Russian Glider Regiments

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Andy H
Forum Staff

Russian Glider Regiments

Post by Andy H » 09 Sep 2003, 21:24

I believe the Russians formed at least 3 Glider Regiments during WW2, which after the Ukrainian campaign became Guards units, does anyone have any further info on these units?

Andy H

daveh

Post by daveh » 09 Sep 2003, 21:54

I have on a list of references to airborne forces the following:

The History of the World's Glider Forces by Alan Wood

The Soviet Airborne Experience by Glantz, David M.

I have not read either, but the former certainly is noted as dealing with Soviet glider forces.

Empiricist

Re: Russian Glider Regiments

Post by Empiricist » 27 Feb 2023, 23:46

Hi there,

nothing indicates that the Soviets organized and trained three glider infantry regiments. Of course, they had cargo glider regiments but not within the meaning of WWII Western standards. Their glider regiments were composed of the cargo glider pilots, but not glider infantry as in the UK or USA.

We have to remember that the main, fundamental and almost the only one task of the Soviet cargo glider units were logistics operations in aid of the partisans on occupied territories behind enemy lines as well as to deliver unfrozen cooling liquid for the frontline tank units. It was Soviet "glider doctrine" how to use cargo gliders. The Soviets started to operate cargo gliders in 1942 and continued in 1943. In that time all glider missions were logistics ones for partisans mainly in Belarus. Up to the end of 1943 Soviet cargo gliders served in logistics missions only.

For the first time Soviet cargo gliders operated in "Western style" early 1944 in Ukraine during Dnieper crossing when they landed with small groups of the regular army soldiers armed with mortars, anti-tank guns and ammunition. It was the first and last such an operation which could be compared to "miniature" action like the US GFABs (Glider Field Artillery Battalions).

jbroshot

Re:

Post by jbroshot » 01 Mar 2023, 05:11

daveh wrote:
09 Sep 2003, 21:54
I have on a list of references to airborne forces the following:

The History of the World's Glider Forces by Alan Wood

The Soviet Airborne Experience by Glantz, David M.

I have not read either, but the former certainly is noted as dealing with Soviet glider forces.
The Soviet Airborne Experience can be downloaded from the Combined Arms Research Library site

https://cgsc.contentdm.oclc.org/digital ... /123/rec/2

Empiricist

Re: Russian Glider Regiments

Post by Empiricist » 01 Mar 2023, 14:25

Because this topic is glider-related so from glider subject point of view Lt.Col. Glantz's Research Survey is interesting but describes more theoretical things than practical ones. The USSR during WWII destructed all their pre-war theories, ideas and plans how to use military gliders. They brought their cargo gliders to the role of flying trucks with supplies only.

In his bibliography David M. Glantz did not use Col. Genrih B. Gofman's post-war journalism. He was Soviet WWII pilot of the 622nd Attack Regiment. He liked Soviet military gliding and after WWII he was a popularizer of knowledge about it.

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”