Discussions on other historical eras.
Aida1

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Aida1 » 26 Mar 2023, 15:24

Michael Kenny wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 20:47
Gooner1 wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 20:38

The importance of the USA to the World has of course risen as a result of Putin's disastrous war.
No. The stranglehold the USA has on Europe has increased. The rest of the world has seen how the US uses the banks to steal assets and they are taking active steps to lessen their exposure to such theft by creating their own banking system. The Saudis agreeing to non-dollar payments for its oil is a very important first step. BRICs is just the start.
The typical extreme leftist prejudices. :lol: :lol:

Gooner1

Post by Gooner1 » 26 Mar 2023, 15:26

ljadw wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 15:08
In 2016 Slovenia was selling its M-55Ss on Ebay to everyone who was interested, at a low price . But no one wanted them .Last year they wanted to give a part of them away to Ukraine, at the condition (!) that Germany would give them trucks build by Rheinmetall .They preferred trucks to M-55Ss !
Has Slovenia been invaded by Russia now as well? :lol:

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 26 Mar 2023, 15:28

Michael Kenny wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 17:12
Gooner1 wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 16:53
Some 'bromance'
Agence France-Presse............yadda yadda yadda...
The majority of the western press are publishing articles that desperately seek to drive a wedge between Russia & China and to disparage the diplomatic coup of bringing The Saudis and Iranians to the table. Even Syria is on the agenda. That is one of the reason's The US lashed out with its latest round of air attacks. Currently The US is on the side-lines and China is centre stage. The world is changing and 'The West' no longer dictates terms.
If anyone wants to know what the war looks like outside the western bubble there are dozens of eastern/Asian news clips on YouTube and if you watch them you will immediately notice they are the exact opposite of the tone of western reports.
The western media has morphed into Faux News with its blatantly one-sided reporting on the war.
Free western media are far more credible than the russian propaganda.

Aida1

Post by Aida1 » 26 Mar 2023, 15:30

Michael Kenny wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 06:28
Tom Peters wrote:
25 Mar 2023, 01:34

I might also add the US took far more pains to control civ casualties than the RU ideal of flattening everything with artillery.
Sure they did.

Screenshot_130v.jpg

Perhaps by using high-tech precision-guided white phosphorus shells ?

You must be the type of person for whom the term 'collateral damage' was invented. A euphemism used by apologist to excuse the inexcusable.
The US and its allies always aply strict rules of engagement. Your warcriminal friends like Assad and Putin always indiscriminately attack civilians .

peeved

Post by peeved » 26 Mar 2023, 15:39

ljadw wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 15:08
In 2016 Slovenia was selling its M-55Ss on Ebay to everyone who was interested, at a low price . But no one wanted them .
Sounds uncharacteristic for eBay. Do you have an eBay auction description, news article or similar evidence from 2016?

Markus

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 26 Mar 2023, 16:00

bakhmut

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 26 Mar 2023, 16:50

Aida1 wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 15:30

The US and its allies always aply strict rules of engagement.
Indeed they do.
Anyone killed by them = 'insurgent'
As no one other than insurgents are ever killed then it is obvious they never kill civilians.
It is amazing how many 'insurgents' used to turn up at Afghan weddings and made themselves easy targets.

Gooner1

Post by Gooner1 » 26 Mar 2023, 16:51

Another account of how Russia is fighting this war.

Scarcely credible in the 21st Century from a country that once had pretensions of being civilised
"1/ Another account has been published of Russia's disastrous attempt to seize Vuhledar last month using poorly trained and equipped mobilised soldiers. One man says only three out of his unit of 300 survived, having been sent to fight with "bare hands". ⬇️

2/ Men mobilised from the Irkutsk, Altai and Omsk regions and their families say that after the professional soldiers of the 155th Separate Marine Brigade suffered heavy losses in fighting near Vuhledar, hundreds of barely trained mobilised soldiers were sent in.

3/ The Omsk men were given minimal training before going to Ukraine. They "fired off a magazine of cartridges and stood on the parade ground, marching and stamping their feet." That was all they did in three months of service before being sent to the occupied Zaporizhzhia region.

