news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Discussions on other historical eras.
Cult Icon

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Cult Icon » 18 Mar 2023, 19:05

"The United States has confirmed that rounds of Chinese ammunition have been used in battlefields in Ukraine and suspects they were fired by Russian forces, government sources said Friday."

"Amid a myriad of disagreements between the United States and China, officials have recently said Washington possesses intelligence indicating that Beijing is considering sending arms and ammunition to Russia.

"It's something that we are vigilant about and continuing to watch carefully," a U.S. State Department official told Kyodo News.

The United States has notified some of its partners about the confirmation, according to the sources."

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2023 ... urces.html

This comes ahead of the Xi & Putin 3 day meeting in Moscow.

I would not be surprised if John Kirby does a dog & pony show about this while the communists are talking.

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 18 Mar 2023, 19:08

Sid Guttridge wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 10:34
Putin is reportedly going to honour the Russian pilot who brought down the US drone!

So, poor old Russia is reduced to honouring pilots who bring down an unmanned, unarmed, neutral aircraft over international waters?

No wonder the Russians won't fly over Ukraine when they can become an "ace" without risk!

Cheers,

Sid.
This is 2023, not 1940 : the epoch of aces is over .
And while the US drone was unmanned and unarmed, it was not neutral,as its aim was to spy for Ukraine .

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 18 Mar 2023, 19:16

Russia's goal is not primarily territorial since July 2022. The idea that it is primarily territorial since July 2022 suits the purposes of Ukrainian/US/UK/NATO delusional propaganda but is not what is militarily going on.

Their primary goal is to inflict catastrophic attrition on Ukrainian forces, in particular manpower and rob them completely of initiative while maintaining an economy-of force presence. Wagner PMC has played the leading role in this effort with positional warfare by turning the Bakhmut-Soledar-Siversk fronts into a Ukrainian death pit, where on bad days the Ukrainians lose up to an entire infantry battalion (matched by both Western media in Ukrainian hospitals and Wagner claims).

The bulk of Russian ground forces are NOT on the front line, but in the rear area of Ukraine and in Russia.

The use of PMCs to do the bulk of the attacking in Ukraine is a strategic/political move by the Russian command to buy time to reorganize their units into divisions in order to perform decisive strategic actions in Ukraine and defend Russia against NATO.

So far they have bought Russia more than 7 months.

wm

Post by wm » 18 Mar 2023, 19:18

ljadw wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 19:08
And while the US drone was unmanned and unarmed, it was not neutral,as its aim was to spy for Ukraine .

From international waters (or from space), a neutral country can spy as much as it can, and then some.
And then hand over the information even to the devil himself.
Nothing in international law, in the Talmud, or in the Koran forbids it.

Gooner1

Post by Gooner1 » 18 Mar 2023, 19:56

Aida1 wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 08:57
You are living in a pro putin bubble. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The eternal derangement of the extreme left mind.

Gooner1

Post by Gooner1 » 18 Mar 2023, 20:11

Cult Icon wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 16:14
A miracle with strategic level impact needs to happens in the 'spring offensive'. It is time for diplomacy.
Hmmmmm... the Russians would say that, I think Ukraine and its supporters will be content to wait the impact of the 300 Western tanks and IFVs and the Western trained battalions first.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 18 Mar 2023, 21:08

Gooner1 wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 20:11
I think Ukraine and its supporters will be content to wait the impact of the 300 Western tanks and IFVs and the Western trained battalions first.
If Ukraine can hold out for a few more months no doubt the Me 262, V2, Maus & XXI boats can win the war for them.................

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 18 Mar 2023, 21:42

Sid Guttridge wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 18:34
Hi Yuri,

Your methodology is like estimating a car's tyre wear assuming it drives 24 hours a day for 365 days every year, which is ridiculous.

If all tanks were on the most highly active battlefronts every day for a year, you might have a point, but of course they are not, are they?

Most tanks spend most of the time out of the line.

I suspect being knocked out or, failing that, barrel wear are much more of a risk than a shell shortage.

Cheers,

Sid.
Hi, dear Sid!
To my great regret, Your argument about ridiculous of my calculations cannot be accepted. And here's why.
1. In Your calculation, the maximum possible number of hours of car operation per year is taken: 24/365.
However, we know that Ukrainian gunners produce more than 100 shots a day from 155 mm self-propelled howitzer PzH2000, which, by the way, has become one of the numerous reasons for the breakdowns of these fabulously expensive tracked tarantas.
In my calculations, as You, dear Sid, can see, a tank gun produces on average only 30 shots per day, that is, no more than 30% of the maximum possible. It's like if in Your example the car was working not 24 hours a day, but only 7 hours and 12 minutes, very realistic.
This is the first.

