Need help with my Beretta

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
JoeyR

Need help with my Beretta

Post by JoeyR » 10 Jan 2023, 21:28

Hi, I apparently at one time created an account and totally forgot about it. Anyway I am looking for some help identifying the proof mark on my pistol, thanks to this site I know what the Crown and P.D. Mark is but am having difficulty finding the meaning of the top mark. Also based on SN can anyone help to identify the year? I will add some pictures to better help.
4F3FA6EA-8AF2-4CC5-BA7D-86B075664393.jpeg
FE9B3114-2432-400D-9CA2-16DB19692532.jpeg
E2937DEF-6FD4-4F80-9CC1-D53AD7484378.jpeg

jwsleser

Re: Need help with my Beretta

Post by jwsleser » 11 Jan 2023, 18:40

I am not a Beretta expert. Dating M34/M35 Berettas can be difficult as Beretta didn't maintain detailed records.

I assume that this is a M34. The serial number indicates 1938/1939, but that is only ballpark. What, if any marking are on the slide and other locations?

The mark above the PD is similar but not the same as a Brescia proof mark. The rampart lion is usually smaller and inside a circle. I couldn't find another example on the web.

I would recommend that you ask your questions about your pistol on the site that Rogerbutthead recommended https://p38forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

I am a member of that site and can ask if you wish, but would need more pictures of the pistol.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 11 Jan 2023, 19:41

I will add several questions/issues.

1. The finish appears to be rough, not the polished finish of earlier Berettas. This indicates a later manufacture than 1942 (or need a better photo). This ties into...

2. The serial number. The fourth number actually appears to be a 'C'. Comparing this to the second number, this doesn't appear to be a mis-strike. The ends of of the marks are clean and deep. A serial number with a letter in the middle is completely unknown (but remember I am not a Beretta expert).

3. Does the serial number match the number on the slide and/or barrel? Is the slide marked?

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

JoeyR

Post by JoeyR » 12 Jan 2023, 01:58

jwsleser wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 19:41
I will add several questions/issues.

1. The finish appears to be rough, not the polished finish of earlier Berettas. This indicates a later manufacture than 1942 (or need a better photo). This ties into...

2. The serial number. The fourth number actually appears to be a 'C'. Comparing this to the second number, this doesn't appear to be a mis-strike. The ends of of the marks are clean and deep. A serial number with a letter in the middle is completely unknown (but remember I am not a Beretta expert).

3. Does the serial number match the number on the slide and/or barrel? Is the slide marked?

Pista! Jeff
Hey Jeff thank you for taking the time to respond. My grandfather carried this pistol as far as I know every time he left the house, I know every time he went to Reno or to visit and up to the mountains he had it with him which is probably why the finish looks the way it does. I tried to add another photo but keep get a message that it is to big despite cropping it down which worked for the first pics I provided.

The only other marking besides what I have already provided in photo is numbers on the barrel which show a zero and not a C.

And lastly the slide has no other marking other than P. Beretta- Cal 75- Brevet - GardoneVT.
889A549A-6674-480D-8C60-F31320371B0B.jpeg

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 12 Jan 2023, 17:38

Joey

Thanks for the extra info. Did you correctly type the slide information? Is the cal. 75 or 7.65 (a 7 with a superscript 65)? Is it actually Brevet or is it Brevettata? If it is 7.65 and Brevet, then we can narrow this down.

If you can, you can PM the pictures to me. if that doesn't work, I can PM my email address. We really need to see picture of the pistol itself and the slide markings.

Pista! Jeff

Edit. I think I have pinned this down. It all depends on the answers to my question in this post.

jl
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

JoeyR

Post by JoeyR » 14 Jan 2023, 03:00

jwsleser wrote:
12 Jan 2023, 17:38
Joey

Thanks for the extra info. Did you correctly type the slide information? Is the cal. 75 or 7.65 (a 7 with a superscript 65)? Is it actually Brevet or is it Brevettata? If it is 7.65 and Brevet, then we can narrow this down.

If you can, you can PM the pictures to me. if that doesn't work, I can PM my email address. We really need to see picture of the pistol itself and the slide markings.

Pista! Jeff

Edit. I think I have pinned this down. It all depends on the answers to my question in this post.

jl
Go ahead and pm me your email address as I’m unable to do it through PM either.

jwsleser

Post by jwsleser » 14 Jan 2023, 17:37

Joey

Thank you for the pictures. I had to do some weird work to get them to post.

Your grandfather’s Berretta is a postwar M1935, not a M1934. While the stamp can be hard to read, it is marked 765, so it is chambered in 7.65 (.32 ACP).
BerettaM1935a copy.jpg
There isn’t an accurate list of Beretta serial numbers, the factory not keeping detailed records. From the work done by collectors, the pistol was likely made in 1948–1949.
BerettaM1935b.jpg
The mark above the PD is a Beretta proof. It was only used for a very limited time and not on all models. The shortening of Brevettata to Brevet was also limited to certain models during specific periods. I have only seen pictures of two other Berettas, both M1934s, with this proof.

Pista! Jeff
Jeff Leser

Infantrymen of the Air

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”