Infanterieregiment Freiherr von Loudon Nr.29

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
dead-cat

Infanterieregiment Freiherr von Loudon Nr.29

Post by dead-cat » 06 Feb 2004, 11:57

my grand-grandfather was a soldier in the austro-hungarian army. living in a village roughly 30km west of Temesvar, he was probably drafted 1914 into the Infanterieregiment Freiherr von Loudon Nr.29 (another possibility Feldjägerbataillon Nr.23 ?) since that unit was based in Temesvar. the unit listing at http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/infantry.htm suggest that the 29th Infanterieregiment was part of the 34th Infanteriedivision (7th corps).

his war-stories had fighting around Przemysl as main subject so the 34th division should have been deployed there. anyone able to confirm this, as i haven't found anything on the 34th division (or the 29th Infanterieregiment) so far?

Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 25 Mar 2004, 15:41

I am not exactly sure here but I believe that there has been written the regimental histroy (or war album) of HIR 29 and IR 29. The full title of the book is:

Caesar de Sgardelli: "A MAGYAR KIRÁLYI BUDAPESTI 29. HÓNVEDGYALOGEZRED ÉS A MAGYAR KIRÁLYI 29. NÉPFÖLKELÕ GYALOGEZRED HADTÖRTÉNETI EMMLÉKKÖYVE", Merkantil ny., 1936

As far as the Feldjägerbataillon Nr. 23 is concerned I don't know any book about it, but the battalion history of a predominantly Hungarian Feldjägerbataillon Nr. 24 has been written. Don't know how much can this be helpful though. But then again it is also true that to my knowledge only eight batallion histories of k.u.k.Feldjägerbataillon have ever been written.

lp,

Klemen

Orok

Post by Orok » 25 Mar 2004, 18:23

Klemen,

The k.u.k. Infanterie Regiment Freiherr von Loudon Nr. 29 and m.k. Budapesti 29. Honvedgyalogezred are two different regiments, the former was part of the k.u.k. Common Army recruited from the Nagy Becskerek area, the latter part of the Hungarian Landwehr (Honved) recruited from Budapest.

Dead-Cat,

The Fortress of Przemyśl was invested on September 7, 1914 and finally surrendered to the Russians on March 22, 1915. During this period, IR 29 was part of the 68th Infanterie Brigade, which was part of the 34th Infanterie Division. The 34. ID arrived at the Galician Front on August 30, 1914 and was part of the X. Korp under General der Infanterie Hugo Meixner von Zweienstamm. The X. Korp did fight at Przemyśl until early 1915. So in all possibility your great grandpa might indeed be with the IR. 29.

Best Regards!
Last edited by Orok on 05 May 2004, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

dead-cat

Post by dead-cat » 26 Mar 2004, 16:38

thanx alot guys!

Gwynn Compton

Post by Gwynn Compton » 27 Mar 2004, 14:19

This is what I love to see in the Forum, thanks to all of you for helping out here :)

Gwynn

dead-cat

Post by dead-cat » 05 May 2004, 00:09

follow up:

it seems that the IR 29 "Freiherr von Loudon" was composed mainly of serbs and croats.
since my grand-grandfather was of german origin, IR 61 "Ritter von Frank" (also Temesvar) would be more likely, since it was 37% (?) german.

Orok

Post by Orok » 05 May 2004, 01:17

dead-cat,

My understanding is that IR 61 also fought within 34. ID until end of April 1915, so this regiment also fought at Przemyśl during the right time period. After May 1, 1915 it was transfered to 17. ID to form part of Archduke Joseph's XII. Corps on the Italian Isonzo Front.

One last note, even if a regiment is majority of one or two nationalities, there would always be a significant number of other nationalities among them. Although IR 29 is plurality Serb-Croat, that two nationalities only counted for 44% of the men. However IR 29 was not based in Temesvár (the Bánát), but in Nagy Becskerek.

Best Regards!
Last edited by Orok on 05 May 2004, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

dead-cat

Post by dead-cat » 05 May 2004, 07:22

Orok,

well that's the big question. some sources say Nagy Becskerek only for the IR29, some say Nagy Becskerek and Temesvar.

btw. Nagy Becskerek is located in the serbian Banat (historically Banat belongs to Transsylvania), about 60km SW of Temesvar. name today: Zrenjanin.

but, if you say that the IR 61 was transferred to italy it makes it unlikely again, because my grand-grandfather was on the eastern front all the time (to my knowledge)

hmmm....