Secondly.
My calculations indicate, that in a tank battalion with a full-time strength of 40 tanks, only 30 tanks participate in combat operations on average. That is, 75% of the maximum is involved per day. This is also like if Your car not worked 7 days a week, but only 6. Which is also very realistic.
Summing up the above, we come to a disappointing conclusion for You, namely.
It's not my calculations that "is ridiculous", but Your, dear Sid, counterargumen with one car is incorrect.
It is not difficult to calculate that in my calculations from the maximum the number of hours per year is 24 * 365, one tank participates in combat operations only 22,5% of this time, and 77.5% of the total time is spent for other purposes.
Last edited by Yuri on 18 Mar 2023, 22:00, edited 2 times in total.

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 18 Mar 2023, 21:45

wm wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 19:18
ljadw wrote:

From international waters (or from space), a neutral country can spy as much as it can, and then some.
There is a war on between Russia and Ukraine and the US support Ukraine . Thus the US is not neutral .

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 18 Mar 2023, 21:50

Gooner1 wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 20:11
Cult Icon wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 16:14
A miracle with strategic level impact needs to happens in the 'spring offensive'. It is time for diplomacy.
Hmmmmm... the Russians would say that, I think Ukraine and its supporters will be content to wait the impact of the 300 Western tanks and IFVs and the Western trained battalions first.
The impact of 300 western tanks and IFVs on a front of 1000 km will be lower than was the impact last year of 2000 Russian tanks and IFV on a much smaller front and this impact was very low .Thus ...
There are people here who think that we still are in May 1940 .

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 18 Mar 2023, 22:30

wm wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 19:18
ljadw wrote:

This is if the air and sea spaces are not declared a closed zone in advance for conducting a military operation.
For example, in 1982, the United Kingdom declared a closed zone within a radius of 200 nautical miles around the Falkland Islands (Malvinas) for such purposes.
At the same time, the Argentine cruiser was torpedoed by the British outside this zone.
The Russian Federation has declared, through the UN, the air and sea space closer than 100 km from the coast of Crimea a closed zone of military operation.
Anyone who pokes into this zone without the permission of the military authorities of the Russian Federation risks being destroyed.

Gooner1

Post by Gooner1 » 19 Mar 2023, 00:04

Michael Kenny wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 21:08

If Ukraine can hold out for a few more months no doubt the Me 262, V2, Maus & XXI boats can win the war for them.................
BINGO! Treat yourself to a double!

Globalization41

Post by Globalization41 » 19 Mar 2023, 01:41

To me, Ukraine is like South Vietnam.  Neither deserved to be invaded.  The U.S. practically gave the South Viets a blank check.  The more men the U.S. sent, the harder the Viet Cong fought.  If the U.S. did the same in the Ukraine, the Russians would gain the fighting spirit necessary to conduct operations.  It would be a gift to our enemy Putin.  ... The Russians are not born evil, but they're trained at birth.  This culture prevailed during the Czarist era and not only in Russia.  Bolshevism poured gasoline on the fire.  If it were up to me, I'd try to send ammo and small arms to the Ukrainians through a back door.  The best thing for Ukraine is for their people to defend their own country.  ... The South Vietnamese were at a disadvantage because the Communist invasion of Southeast Asia was fully supported logistically by both China and Russia.  However, Thailand defended its neutrality by allowing gigantic U.S. air bases to operate in support of the South Vietnamese.  Thus, the Thais avoided falling to the Communists. (The U.S. could afford gigantic military bases because its (tax) revenue-generating factories had not yet been redistributed away from America, although the policy did solve inflation.)  ... Finland is/was the most honest country in the world, even in 1939.  Yet the Finns allied with the Nazis due to the bullying Russians.  ... North Korea is a puppet state of China.  North Korea acts as a buffer.  Its noise diverts attention from the real danger of hot-headed nationalists in China.  ... Xi will visit Russia next week.  I hope someone tells him to be careful what eats or drinks in Moscow.  I've heard there've been a lot of poisonings near there.  ... All Putin has to do now is declare a ceasefire.  The Russians are already occupying the strategic land bridge to the Crimea.  If the Ukrainians continued the war, then Putin could say Ukraine is the aggressor, thus increasing the fighting spirit of Russian forces.  I'm sure Xi will mention this to Putin next week in Moscow.

Globalization41.

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 19 Mar 2023, 01:44

US M113 APC getting refueled in Chasiv Yar

Maxim Machinegun, Ukr 28th Mechanized brigade

Tom Peters

Post by Tom Peters » 19 Mar 2023, 02:00

Yuri wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 08:44

These are the pies with cutlets we have with you.
While I take your point in general, I just dont know how to translate this last bit.

Mad Dog

Return to “Other eras”