Generalkommando z.b.V.

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Abel Ravasz

Generalkommando z.b.V.

Post by Abel Ravasz » 16 Aug 2004, 11:12

Hi,

in an OOB for PzAOK 4, I have found the following entry:

3/2/42 - [...] Gen.Kom.z.b.V.: 444.Sich.Div., 454.Sich.Div.

What is this for a HQ? Is it identical with the Gen.Komm. zbV "F" (Felmy Korps)? Or another command? :?

Best,

Abel

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 16 Aug 2004, 12:23

Yes, this was the same Korps.

3/2/1943:
454.Sich.Div.
444.Sich.Div.
Kos.-Rgt. v.Jungschultz

11/2/1943:
454.Sich.Div.
444.Sich.Div.
Kos.-Rgt. v.Jungschultz
mot.Rgt.z.b.V.

16/2/1943:
454.Sich.Div.
444.Sich.Div.
Kos.-Rgt. v.Jungschultz
mot.Rgt.z.b.V.
111.ID

24/2/1943:
454.Sich.Div.
444.Sich.Div.
Kos.-Rgt. v.Jungschultz

4/3/1943:
454.Sich.Div.
111.ID
444.Sich.Div.

then replaced on the front by XXIV.Pz.Korps (Nehring).

Abel Ravasz

Post by Abel Ravasz » 16 Aug 2004, 12:40

Hi Marko,

thanks for your Blitz answer. This brings up a few more questions that hopefully you can answer.

1. Approximately when was Felmy's staff introduced to the frontline as a command for German units?

2. What was the fate of the HQ when withdrawn from the front? Was it sent to Italy to form LXVIII. AK?

3. If I understand my sources right, mot. Reg. z.b.V. is the former Regimentsstab z.b.V. des Sonderstabes F, Felmy's previous command. Am I right?

Thanks again,

Abel

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 16 Aug 2004, 19:18

Hello Abel,

Here's what I managed to find (Tieke, Schwarz, Rebentisch, Spaeter and on Internet: http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de , http://www.deutsches-afrikakorps.de , http://www.axishistory.com , http://www.feldgrau.com , etc.) in the end it turned out to be quite a lot.

mot. Reg. z.b.V. - the unit originated from Sonderverband 287 (formed 4. August 1942) also known as Deutsch-Arabische Legion, which was composed from 3 battalions and Rgt.Stab. While the unit's third battailon was operating in N Africa, where it was subsequently destroyed, the other two battalions and the Rgt.Staff was sent to the Caucasus. As part of Korps z.b.V. Felmy its mission was to advance forward to the Middle East, once the Caucasus was completely in German hands. This never happened and the corps (Sonderverband 287 was renamed in mot.Rgt.z.b.V. and was apparently corps' only unit) was in late September deployed in the Kalmyk Stepps, N of Terek (between Gruppe v. Schwerin and Gruppe Jungschulz) to defend the 1st Pz.Army's northern flank. The Russians soon began to test their defenses. On 15 October 1942 4th Kuban Cossacks Guards Cavalry Corps attacked the corps perimeter and managed to break the defenses but then wasn't able to hold on and was forced to retreat, mainly due to insufficient supplies. In January 1943 the Corps along with other formations began a long retreat from the Caucasus and then occupied the Don bridgehead at Rostov before pulling back behind Mius. On around 20 February the mot.Rgt.z.b.V., until now apparently the Corps' integral part, was due to the new crisis developing further north sent to XXIX.AK (v.Obstfelder) at Matvejev Kurgan where 4th Guards Mechanized Corps broke through.

Rgt.(mot.) z.b.V.
Composition (23 February 1943):
2 strong battalions (each over 400 men)
3 stugs,
5 light flak guns,
1 heavy flak guns,
5 15cm werfers,
1 heavy pak,
5 medium pak,

Kampfwert I. - unlimited offensive capability

The situation was mostly under control when the Rgt. arrived there on 24th (23.Pz.Div., 16.Pz.Gren.Div. with the support of sPz.Abt.503 encircled the Russian corps and then destroy it). Rgt., now also known as Gren.Rgt. (mot.) 287 was subordinated to 23rd Panzer Division, it suffered quite heavy losses to regain the old defensive line at Mius. Rgt was still on the Mius front on 29 March (now directly subordinated to XXIX.AK) and was some time later transferred back to Germany.

On 2 May 1943 the Gren.Rgt. (mot.) 287 is renamed and reorganized in Grenadier-Regiment (mot.) 92 and sent to the Balkans were it would remain basically till the end of the war and was mostly involved in antipartisan operations. The Rgt was later reorganized in Grenadier-Brigade (mot.) 92, which was known as the Balkanfeuerwehr.

After being withdrawn from the front, Generalkommando z.b.V. was in Greece reformed in LXVIII. Armeekorps z.b.V. and in September in LXVII. Armeekorps. On 9 September 1943 Felmy temporarily took over the command of 11th Italian Army, with Walter Krüger (Kdr. 1.Pz.Div.)replacing him as the corps commander.

Hope this helps
Mark

Abel Ravasz

Post by Abel Ravasz » 16 Aug 2004, 23:18

ABSOLUTELY GREAT INFO !!!

Thanks a LOT Marko!!! You've made my day!

:D :D :D

Very Best,

Abel

Abel Ravasz

Post by Abel Ravasz » 16 Sep 2004, 12:04

Hi,

I'm coming back with a few more questions about this unit.

While the unit's third battailon was operating in N Africa, where it was subsequently destroyed, [...]
Was this a 'German' or an 'Arabic' battalion?

2. Was there any Arabic presence in the unit during its Eastern Front campaign?

3. Besides the III. bn, did any other part of the unit ever fight in Africa? When?

4. Is there any connection between the unit and the Lehr Regiment Brandenburg?

5. Where did SV 287's staff come from? Was it made up from a part of Sonderstab F? (a rephrasal of the question: is Reg Stab zbV the original staff of SV 287? If not, what staff did it have until the formation of Mot Reg zbV (10 Sep 1942)?).

6. Was this unit formed within Felmy's corps, or was it transferred to this unit at an early stage of its existence?

7. As for Gren Br 92: I have seen accounts of a separate Gren Reg 92 within this unit. Furthermore, during March 1943 this regimental staff was detached from the brigade and sent to Div zbV 608. My question is: during the formation of Gren Br 92, did the original regiment staff become the 'brigade staff' or did it retain its 'regimental staff' position? Where was the other HQ acquired from?

I know this is quite a lot and maybe quite hard to answer, but please make a try...

Thanks again,
Best,

Abel

Minotauros

Re: Generalkommando z.b.V.

Post by Minotauros » 18 Jan 2010, 13:58

I'd like to know the identity of the chief of staff and the Ia of the GENERALKOMMANDO z.b.V. FELMY and the identity of the commander of the Regiment z.b.V. (mot.) between VIII 1942 and II 1943.

genstab

Re: Generalkommando z.b.V.

Post by genstab » 24 Jan 2010, 16:59

Hi, Mark-
Do you know when Gen. Krueger's temporary command at LVIII AK ended?

Best,
Genstab

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”