Orok

Post by Orok » 05 May 2004, 17:16

dead-cat,

If you have your great grandpa's name, I would suggest you write to the Kriegsarchiv in Vienna and I am sure they will help you find out his military carrer.

Good luck to your research and my Best Regards!

Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 05 May 2004, 18:26

Luckily there also exists the regimental history of IR 61 in the Great War but only until the end of the year of 1917. The full title of the book is:

Andor Kun: "K.u.k. Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 61 in Waffen 1914 – 1917"; Temesvár 1918

The book was published shortly after the Karfreit breakthrough and ends there, so it does not include the last battles on the Piave River in 1918. This book is very rare and hard to get today as only a limited number of copies was printed. Due to the courtesy of my friend who does have a copy of it I think I have somewhere scanned index of contents from this book, so if you are interesting you may contact me and I will try to send them to you.

What was your grand-grandfather's name, if I may ask?

Klemen

dead-cat

Post by dead-cat » 05 May 2004, 20:24

What was your grand-grandfather's name, if I may ask?
his name was Franz (Ferenc) Noheimer, born in Gyertyamos/Carpinis , Torontal, Banat on 26.02.1891

according to the last of his daughters still alive (a sister of my grandmother), he spend the entire war, until he was taken prisoner in 1917, on the eastern front, which makes the IR 61 unlikley and the IR29 probable. unfortunatly she doesn't seem to remember much more WW1 related infos anymore.

thanks to everybody for the assistance. i could kick myself that i didn't bug my grandmother more about this, while she was alive. i guess i thought she'll live forever.

to everybody reading this thread: don't be as lazy as i was, if you know someone who knew a WW1 vet, interview him and write down the story, otherwise it's lost forever.
speaking of which, i can't seem to get my father to write down his experiences as a prisoner in the soviet union :(.
i wish my name would be quoted in events which were related to my life 100 years after my own death...

cheers

Orok

Post by Orok » 05 May 2004, 20:48

dead-cat,

Is there any possibility that your great grandpa was not in the common Army, but with one of those Honved IRs which recruited from the Banat?

The Honved Regiments recruited from around the Temesvar-Nagy Beczkerek area are the following:

k.u. Honved IR Nr. 5 (Seged)
k.u. Honved IR Nr. 7 (Versecz)
k.u. Honved IR Nr. 8 (Lugos)

There is also possibility that your old-old man served in technical units, like artillery, which basically recruited from around the Monarchy. Could he be a cavalry man?

Best Regards!

dead-cat

Post by dead-cat » 05 May 2004, 22:13

not to my knowledge. he owned a small grocery store and had no special training. all males drafted from the village were within the same regiment, and the population was 98% german. so it's very unlikely that he was in honved regiment.
i remember asking my grandmother about his rank. she didn't know but she said he belonged to the regular infantry.

Orok

Post by Orok » 05 May 2004, 22:36

dead-cat,

All infanterieregimenter took their recruits according to specific recruiting districts assigned to them, the nationality/language of the recruits was theoretically irrelevant, the only thing matters was where a specific recruit lived. However since the commanding language in Honved units were Hungarian (Croatian in units raised from the Croat-Slavonia area), your father being German might have chosen to volunteer for a German-speaking regiment, knowing that he would be conscripted into the Army anyway!

Best Regards!

Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 06 May 2004, 00:17

Why don't you just simply ask the Kriegsarchiv in Wien (Austria) or the Hungarian War Archives in Budapest (Hungary) to see if still have his service records? :roll: This way you would end this agony for ever and spare a lot of your time..

All Orok, you and I can do now is to guess which regiment he was in and what was his rank and as you can see we operate with way too litttle information to give you a precise answer. The only way to obtain such an information is to contact the upper two mentioned archives. In this case, if you decide to pursue this option, I would advise you to start with Budapest, since Banat was officially under Hungarian domain. Hope this helps.

Klemen

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”