Karski and Anthony Eden

Discussions on all aspects of Poland during the Second Polish Republic and the Second World War. Hosted by Piotr Kapuscinski.
Karski

Re: Karski and Anthony Eden

Post by Karski » 27 Jan 2023, 10:34

Thank you very much for the answer, Adampul. Here is the Google translation :
Current documentation also confirms that Jan Karski was - as he called it - in the "distribution camp". Both in report no. 6 of December 1943, in the note entitled "Short Notes of an Eyewitness", as well as in his typewritten study (untitled, but with a handwritten note: "copy corrected by Mr. Kar[ski], original given to him on 28/I/43") he wrote : “The daily contingent of Jews is packed into freight trains and taken to distribution camps […]. I saw one of these distribution camps" (Karski then described the scenes from there, comparing them to scenes from Dante's "Inferno"). It seems, however, that when writing about what happened in the wagons on the route after leaving such a camp, Karski presented the acquired knowledge, not first-hand experience. Similarly in the case of Bełżec, about which he wrote: "Near Bełżec there are such huge gas chambers where Jews are suffocated in groups of several hundred people." He also mentioned burning the bodies and making artificial fertilizer out of them. It is therefore clear that in the latter case he was repeating unverified rumors that existed at the time. Andrzej Żbikowski is also right: after analyzing the sentences about Bełżec from this study, he concluded that Karski knew that he had not been to the Bełżec camp, "which he probably read about in the BIP conspiratorial reports". Later documents indicate that this "transition camp" was in the vicinity of Bełżec, which is why Karski quite freely used the two places interchangeably.In the aforementioned telegram of December 5, 1942, Schwarzbart wrote that the special envoy he met "witnessed the mass murder of a transport of six thousand Jews in Bełżec." In 1943, Karski once wrote that he saw the murder of Jews in the “Bełżec camp.” Another time, in his account of March 1, 1943, he first said that he was “at the end of September in the city of Bełżec, where the Nazis carried out their terrible massacre of Jews”, and then mentioning the deportation: “I saw the first part of this action in Warsaw, and then on the outskirts [“outskirts”] of Bełżec, the second and last part”, and finally specify that “the sorting point (distribution camp) by ł "located about fifty kilometers from the city of Bełżec". At the end of this thread, he said: "I was in a distribution camp near Bełżec in the uniform of a Polish policeman" (the phrase "near Belzec" was used twice in this account). In a radio broadcast in July 1943, he said that he was "in one of these camps disguised as a Latvian policeman" (earlier words indicate that he meant one of the "death camps in Tremblinka [sic], Bełżec and others") 226. In another account published in 1943 ("Jewish Mass Executions. Account by an Eye-Witness"), Karski wrote that he "saw mass executions in the Bełżec camp." Also in 1944, in Secret State, he already described that he was in the Bełżec death camp in the uniform of a Ukrainian policeman228. Apparently, the witness of the murders in the Bełżec camp sounded more credible
So, Karski 1° repeated rumors; 2° lied. Apparently, he is unable to specify the transit ghetto he says he visited. What credibility deserves such a witness?

Karski

Post by Karski » 27 Jan 2023, 14:51

Karski wrote:
27 Jan 2023, 10:34
What credibility deserves such a witness?
Sorry, pleas read : What credibility does such a witness deserve?

Adampul

Post by Adampul » 29 Jan 2023, 16:06

please sent me your e-mailes, I can sent you pdf of my 2018 book

Adampul

Post by Adampul » 16 Mar 2023, 11:36

Karski

Post by Karski » 18 Mar 2023, 11:50

Adampul wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 11:36
look at this article:
https://www.zagladazydow.pl/index.php/z ... QoD1isg3bY
Thanks, Adampul. I tried a Google translation, but it is unreadable. Perhaps you could indicate the important points ?

Karski

Post by Karski » 18 Mar 2023, 14:12

In particular, does it follow from Zygielbojm's papers that Karski told him about his visit to an extermination camp/ghetto when he met him in the early days of December 1942? Reading (between the lines) Karski's 1944 book, one gets the impression that Zygielbojm blamed him for pushing the Jews to demand retaliatory bombings against Germany without being able to give an accurate picture of the Nazi measures against the Jews.

Adampul

Post by Adampul » 24 Aug 2023, 14:05

zapraszam do lektury (w tekście pierwotnym jest link do opracowania raportu przez wiele lat zwanego "raportem Karskiego")
https://historiabezkitu.pl/strefa-nauki ... GDLl48pmHY

Return to “Poland 1919-1945”