More Information / ID about this photo?

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
blackmetalhistorian

More Information / ID about this photo?

Post by blackmetalhistorian » 05 Jan 2023, 08:33

Hi, I'm looking for more information about these Germans soldiers on the Russian Front.
The original is found here [http://miliblog.co.uk/?p=1905&creativep ... tivepage=9] towards the bottom (#1179). Only general info is given. If anyone knows the date, exact place, the unit, etc, in this photo, I'd appreciate it!
Attachments
Germans on Russian Front.jpg

Hans1906
Banned

Re: More Information / ID about this photo?

Post by Hans1906 » 05 Jan 2023, 19:27

Hi blackmetalhistorian,

What do you think, one can glean from this photo of the German soldiers in their winter camouflage suits..?

Is there a source for this photo, a location, any clue..?

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 05 Jan 2023, 21:18

blackmetalhistorian wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 08:33
Hi, I'm looking for more information about these Germans soldiers on the Russian Front.
The original is found here [http://miliblog.co.uk/?p=1905&creativep ... tivepage=9] towards the bottom (#1179). Only general info is given. If anyone knows the date, exact place, the unit, etc, in this photo, I'd appreciate it!
If there is no other information, then my version (without any right to make claims for false information) is as follows:
1. Location: Don Steppe;
2. Time: December 1942 - January 1943;
3. Formation: motorized infantry regiment of the Wehrmacht tank division with attached rear units (motorized infantry in white camouflage, soldiers from attached units without camouflage).
4. Direction of movement: from east to west. In the Don steppes, rivers flow, as a rule, from south to north or from north to south (that is, along the meridian). At the same time, the west bank of the river is always much higher (from 20 to 120 meters) than the east bank. This is a consequence of the rotation of the earth around the axis (Coriolis force). The rivers are located at a distance of 20-40 kilometers. The surface of the steppe is flat, rising smoothly from the eastern bank of one river to the western bank of the next river. People are in the floodplain of the river, the west bank is visible in the distance.
At the time indicated above, the 6th, 7th, 11th, 17th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th Tank Divisions operated in the Don Steppes.

blackmetalhistorian

Post by blackmetalhistorian » 05 Jan 2023, 23:07

Yuri wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 21:18
blackmetalhistorian wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 08:33
If there is no other information, then my version (without any right to make claims for false information) is as follows:
1. Location: Don Steppe;
2. Time: December 1942 - January 1943;
3. Formation: motorized infantry regiment of the Wehrmacht tank division with attached rear units (motorized infantry in white camouflage, soldiers from attached units without camouflage).
4. Direction of movement: from east to west. In the Don steppes, rivers flow, as a rule, from south to north or from north to south (that is, along the meridian). At the same time, the west bank of the river is always much higher (from 20 to 120 meters) than the east bank. This is a consequence of the rotation of the earth around the axis (Coriolis force). The rivers are located at a distance of 20-40 kilometers. The surface of the steppe is flat, rising smoothly from the eastern bank of one river to the western bank of the next river. People are in the floodplain of the river, the west bank is visible in the distance.
At the time indicated above, the 6th, 7th, 11th, 17th, 22nd, 23rd, 27th Tank Divisions operated in the Don Steppes.
Wow, I'm amazed! I will definitely take note that this is your version of it but this is very useful information, maybe it can aid me in searching for even more. Cheers!

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”