Is Tank Archives biased?

Discussions on the vehicles used by the Axis forces. Hosted by Christian Ankerstjerne
Michael Kenny

Re: Is Tank Archives biased?

Post by Michael Kenny » 16 Mar 2023, 11:36

ThatZenoGuy wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 10:57

Whether people are biased or not matters very much, a lot of people use the internet for research and if said internet is polluted with biased and untrustworthy sources you end up with biased untrustworthy nonsense being spread around.
This is no different from pre-internet book publishing. I reckon over 80% of all WW2 books are worthless as references. I think it a case of read 10 books and write no 11. Its always been that way and some of the good and the great who were publishing when I was young I now see as absolute amateurs who knew very little about what they chronicled.
For sure it has got much worse in the current 'absolute free speech' world where the idiotic 'my opinion is just as valid as yours' wail of the terminally stupid entwines with the social media desire for engagement above everything else. Clicks are everything and 1000 clicks from morons are considered just as valuable as 1000 clicks from sane people. Now days most internet content is aimed at captive audiences who have a particular outlook and the sites conform absolutely to what the customer wants. Fact and accuracy have no place in that world.
Just recently a link was posted here at AHF to an easily proven (to the 1% who check) forged WW2 Tiger crewman Diary which was exposed as a fake 20 years ago. Despite this it has gained 150k views in 11 days and the comments are 99.9% praise for posting such a 'wonderful' German account of WW2.
The internet is sadly(in my opinion) polluted beyond all redemption. The chaff is 90% of content.

Westphalia1812

Post by Westphalia1812 » 16 Mar 2023, 12:14

ThatZenoGuy wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 10:57
Westphalia1812 wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 10:51
I don't know what all this squabble about bias is about. You go there, you look at the sources and if it seems reliable you take it, if not then leave it...
Whether people are biased or not matters very much, a lot of people use the internet for research and if said internet is polluted with biased and untrustworthy sources you end up with biased untrustworthy nonsense being spread around.
Then start your own blog and correct his comments...This discussion here won't change anything
I love myself way more than I love you

And I think about killing myself

So, best believe, I thought about killing you today

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 16 Mar 2023, 13:27

Westphalia1812 wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 12:14
Then start your own blog and correct his comments...This discussion here won't change anything
If this discussion won't change anything, why are you so concerned about it? Start your own forum and rant about people discussing bias there, this discussion won't change anything.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 16 Mar 2023, 18:10

ThatZenoGuy wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 13:27

If this discussion won't change anything, why are you so concerned about it? Start your own forum and rant about people discussing bias there, this discussion won't change anything.
Perhaps he (mistakenly) believed it was a real search for 'facts' rather than a 'just get rid of the facts we don't like to hear' complaint?

Alanmccoubrey

Post by Alanmccoubrey » 17 Mar 2023, 20:46

Yoozername wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 01:57
Alanmccoubrey wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 20:41
What is this doing in this section of the Forum ?
To be clear, 'The Chieftain' is a part of WWII History by his employment. It is MY opinion that his extensive modern experience, while useful in some cases, is not applicable in many cases. And having him, interview a troll like TA-Guy, kind of turns me off. I can just say, they believe in what they think they are saying is 'true', but it is not just my opinion that TA-Guy has an agenda. Opinions are allowed on this forum i believe.
And in your opinion can you tell me what this is doing on a WW2 , factually based area like this ? And there really is no need to be quite so aggressive in your attitude towards one who is only asking a question or is it only you who are allowed an opinion/voice ?
Don't bother to answer because I sure as heck won't be reading anything else you have to say.
Alan

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 18 Mar 2023, 02:12

Alanmccoubrey wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 20:46
And in your opinion can you tell me what this is doing on a WW2 , factually based area like this ? And there really is no need to be quite so aggressive in your attitude towards one who is only asking a question or is it only you who are allowed an opinion/voice ?
Don't bother to answer because I sure as heck won't be reading anything else you have to say.
We're discussing WW2 historians having bias about tanks in the WW2 tanks section, seems pretty reasonable to me. Why do you have a problem with that?