4/ When they arrived, they spent a week in a trench before being sent to fight at Vuhledar. Their commanders' selection was arbitrary: "They pointed a finger: those who were absent at that moment, drunk or sleeping, remained there, and those who caught their eye moved forward."

5/ The fighting took place in an area known as the "Vuhledar dachas" – two groups of holiday cottages south of Vuhledar itself. The Russians lost hundreds of men and dozens of armoured vehicles in the battle.

6/ The battle was chaotic, with the men advancing against heavily fortified and well-defended Ukrainian positions without adequate artillery support or reinforcements. The men were armed only with automatic rifles.

7/ The brother of one of the men says: "In these dachas, the positions of the Armed Forces of Ukraine are also very well fortified – [our men] are thrown into the assault, my brother's group of 10-12 men could hardly hold out there for a week.

8/ "After one day of battle, among those unprepared soldiers he was the only one left. There were no reinforcements, the artillery was working in an incomprehensible way, and at times it was unclear whose it was – because it was firing at its own people."

9/ The soldier, Andrey, found himself "sitting in a cellar somewhere, firing back at the Ukrainian armed forces who were entrenched in well-fortified positions. And in that situation there was no order to go on the defensive! The order came to assault.

10/ "And what kind of an assault is possible if we are dying one by one even in defence?! The sniper is working, but there are no fewer Ukrainians. Where can we assault?"

11/ Adding to their problems, the men were not trained to work as a group and were unable to provide effective covering fire. Many were killed in the battle. Andrey called his brother Ivan at the end of February to tell him what had happened.

12/ "I heard his voice trembling: "Brother, I don't know how I survived. But I was the only one left in my group". He sobbed for about 10 minutes, telling how his comrades-in-arms, 20-year-old guys, were dying right in front of his eyes.

13/ "They were terrified of this war and just fell into a stupor and became easy targets. He saw them die and could do nothing to help.

14/ "By some miracle he survived the meat grinder, they even told him that he had been nominated for an award and all he could think about was how to get out of there: 'Why do I have to die in someone else's land?'"

15/ Andrey was bitter because "the commanders openly considered them as meat" and forced the men at gunpoint to go into suicidal assaults. His unit was likely under the command of 'Donetsk People's Republic' (DNR) forces, who have gained a reputation for brutality.
16/ "They were covered by [the guns of] local contractors and when you start asking questions or are indignant, they stick a gun to your head and rush you into the assault."

Worse was to come. The men were withdrawn from Vuhledar and sent to attack nearby Avdiivka on 3 March.

17/ Andrey called his family again 10 days later. He was now one of only three survivors from his entire brigade. "The brigade is gone, it's just gone. There are three guys left alive (after reinforcement in Makiivka), one of them is a 300 [wounded].

18/ "Guys are thrown into the front line in an assault with one automatic rifle, there is no cover, no first aid, many die from not being assisted in time. [The DNR] do not take the wounded from the battlefield, and if they do, they only take the slightly wounded.

19/ "They are afraid of losing their equipment and of "lying on shells". We are forced to go into an assault at gunpoint. If you refuse, you are put in a cage and fed only once a day, the same with water. If you have to pee you have to go into a bag.

20/ "There is lawlessness and mayhem on the part of the commanders. And the commanders say openly: 'You are only meat for us and nothing else. You can forget the promised rewards and payments. You simply do not exist.'"

21/ Andrey described how he and his comrades were dumped by DNR forces on "landing strips", from where his unit had to walk across open countryside, with no cover, to attack fortified Ukrainian positions. Not surprisingly, they didn't make it.

22/ "Everything there [in Avdiivka] is dug up, everything is poured into concrete, it is simply impossible to survive there. They throw [the men] out in an open field, and [send them] forward." Worse still, their own artillery was so inaccurate that it hit them repeatedly.

23/ In a subsequent call, Andrey said that he was trying to preserve his life by taking a new position two kilometers away, presumably on a quieter section of the front line. "[I'm] taking a risk, because those who return or leave their positions are shot in the back.

24/ "But I have to say: this is a complete ass and I’m going to refuse. That's it, fuck it, our guys are gone. Those whom I was with from Omsk – 300 people, they are just gone."

