.pinterest.com/AlliesAxisWom ... lferinnen/ .
And excuses for when I post something that has been posted already..

CarlosXander

Post by CarlosXander » 31 Jul 2022, 19:12

Hello, the first thing I did not have, interesting to find some information, the other pinterest page I already knew and I always look for some other photo to compare... everything works and thanks
Cheers

Return to “Women in the Reich”