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 18 Mar 2023, 22:53

Westphalia1812 wrote:
I don't know what all this squabble about bias is about. You go there, you look at the sources and if it seems reliable you take it, if not then leave it...
Yes. Exactly. And most of my posts involve primary sources.

And, I am not saying I am right all the time. I have even posted 'Anti-Tiger' posts at times.

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 18 Mar 2023, 22:57

Michael Kenny wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 18:10
ThatZenoGuy wrote:

Perhaps he (mistakenly) believed it was a real search for 'facts' rather than a 'just get rid of the facts we don't like to hear' complaint?
LOL!!!!! Thanks. Too Funny (coming from you). Bless your heart.

Westphalia1812

Post by Westphalia1812 » 19 Mar 2023, 04:27

Yoozername wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 22:53
Westphalia1812 wrote:
Very good. Have you thought about publishing your work?
I love myself way more than I love you

And I think about killing myself

So, best believe, I thought about killing you today

Erik1

Post by Erik1 » 19 Mar 2023, 15:41

Yoozername wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 22:57
Michael Kenny wrote:
16 Mar 2023, 18:10
ThatZenoGuy wrote:

LOL!!!!! Thanks. Too Funny (coming from you). Bless your heart.
Since Westphalia asked if you wanted to publish, does that mean that you search for new/rarely seen sources of information, and not just information in books?

Yoozername

Post by Yoozername » 28 Mar 2023, 07:35

Westphalia1812 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 04:27
Yoozername wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 22:53
Westphalia1812 wrote:
Very good. Have you thought about publishing your work?
I don't consider any of this as work.

Woody Wetter

Post by Woody Wetter » 30 Mar 2023, 19:13

From time to time i read TA because sometimes he have some really good report or piece of information.

Usually the information is more or less correct and can be considered true because it really makes sense and is logical.

But what i dont like about TA is when he take some report and make his own story out of it with all kind of propaganda conclusions. There have been cases(just google) where he makes fake stories to show how good Soviet stuff was. I dont understand why he is doing this? It makes him to loose credibility and at the end people are not interested in random guy fantasy world.

As history enthusiast i love to read all kind of information from all the nations.

For people who are interested in Soviet military. I can only recommend to learn russian language - all the good stuff is in russian. Only handful of books are translated.

So overall : Tank archives can offer some great information but too much author nonsense talk are added to most of stories. Read it with pack of salt.

High wind and rainstorm

Post by High wind and rainstorm » 02 Apr 2023, 04:58

The tank file, to be honest, does have a huge amount of resources, but it also provides a breeding ground for many rumors: the D25T has good accuracy, which is comparable to the 88L71 (the subtext is: not to mention other German guns)[url][/https://www.google.com/search?q=Accurac ... e=UTF-8url]

Thoddy

Post by Thoddy » 02 Apr 2023, 11:11

If you use the same methodology for measuring dispersion the D25 should be somwhat worser.
"Meine Herren, es kann ein siebenjähriger, es kann ein dreißigjähriger Krieg werden – und wehe dem, der zuerst die Lunte in das Pulverfaß schleudert!"

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 03 Apr 2023, 10:46

High wind and rainstorm wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 04:58
The tank file, to be honest, does have a huge amount of resources, but it also provides a breeding ground for many rumors: the D25T has good accuracy, which is comparable to the 88L71 (the subtext is: not to mention other German guns)[url][/https://www.google.com/search?q=Accurac ... e=UTF-8url]
The issue is the testing was done by the Russians, who are about as trustworthy in WW2 as the Japanese opinion on the Chinese.

It's missing factors we need to know, was this an exceptional hand-picked 122mm? Or a more-likely shoddier constructed one?

Was the optics used to aim the gun exceptional as well, or again, a shoddier more-likely model?

I am finding it doubtful a nation known for having gaps in welds large enough to stick your hand in them, produced a cannon with accuracy equal to one of the most famously 'snipe-esque' cannons of the war.

Return to “The Ron Klages Panzer & other vehicles Section”