Solomon Islands Campaign.

Discussions on WW2 in the Pacific and the Sino-Japanese War.
Delta Tank

Solomon Islands Campaign.

Post by Delta Tank » 19 Feb 2023, 22:15

To all,

Need some help! My wife got me two books from “The Great Courses”, one entitled “World War II, The Pacific Theater” and the other one is on the European Theater. In the Pacific Theater book the author states on page 95, “. . . the US Navy-Marine Corps team under Halsey advanced in parallel up the Solomon Island ladder toward Rabaul.”

I thought the US Army was also involved, so I have the following divisions from the US Army that were involved in this campaign: Americal (23d ID), 25th ID, 37th ID, 43d ID, 93d ID. Marine Divisions, 1st Marine Division, 2d Marine Division, and 3d Marine Division. Am I correct so far? We’re there any other large units, regiments and above? We’re any Australian or New Zealand units involved?

Thanks for the help.

Mike
PS I don’t recommend either of these two books, they are full of errors, the one on the European Theater is really bad.

Pips

Re: Solomon Islands Campaign.

Post by Pips » 20 Feb 2023, 05:55

There's a reasonable summation of forces involved in the capture and occupation of Bougainville here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bougainville_campaign

As far as I'm aware, it was the only island in the Solomon's chain that Australian troops were deployed. Although I do believe that New Zealand troops use was more widespread.

Kingfish

Post by Kingfish » 20 Feb 2023, 12:27

During the Guadacanal campaign the independent US 147th Infantry Regiment was attached (initially) to the Americal division.
The gods do not deduct from a man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.
~Babylonian Proverb

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 20 Feb 2023, 13:29

Delta Tank wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 22:15
To all,

Need some help! My wife got me two books from “The Great Courses”, one entitled “World War II, The Pacific Theater” and the other one is on the European Theater. In the Pacific Theater book the author states on page 95, “. . . the US Navy-Marine Corps team under Halsey advanced in parallel up the Solomon Island ladder toward Rabaul.”

I thought the US Army was also involved, so I have the following divisions from the US Army that were involved in this campaign: Americal (23d ID), 25th ID, 37th ID, 43d ID, 93d ID. Marine Divisions, 1st Marine Division, 2d Marine Division, and 3d Marine Division. Am I correct so far? We’re there any other large units, regiments and above? We’re any Australian or New Zealand units involved?

Thanks for the help.

Mike
PS I don’t recommend either of these two books, they are full of errors, the one on the European Theater is really bad.
I'm a retired USN CPO. So naturally I think the whole war was won by the Navy. NOT. But it happens. Patience is required in this field.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Delta Tank

Post by Delta Tank » 21 Feb 2023, 15:55

Pips wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 05:55
There's a reasonable summation of forces involved in the capture and occupation of Bougainville here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bougainville_campaign

As far as I'm aware, it was the only island in the Solomon's chain that Australian troops were deployed. Although I do believe that New Zealand troops use was more widespread.
Pips,

After reading the Wikipedia article I can add the following units that participated in the the Solomon Islands Campaign.

3d New Zealand Division (Treasury Islands), 3d Australian Division, 11th and 23d Australian Infantry Brigades, and the Fuji Regiment.

Thanks

Mike

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 22 Feb 2023, 20:14

Delta Tank wrote:
19 Feb 2023, 22:15
To all,

I thought the US Army was also involved,

This I think comes from a lack of understanding of command arraignments. Particualry in the PTO. Operationaly Marines attached to a senior Army HQ or Army units attached to a Marine/Navy command are technically part of a Army, Navy, or Marine command. ie: US 14th Corps on Guadalcanal was acting as part of a combined operation in the SE Pacific under Navy control. The components of the 2d Marine division attached to the 14th Corps were under Army command. If the writer is in ignorance and assuming Army and Navy units are always separate they can miss & fail to include this intermingling or task organization in their historical account.

Return to “WW2 in the Pacific & Asia”