25/ He acknowledged that he was likely to face consequences for leaving his position – either being thrown into a fresh assault or being executed. It's not clear what has happened to Andrey since then.

26/ The Omsk men were not the only ones to be annihilated at Avdiivka. As has previously been documented, so too was the 1439th Regiment from Irkutsk. Relatives of some of the few survivors have described what happened.

27/ Like the Omsk men, the Irkutsk men were dumped from APCs in the middle of open countryside. One wife says: "On 1 March, early in the morning their battalion of 25 men were brought in by the DNR troops on two APCs and literally kicked out in an open field. And they drove away!

28/ "They were unsupported, wearing such thin armour you could pierce them with a stick. Before they even had time to look around, [the Ukrainians] started shooting at them. According to my husband, it was "some bird" [a drone] that caused the most injuries."

29/ Her husband was badly wounded in the Ukrainian bombardment. "He was lucky that his comrade-in-arms carried him, they usually do not do that. Usually they leave people behind, both wounded and killed, and put them all on the list of the missing.

30/ "He said they ran and then walked across a field strewn with corpses. Just walking over bodies that were still warm. It was a nightmare, he said and cried."

Only two members of the battalion survived, albeit with wounds.

31/ Despite the husband's injuries, his commanders still wanted him to continue fighting. "He phoned me and said that he still has shrapnel in his leg and tomorrow he will be discharged and will have to go back to the assault." /end

Source:

"В ужасе от этой войны просто впадали в ступор". Мобилизованные из Сибири отказываются воевать
В редакцию Сибирь.Реалии обратился Иван, друг мобилизованного из Сибири. По его словам, после штурма Авдеевки (город в Покровском районе Донецкой области) от целого батальона в 300 человек осталось дв…
https://www.sibreal.org/a/mobilizovanny ... 21682.html"

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1639 ... 46337.html

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 26 Mar 2023, 17:22

Gooner1 wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 16:51

"1/ Another account has been published of Russia's disastrous attempt to seize Vuhledar last month using poorly trained and equipped mobilised soldiers. One man says only three out of his unit of 300 survived, having been sent to fight with "bare hands".

What's that you say Skippy?
You mean they are now even running out of shovels?
It must be true, we have a photo

Billy Liar Ambrosia .jpg

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 26 Mar 2023, 17:26

Drone gallery of High rises of Vuledar/Ugledar. The high rises still stand and haven't been demolished to the ground floors yet. Russian forces are stuck in the flattened dachas area. They would have to take this place block by block, not easy.

https://vk.com/milinfolive?w=wall-123538639_3533006

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 26 Mar 2023, 18:05

Gooner1 wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 15:24
ljadw wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 10:40
The sending of these 3 tanks is a totally insignificant detail, the fact that Reuters is wasting its time to spread this news,proves that Reuters is giving it deliberately an importance it does not have and that it is only propaganda .
Oh so you change your tune, no longer jubilant or triumphant just that by publishing this fact Reuters are deliberately giving it importance.

Reuters publishes 2.3 million articles a year! :lol:

BTW
1. You only have to look at the disastrous performance of Russian armour at Vuhledar to see how important mine clearing tanks are.
2. Finland has this week decided to send another 3 Leopard 2R mine clearing tanks to Ukraine - not reported by Reuters AFAIK
To give something an importance which it does not have is triumphant propaganda : ''Finland will send 3 L2 tanks suitable for mine clearing to Ukraine .''is jubilant propaganda .Why else was Reuters titling this ?
We are not talking about mine clearing tanks ( who following the Finnish president are not battle tanks ) but about THREE mine clearing tanks ,and where is your proof for the claim that the Russian armour was performing badly because the Russians did not have mine clearing tanks ?
The explanation why Reuters did not report the decision to send another 3 mine clearing tanks is very obvious :because Reuters did not know it .

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 26 Mar 2023, 18:12

Cult Icon wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 15:17
Ukrainian forces massed in front of Bakhmut with open sources identified. Ukrainian general staff has gone radio silent.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 71412&z=11
Ukraine has around 56 infantry battalions on the front line against the Wagner salient outside of Bakhmut in just the northern salient alone with 5 infantry battalions in reserve.

