German units/actions Futa Pass, 8–11 Sep 43

Discussions on WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean. Hosted by Andy H
jwsleser

German units/actions Futa Pass, 8–11 Sep 43

Post by jwsleser » 29 Sep 2022, 16:01

I am reaching out to find any information on the Germans units involved in the actions at the Futa pass, just north of Firenze Italy. Any info on these units or those that eventually secured Firenze on 11 Sep would be wonderful.

Italian accounts state there were multiple fights for the pass during Operation Achse. The German units involved were likely from the II SS Pz Corps but the Italian records don't offer that information. One German unit came from Firenze (possibly a garrison unit in that city) while others came from Bologna.

As always, cites of any proffered information are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

PeterIstegal

Re: German units/actions Futa Pass, 8–11 Sep 43

Post by PeterIstegal » 05 Oct 2022, 15:56

Hello Jeff,
the Germans had an Air-Station at the Futa-Pass, where now there is the German Cemetery. The unit was the 1st Company Luftnachrichten-Richtverbindungs-Abteilung z.b.V. 2. On 8th September 1943 this Station (10 German soldiers) was attacked by several Italians unit. The Italian asked the German to abandon the Pass and dismiss the Radio-Station. The German refuse to abandon the Pass, so the Italian decided to attack the Radio-Station: at least two Germans were killed and the others withdraw.
However on 9th September a Kampfgruppe of the 24. Panzer-Division arrived at the Pass from Bologna and reconquered the positions. The unit stated that around 200 Italian soldiers and 4 tanks were located in the the area.

The Italian units that took part in this action were essentially a Bataillon of the "Nembo" and some units of Bersaglieri. The Officer who lead the action was Major Giovanni Toffirelli.

Sources:
NARA, T314, Roll 1609; NARA, T354, Roll 606; Bianchi Susanna, Del Conte Alessandro, Come pesci nell'acqua. Mondo rurale, resistenza e primo dopoguerra nella vallata del Mugello 1943-1946, Comune di Vicchio, Firenze, 1985; Paoli Angiolo, Paoli Pier Luigi, Gensini Valentina, Dalla Futa al Falterona. Per non dimenticare. Firenze e la Linea Gotica 1943/1944, Edizioni Il Filo, Borgo San Lorenzo, 2014.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 05 Oct 2022, 17:01

Peter

Thank you. Excellent information.

Yes the Italian unit was initially the 56ª cp. of the XIX btg. para. from the ragg. «Ciclone». The Italian accounts have the fighting as a series of actions during 9–10 Sep, with attacks and counter attacks by both sides. Maggiore Taffiorelli commanded Sectore E with the XIX btg. commanded by magg. Giuseppe Blotto as part of his forces.

The 4ª cp. motociclisti Bersaglieri from the 18º RECo with a plt. of semoventi da 47 were involved in an Italian counterattack the morning of 10 Sep.

I need to see if I can sort through the KG from the 24. Panzer Division.

Again thank you!

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

PeterIstegal

Post by PeterIstegal » 05 Oct 2022, 20:14

jwsleser wrote:
05 Oct 2022, 17:01
Peter

Thank you. Excellent information.

Yes the Italian unit was initially the 56ª cp. of the XIX btg. para. from the ragg. «Ciclone». The Italian accounts have the fighting as a series of actions during 9–10 Sep, with attacks and counter attacks by both sides. Maggiore Taffiorelli commanded Sectore E with the XIX btg. commanded by magg. Giuseppe Blotto as part of his forces.

The 4ª cp. motociclisti Bersaglieri from the 18º RECo with a plt. of semoventi da 47 were involved in an Italian counterattack the morning of 10 Sep.

I need to see if I can sort through the KG from the 24. Panzer Division.

Again thank you!

Pista! Jeff
I also thank you for the informations on the exactly units of the Italian. There is an official account on the Event?
I only know that there were several Panzer IV (I have some photos in my archive) and that than the order was to occupy Firenze. Also the German sources says that was sent a "Tactical Group of the 24. Panzer-Division", but didn't mention the composition of the KG.

Greetings from Italy,

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 05 Oct 2022, 21:32

Good evening Peter

I have not found an official Italian account of the defense of the Apennine Passes. I have been assembling sources to reconstruct this battle for my book on the paracadutisti italiani. I should add that the semoventi are from the 5ª cp. LXIX btg. Bersaglieri. Capitano berg. Alfonso Quaranta commanded the bersaglieri detachment. The 7ª cp./127º rgt. f. was also involved in the fighting.

The book itself is mainly finished. I am trying to fill-in some missing information if I can. Is the information on the weather detachment from T354 r. 606 (II SS PzK)? I have ordered a copy of T315 r.805 (24 PzD) to see if I can pin down the KG.

Greeting from the USA!

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Return to “WW2 in Africa & the Mediterranean”