How would the German KV's have performed in Malta?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
seungseung22

How would the German KV's have performed in Malta?

Post by seungseung22 » 24 Nov 2022, 13:56

Hi there,

I am posting this here because the "What If" board is mainly for strategic discussion.

Several Captured KV1's and KV2's were transported to Sicily for Panzer-Abteilung z.b.V. 66, which was planned to participate in the invasion of Malta, However, The operation was cancelled after the victory at Gazala.

But if hypothetically, If the invasion happened, and the axis forces managed to get a beachhead in Malta, How would the KV's have performed? Malta was one of the most fortified places at that time, and the KV2 was originally designed as a Bunker-Buster tank (that was rarely used in that role), so would the KV's have done well or bad at Malta?

Contender

Re: How would the German KV's have performed in Malta?

Post by Contender » 25 Nov 2022, 04:36

It would have broken down and got stuck on the beaches most likely as vehicle was notoriously unreliable in soviet us but also given how fortified malta was I think the following question is pertinent:
Did the Germans develop concrete penetrating rounds for the KV-2's gun?
IIRC the Kv-2 was never issued any in soviet service despite there (allegedly) being a round made for naval use.

Alejandro_

Post by Alejandro_ » 25 Nov 2022, 12:10

Contender wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 04:36
It would have broken down and got stuck on the beaches most likely as vehicle was notoriously unreliable in soviet us but also given how fortified malta was I think the following question is pertinent:
Did the Germans develop concrete penetrating rounds for the KV-2's gun?
IIRC the Kv-2 was never issued any in soviet service despite there (allegedly) being a round made for naval use.
KV-2 reliability was not great but I don't think it would cover long distances in the operation. Well trained drivers would also be expected, which can help with the availability.

KV-2s were issued to units. By 1st of June the Soviet Army had 134 KV-2s deployed in different Military Districts (MD):

- Moscow MD: 1
- Leningrad MD: 2 in training centers.
- Baltic MD: 19 in the 2nd Tank Division, 3rd Mechanized Corps.
- Western MD: 22 in the 6th Mechanized Corps.
- Kiev MD: 89 tanks in different units. The distribution is not very clear. The 4th Mechanized Corps operated 58 (31 in 32nd Tank and 32 in 8th). Another 26 served in the 8th Mechanized Corps.

http://alejandro-8.blogspot.com/2016/09 ... -kv-2.html

seungseung22

Post by seungseung22 » 25 Nov 2022, 13:19

Even if the KV2's broke down right after getting out of the beach, Couldn't it just hurl shells into the fortifications?
IIRC, Most of the KV2's losses were due to mechanical issues leading to the crew abandoning the vehicle, as the tank was not designed to move by its own propulsion for long amounts of time

Also, What non-naval guns on Malta could penetrate the armor of the KV's? Would it be easily penetrated and knocked out, or would it be impervious to the allied tanks and Anti-Tank guns on the island?

Thanks.

Erik1

Post by Erik1 » 25 Nov 2022, 19:11

Someone here said that KV reliability issues may have partly been exaggerated by crews abandoning tanks to save their lives during early stage Barbarossa, blaming breakdowns.

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 02 Dec 2022, 10:38

I mean a bunch of KV's against at most the 57mm 6 pounder is lopsided in favor of the KV's.

Apparently 40mm Bofors could punch through if it hit the same spot repeatedly and I believe some 40mm's were on the island.

With support? KV's could do some major damage.

With incompetent usage? They get swarmed and shot to slag.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”