14 infantry battalions holding the southern front against Wagner, outside of the city.

30 infantry battalions in Bakhmut itself.

So Ukraine has brought approx. 105 infantry battalions or maximum 52,500 infantrymen against Wagner!

Approx. 35 brigades/equivalents vs the 25+ brigades before.

3/24

Last edited by Cult Icon on 26 Mar 2023, 21:15, edited 3 times in total.

ljadw

Post by ljadw » 26 Mar 2023, 18:21

Gooner1 wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 16:51
Another account of how Russia is fighting this war.

Scarcely credible in the 21st Century from a country that once had pretensions of being civilised
"1/ Another account has been published of Russia's disastrous attempt to seize Vuhledar last month using poorly trained and equipped mobilised soldiers. One man says only three out of his unit of 300 survived, having been sent to fight with "bare hands". ⬇️

2/ Men mobilised from the Irkutsk, Altai and Omsk regions and their families say that after the professional soldiers of the 155th Separate Marine Brigade suffered heavy losses in fighting near Vuhledar, hundreds of barely trained mobilised soldiers were sent in.

3/ The Omsk men were given minimal training before going to Ukraine. They "fired off a magazine of cartridges and stood on the parade ground, marching and stamping their feet." That was all they did in three months of service before being sent to the occupied Zaporizhzhia region.

4/ When they arrived, they spent a week in a trench before being sent to fight at Vuhledar. Their commanders' selection was arbitrary: "They pointed a finger: those who were absent at that moment, drunk or sleeping, remained there, and those who caught their eye moved forward."

5/ The fighting took place in an area known as the "Vuhledar dachas" – two groups of holiday cottages south of Vuhledar itself. The Russians lost hundreds of men and dozens of armoured vehicles in the battle.

6/ The battle was chaotic, with the men advancing against heavily fortified and well-defended Ukrainian positions without adequate artillery support or reinforcements. The men were armed only with automatic rifles.

7/ The brother of one of the men says: "In these dachas, the positions of the Armed Forces of Ukraine are also very well fortified – [our men] are thrown into the assault, my brother's group of 10-12 men could hardly hold out there for a week.

8/ "After one day of battle, among those unprepared soldiers he was the only one left. There were no reinforcements, the artillery was working in an incomprehensible way, and at times it was unclear whose it was – because it was firing at its own people."

9/ The soldier, Andrey, found himself "sitting in a cellar somewhere, firing back at the Ukrainian armed forces who were entrenched in well-fortified positions. And in that situation there was no order to go on the defensive! The order came to assault.

10/ "And what kind of an assault is possible if we are dying one by one even in defence?! The sniper is working, but there are no fewer Ukrainians. Where can we assault?"

11/ Adding to their problems, the men were not trained to work as a group and were unable to provide effective covering fire. Many were killed in the battle. Andrey called his brother Ivan at the end of February to tell him what had happened.

12/ "I heard his voice trembling: "Brother, I don't know how I survived. But I was the only one left in my group". He sobbed for about 10 minutes, telling how his comrades-in-arms, 20-year-old guys, were dying right in front of his eyes.

13/ "They were terrified of this war and just fell into a stupor and became easy targets. He saw them die and could do nothing to help.

14/ "By some miracle he survived the meat grinder, they even told him that he had been nominated for an award and all he could think about was how to get out of there: 'Why do I have to die in someone else's land?'"

15/ Andrey was bitter because "the commanders openly considered them as meat" and forced the men at gunpoint to go into suicidal assaults. His unit was likely under the command of 'Donetsk People's Republic' (DNR) forces, who have gained a reputation for brutality.
16/ "They were covered by [the guns of] local contractors and when you start asking questions or are indignant, they stick a gun to your head and rush you into the assault."

Worse was to come. The men were withdrawn from Vuhledar and sent to attack nearby Avdiivka on 3 March.

17/ Andrey called his family again 10 days later. He was now one of only three survivors from his entire brigade. "The brigade is gone, it's just gone. There are three guys left alive (after reinforcement in Makiivka), one of them is a 300 [wounded].

