Anti-Tank Warfare

Discussions on the fortifications, artillery, & rockets used by the Axis forces.
KirkR63

Anti-Tank Warfare

Post by KirkR63 » 26 Oct 2022, 20:18

Good day All,
I am doing some preliminary research into anti-tank warfare by both the Germans and the Allies in World War 2. Furthermore, I am wondering if anyone knows or has some decent material, manuals, staff rides, books on battles/campaigns that anti-tank warfare doctrine/tactics played a significant role in the outcome of the battle

In addition, I am also researching the role of antitank history. I do have the normal books: Men Against Tanks, Tank Hunting and Tank Killers, plus some manuals on anti-mechanized defense. Any and all suggestions are very welcomed.

PS If anyone has any material written by Ernst Volckheim in English, I would also appreciate it!

Thank you all in advance>

KirkR63

Jens Andersen

Re: Anti-Tank Warfare

Post by Jens Andersen » 28 Oct 2022, 10:26

Hi,
You can find some original, German material on anti-tank warfare here:
https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/invenio/main.xhtml
Search for "Panzerabwehr"
- Tick the box "Nur Treffer mit Digitalisaten anzeigen"

Jens

tigre

Post by tigre » 19 Dec 2022, 01:59

Hello to all :D; a complement............................

3.7 cm PAK 36 in the mountain war.

Sources: L773 Greece CRETE Cave hunter Gebirgs-Ari 3.7cm PAK Cave fightf crete !
L774 Greece CRETE Gebirgshunger Gebirgs-Ari 3.7cm PAK Gebirgskampf crete !

Cheers. Raul M 8-).

Feliz Navidad - Feliz Natal - Frohe Weihnachten - Joyeux Noël - Merry Christmas - Wesołych Świąt! :wink:
Attachments
image028.jpg
Carrying a 3.7 cm Pak to a dominant terrain.........................
image028.jpg (55.47 KiB) Viewed 414 times
image025.jpg
The gun in position............................
image025.jpg (36.26 KiB) Viewed 414 times

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 19 Dec 2022, 13:25

KirkR63 wrote:
26 Oct 2022, 20:18
Good day All,
I am doing some preliminary research into anti-tank warfare by both the Germans and the Allies in World War 2. Furthermore, I am wondering if anyone knows or has some decent material, manuals, staff rides, books on battles/campaigns that anti-tank warfare doctrine/tactics played a significant role in the outcome of the battle

In addition, I am also researching the role of antitank history. I do have the normal books: Men Against Tanks, Tank Hunting and Tank Killers, plus some manuals on anti-mechanized defense. Any and all suggestions are very welcomed.

PS If anyone has any material written by Ernst Volckheim in English, I would also appreciate it!

Thank you all in advance>

KirkR63
For British Anti tank doctrine read the following

Pemberton Artillery equipment and tactics in the Second World War (1951) Not cheap, but the Official History and is in some of the bigger libraries IWM, Australian War memorial etc.

Blitzkrieg by F O Miksche (1942) https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLITZKRIEG-F-M ... B000X2H47C An influential contemporary book analysing Blitzkrieg and how to stop one.

Bidwell and Graham Fire Power: The British Army - Weapons and Theories of War, 1904-1945:

The big British developments can be seen in the North Africa Campaign. Eventually the British discover that the best way to stop panzers is to allow or force them to do battle againstb dug in anti tank guns. There are lots of histories.

Regarding the Normandy Campaign: there =are several instances where anti tank weapons played a significant part e.g. the failure of German attempts to throw the British and Canadians into the sea. The defeat of the counter stroke against the Scottish corridor and the defence of the Caen- Falaise axis by the Germans. Check out.
Gunners in Normandy https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gunners-Norman ... 0750990449
and
D Day Gunners. https://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Day-Gunners- ... C96&sr=1-1

Both contain sections on anti tank doctrine and organisation.

Return to “Fortifications, Artillery, & Rockets”