Danish 5cm Mortar ?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Kelvin
Member
Posts: 3118
Joined: 06 Apr 2007 14:49

Danish 5cm Mortar ?

Post by Kelvin » 02 Feb 2023 10:42

Hello, everyone, I would like to ask if the Danish Army was equipped with 5cm mortar in WWII ? thank

gebhk
Member
Posts: 2628
Joined: 25 Feb 2013 20:23

Re: Danish 5cm Mortar ?

Post by gebhk » 02 Feb 2023 12:50

I am fairly sure it was not. Instead, rifle-fired grenade dischargers were widely used in this role with 4 rifle grenadiers with M. 1923 grenade launchers in each lmg platoon HQ.

User avatar
Waleed Y. Majeed
Member
Posts: 4146
Joined: 13 Nov 2004 11:37
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Danish 5cm Mortar ?

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 02 Feb 2023 14:23

If the shown pieces are 5 cm mortars then we did have them in 1943. Pictures are from a “parent day” exercise august 22/1943. Parents and relatives were invited to view their sons/brothers/husbands perform in uniform. Still done today. I went on one in the 1990’ies to see my brother and one later in 2018 to see my son.
In the background on some of the pictures a swedish built Landsverk L-180 is visible.
https://milhist.dk/militaeroevelse-naestved/

Waleed

Kelvin
Member
Posts: 3118
Joined: 06 Apr 2007 14:49

Re: Danish 5cm Mortar ?

Post by Kelvin » 02 Feb 2023 14:36

gebhk wrote:
02 Feb 2023 12:50
I am fairly sure it was not. Instead, rifle-fired grenade dischargers were widely used in this role with 4 rifle grenadiers with M. 1923 grenade launchers in each lmg platoon HQ.
Hi, gebhk, thank for your reply, is it Danish M1923 Grenade Launcher caliber was 50mm ? thank

HI, Waleed, did Danish army invent 50mm mortar during German occupation, prior to Operatioh Safari of August 1943 ? thank

gebhk
Member
Posts: 2628
Joined: 25 Feb 2013 20:23

Re: Danish 5cm Mortar ?

Post by gebhk » 02 Feb 2023 16:08

Hi Kelvin
The official name says it all: 51mm Granatboeger M. 1923
https://www.quartermastersection.com/da ... uncher.png

Hi Waleed
Cracking pictures of 81mm mortars in action, but not seeing any 50mm mortars in the photos you linked. Am I missing something?

I expect the Danish Brigade in Sweden would have been equipped with the Swedish 47mm Granatkastare m/40
https://www.quartermastersection.com/sw ... 47mort.png

User avatar
Waleed Y. Majeed
Member
Posts: 4146
Joined: 13 Nov 2004 11:37
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Danish 5cm Mortar ?

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 02 Feb 2023 16:53

Hello to both of you. Yes, I’m sorry for not knowing any better - they are most likely 81 mm mortars model M.1931,
in danish “81 mm fodfolksmorter M.1931” based on the french Stokes/Brandt. A similar design (also Stokes/Brandt) the “8 cm granatkastare m/29-32” was supplied to the brigade in Sweden. So I don’t think any 5 cm types were used or made in Denmark. I will ask for more info if any on a danish site.
These are links to the danish weapon and the ones Sweden supplied.
https://www.chakoten.dk/wp-content/uplo ... -Del-3.pdf
https://chakoten.dk/Den%20Danske%20Brig ... taljon.pdf

Waleed

User avatar
Waleed Y. Majeed
Member
Posts: 4146
Joined: 13 Nov 2004 11:37
Location: Aarhus, Denmark

Re: Danish 5cm Mortar ?

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 02 Feb 2023 17:47

Correction! Not a L-180 but the swedish m/39 Pansarbil.

Waleed

Kelvin
Member
Posts: 3118
Joined: 06 Apr 2007 14:49

Re: Danish 5cm Mortar ?

Post by Kelvin » 03 Feb 2023 10:13

gebhk wrote:
02 Feb 2023 16:08
Hi Kelvin
The official name says it all: 51mm Granatboeger M. 1923
https://www.quartermastersection.com/da ... uncher.png

Hi Waleed
Cracking pictures of 81mm mortars in action, but not seeing any 50mm mortars in the photos you linked. Am I missing something?

I expect the Danish Brigade in Sweden would have been equipped with the Swedish 47mm Granatkastare m/40
https://www.quartermastersection.com/sw ... 47mort.png
Hi,gebhk, thank for your reply.

User avatar
nuyt
Member
Posts: 1669
Joined: 29 Dec 2004 13:39
Location: Europe

Re: Danish 5cm Mortar ?

Post by nuyt » 03 Feb 2023 20:49

Waleed Y. Majeed wrote:
02 Feb 2023 17:47
Correction! Not a L-180 but the swedish m/39 Pansarbil.

Waleed
Aka the Landsverk Lynx

Ardee
Member
Posts: 306
Joined: 17 Sep 2006 04:58
Location: Idaho, USA

Re: Danish 5cm Mortar ?

Post by Ardee » 06 Jun 2023 06:33

If it helps, my info is that the Danes may have had a 51mm mortar, but not until after the war. My info is skimpy, and *Image* it was only marketed by Madsen (in the 1950s), and not accepted by the Danish Army. It was described as a likey pre-war design, and was also capable of direct fire (see top photo).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”