18/ "Guys are thrown into the front line in an assault with one automatic rifle, there is no cover, no first aid, many die from not being assisted in time. [The DNR] do not take the wounded from the battlefield, and if they do, they only take the slightly wounded.

19/ "They are afraid of losing their equipment and of "lying on shells". We are forced to go into an assault at gunpoint. If you refuse, you are put in a cage and fed only once a day, the same with water. If you have to pee you have to go into a bag.

20/ "There is lawlessness and mayhem on the part of the commanders. And the commanders say openly: 'You are only meat for us and nothing else. You can forget the promised rewards and payments. You simply do not exist.'"

21/ Andrey described how he and his comrades were dumped by DNR forces on "landing strips", from where his unit had to walk across open countryside, with no cover, to attack fortified Ukrainian positions. Not surprisingly, they didn't make it.

22/ "Everything there [in Avdiivka] is dug up, everything is poured into concrete, it is simply impossible to survive there. They throw [the men] out in an open field, and [send them] forward." Worse still, their own artillery was so inaccurate that it hit them repeatedly.

23/ In a subsequent call, Andrey said that he was trying to preserve his life by taking a new position two kilometers away, presumably on a quieter section of the front line. "[I'm] taking a risk, because those who return or leave their positions are shot in the back.

24/ "But I have to say: this is a complete ass and I’m going to refuse. That's it, fuck it, our guys are gone. Those whom I was with from Omsk – 300 people, they are just gone."

25/ He acknowledged that he was likely to face consequences for leaving his position – either being thrown into a fresh assault or being executed. It's not clear what has happened to Andrey since then.

26/ The Omsk men were not the only ones to be annihilated at Avdiivka. As has previously been documented, so too was the 1439th Regiment from Irkutsk. Relatives of some of the few survivors have described what happened.

27/ Like the Omsk men, the Irkutsk men were dumped from APCs in the middle of open countryside. One wife says: "On 1 March, early in the morning their battalion of 25 men were brought in by the DNR troops on two APCs and literally kicked out in an open field. And they drove away!

28/ "They were unsupported, wearing such thin armour you could pierce them with a stick. Before they even had time to look around, [the Ukrainians] started shooting at them. According to my husband, it was "some bird" [a drone] that caused the most injuries."

29/ Her husband was badly wounded in the Ukrainian bombardment. "He was lucky that his comrade-in-arms carried him, they usually do not do that. Usually they leave people behind, both wounded and killed, and put them all on the list of the missing.

30/ "He said they ran and then walked across a field strewn with corpses. Just walking over bodies that were still warm. It was a nightmare, he said and cried."

Only two members of the battalion survived, albeit with wounds.

31/ Despite the husband's injuries, his commanders still wanted him to continue fighting. "He phoned me and said that he still has shrapnel in his leg and tomorrow he will be discharged and will have to go back to the assault." /end

Source:

"В ужасе от этой войны просто впадали в ступор". Мобилизованные из Сибири отказываются воевать
В редакцию Сибирь.Реалии обратился Иван, друг мобилизованного из Сибири. По его словам, после штурма Авдеевки (город в Покровском районе Донецкой области) от целого батальона в 300 человек осталось дв…
https://www.sibreal.org/a/mobilizovanny ... 21682.html"

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1639 ... 46337.html
Siberia.realii is a part of the Russian broadcast of RFE/RL ,in other words :of the CIA .
Thus ,the fact that you are naive enough to believe what the CIA is saying,does not mean that other people are also that naive , and, who is the unknown author from threadreaderapp. ?
It seems that the Northcliffe Press is coming back .When the stories that the Russians are eating little children ?

Gooner1

Post by Gooner1 » 26 Mar 2023, 18:45

Michael Kenny wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 17:22

What's that you say Skippy?
You mean they are now even running out of shovels?
It must be true, we have a photo

Billy Liar Ambrosia .jpg
Gosh, what a (predictably) pathetic response. Too upsetting for you to accept is it, the backwardness, savagery and contempt for human life, their own, of the Russian armed forces?

We know it is for another weak-minded fool Putin supporter on this thread!

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 26 Mar 2023, 22:45

Return to “Other eras”