5 Staffel LLG 1

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Eg4205Poh!

5 Staffel LLG 1

Post by Eg4205Poh! » 16 Nov 2022, 10:44

Does anyone know what role the above unit performed? Were they infantry/air crew/mixed? (My father was in this unit before joining 2/3 FJR and I am trying to trace his background prior to FJR).

Thanks for any input.
Very best regards
Eileen

FransN

Re: 5 Staffel LLG 1

Post by FransN » 16 Nov 2022, 12:05

Hi Eileen,
Although the Luftwaffe is not my field of interest, I know that LLG means Luftlandegeschwader. Such units were equipped with obsolete He-111 and Do-17 bombers that were towing glider planes (e.g. DFS230) filled with parachutists (or maybe cargo?). The 5. Staffel is probably part of the II. Gruppe of the Geschwader (II./LLG 1).
I did a quick and dirty search in the search function with the term "Luftlandegeschwader" and got 22 hits. One of these hits mentions II./LLG 1 as a possible participant in Operation "Rösselsprung", the attempt to capture Tito in his HQ in Drvar, Yugoslavia, in May 1944.
Another hit mentions a book by Schlaug on Luftlande units (in German). Apparently he is an expert on this topic.
Maybe 5./LLG 1 also participated in anti-partisan operations on the Vercors plateau (near Grenoble, France) in late July 1944, but this is just a wild guess.
Hope this is a bit of a help. Good luck!
Best regards,
Frans

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 16 Nov 2022, 17:10

Eg4205Poh! wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 10:44
Does anyone know what role the above unit performed? Were they infantry/air crew/mixed? (My father was in this unit before joining 2/3 FJR and I am trying to trace his background prior to FJR).

Thanks for any input.
Very best regards
Eileen
Eileen,

I have a 3 or 4 page history of LLG 1 in English. If you will send me a PM with your e-mail address, I will send it to you as an e-mail attachment.

Larry deZeng

Eg4205Poh!

Post by Eg4205Poh! » 20 Nov 2022, 11:10

Hi Lsrry

Thanks sooo very much.

My email address is [email protected]

With very best regards
Eileen

Eg4205Poh!

Post by Eg4205Poh! » 20 Nov 2022, 11:24

FransN wrote:
16 Nov 2022, 12:05
Hi Eileen,
Although the Luftwaffe is not my field of interest, I know that LLG means Luftlandegeschwader. Such units were equipped with obsolete He-111 and Do-17 bombers that were towing glider planes (e.g. DFS230) filled with parachutists (or maybe cargo?). The 5. Staffel is probably part of the II. Gruppe of the Geschwader (II./LLG 1).
I did a quick and dirty search in the search function with the term "Luftlandegeschwader" and got 22 hits. One of these hits mentions II./LLG 1 as a possible participant in Operation "Rösselsprung", the attempt to capture Tito in his HQ in Drvar, Yugoslavia, in May 1944.
Another hit mentions a book by Schlaug on Luftlande units (in German). Apparently he is an expert on this topic.
Maybe 5./LLG 1 also participated in anti-partisan operations on the Vercors plateau (near Grenoble, France) in late July 1944, but this is just a wild guess.
Hope this is a bit of a help. Good luck!
Best regards,
Frans
Thanks very much for you interest and input.

These forums are amazing!! Especially helpful while I wait for information from Bundesarchiv and other overloaded archives to respond.

Thankfully my dad was captured in Ortona/Villa Grande on 26.12.43 (in FJR3 as a Fallschirmjager) and taken out of the war to USA as POW, then to Scotland where he met and married my mum and had 5 kids. Happy ending for him but not for do many others. He lost 3 brothers and a sister and for several years thought his mum also dead ...but she found her only surviving child in the late fifties and corresponded until his (early at 43) death. She was then under Russian (East German) rule so couldn't travel freely.

Thanks again and very best regsrds
Eileen

Larry D.

Post by Larry D. » 20 Nov 2022, 17:00

Hi Eileen,

File with information sent a few minutes ago to your e-mail address.

Larry deZ.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”