Schindlers List

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Caldric

Schindlers List

Post by Caldric » 22 Sep 2003 17:33

I was sick all weekend so I got a bunch of older movies out to watch, I found this one and watched it again, maybe the 5th time now. I do not like to say I enjoyed the movie but it is interesting, I was wondering what everyone else thought of it? I think the black and white filming is excellent for the content and was a good idea by the director Spielberg.

I also read the book many years ago but found it lacking, the acting in the movie is excellent and Commandant Goeth was exactly what I would think of when trying to picture a person who has such a job. Total disregard for the human side of things, dislocated from his actions much like a doctor must maintain distance. That and constantly drunk.

Here is an interesting web site for information on the Camp.

http://www.scrapbookpages.com/Poland/Pl ... zow03.html

Kaan Caglar

Re: Schindlers List

Post by Kaan Caglar » 22 Sep 2003 20:52

Caldric wrote: I think the black and white filming is excellent for the content and was a good idea by the director Spielberg.
I agree... What do you think about girl with the red overcoat??? I often cried in those scenes... :(
Kaan

jpatterson

Post by jpatterson » 22 Sep 2003 22:37

I was going to say something about the little girl in the red coat also. Just a brilliant piece of film work from that master of cinema Spielberg. My wife, daughter and I were all crying when we caught site of her in the wagon.

Later

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 22 Sep 2003 22:52

Yes was a heartbreaking scene in the movie. The worse part is there were thousands and thousands of little girls who were put to death. I think he wanted to leave that image in everyones mind forever and it should be.

Station

Post by Station » 23 Sep 2003 00:07

Stunning and amazing story. Well done movie version. I plan to get this on DVD sometime.

dasboot

Post by dasboot » 23 Sep 2003 04:16

Good luck getting the DVD version.

Still not out. Go to amazon.com and vote for its release on this format.

qdave

Post by qdave » 23 Sep 2003 04:48

why they are so slow wih this damn dvd.

i actualy saw the movie 3 weeks or so ago for the first time and was amazed!!!! it is total soul mover.
Last edited by qdave on 24 Sep 2003 05:25, edited 1 time in total.

Station

Post by Station » 23 Sep 2003 06:57

dasboot wrote:Good luck getting the DVD version.

Still not out. Go to amazon.com and vote for its release on this format.
How can they put Legend on DVD, but not something as well known as Schindler's List?

CHRISCHA

Post by CHRISCHA » 23 Sep 2003 10:30

I imagine they're waiting to do a big release in the future.

Remember, WW2 and freedom of Europe etc comemerations are just round the corner.

KalaVelka

Post by KalaVelka » 23 Sep 2003 10:33

Yep, good movie. The begining when Oskar S is in the restaurant where the band is playing Carlos Gardels Por Una Cabeza is very good. I dont know what makes that scene so interesting, maybe it is the very good music (por una cabeza, which is by the way also played in movie true lies :P ) and the SS collars.

There is also very pretty womens in that movie :) .

Kasper

JOHNSTUKA

Post by JOHNSTUKA » 24 Sep 2003 01:49

In my opinion, one of the best movies of all time. I can watch that movie when I'm feeling down or depressed and by the time it's over I'm very thankful I was born when I was and who I was. Watching that movie can only make you thankful you weren't born Jewish in Europe in that time.

dasboot

Post by dasboot » 25 Sep 2003 00:40

I haven't seen this movie in some time now, but I also think it's one of the best movies ever produced, period!

I was hoping that they had something planned for it's tenth anniversary, but I was wrong. I think it passed some time ago. I e-mailed the studio once and they told me that they are not expecting to produce this title on dvd as of yet.

I thing we should all at the same time e-mail those idiots who release shit like Rambo and joe blow movie's and make a request for this. Its about time we are heard.

/Dasboot

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 25 Sep 2003 01:42

I saw Shindler's list about 5 times too and it's a very good one about the holocaust. I have to admit that I cried at the end of the film when Oskar Shindler received a gold ring from the Jews that he saved, a very emotionnal moment.

Regards

Sturmmann_Fritz

Post by Sturmmann_Fritz » 25 Sep 2003 13:53

I do believe Steven Spielberg's best piece of work ever. My God he must have cried making that movie, I never cry during any movie no matter how sad, but when I saw Schindler's list I needed a tissue box by my side...Thank God the allies won World War II and that there were only a small percentage of german soldiers who were racists.

Auf Widersehen,

Fritz

Sturmgewehr

Post by Sturmgewehr » 26 Sep 2003 04:46

I have the movie on Laser Disc and have seen it several times. It never cease being interesting. Nor does it cease being saddening. I never read the book, but I did listen to the audio book, read by Ben Kingsley. He did a wonderful job.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”