"Directive by Himmler, 21 May 1941, Concerning Assignment of Higher SS and Police Leaders in the Army Group Rear Area", in Trials of War Criminals Before the Nuernberg Military Tribunals Under Control Council Law No. 10. Vol. 10: United States of America v. Wilhelm von Leeb, et al. (Case 12: 'The High Command Case'). US Government Printing Office, District of Columbia: 1951. pp. 1242-1244.
Translation of Document NOKW-2079, Prosecution Exhibit 848.
[Cover of File Containing Himmler Directive], [Handwritten] Commanding General of the Security Troops South, Ia, Supplementary Volume 51, 6/9/19423 4/1943, Started--19..Concluded--19..[Stamp] 39502/55.
II 52: Copy of a copy, [Handwritten] 140 a,
[Handwritten] Original with war diary in Berlin.
21 May 1941
The Reich Leader SS,
Diary No. 114/41
40 copies--38th copy,
11 copies, Control/No. 10.
Subject: Special mission of the Fuehrer.
In agreement with the Commander in Chief of the Army, I have provided for Higher SS and Police Leaders for the sphere of political administration for the execution of the special orders given to me by the Fuehrer.
For the duration of the commitment of the Higher SS and Police Leaders in the army group rear area, I am laying down the following instructions with the assent of the Commander in Chief of the Army:
1. The Higher SS and Police Leader, with his commanding staff, is subordinated as far as marching orders, rations, and quarters are concerned to the commander of the respective army group rear area. The SS and Police troops and special task forces of the Security Police are subordinated to the Higher SS and Police Leader for executing the missions assigned by me directly.
The Higher SS and Police Leader is to inform the commander of the army group rear area from time to time concerning the missions assigned to him by me.
The commander of the army group rear area is empowered to give the Higher SS and Police Leader instructions which are necessary to avoid disturbing operations and missions of the army. They take precedence over all other instructions.
2. The SS and Police forces committed are subordinated to the commander of the army group rear area as far as marching orders, rations, and quarters are concerned. All legal and disciplinary affairs will be handled under their own competence. Insofar as the radio and signal equipment of the SS and Police units is not sufficient for transmission of orders and communications, the commander of the army group rear area, as far as duty permits, will make available the corresponding communications media of the army.
3. The missions of the SS and Police forces committed under the Higher SS and Police Leaders in the army group rear area are:
a. Referring to the SP (SD) [Security Police (Security Service)]: The missions of the Einsatzgruppen and Einsatzkommandos of the Security Police (Security Service) are already determined through the communication of the High Command of the Army dated 26 March 1941.
b. Regarding the regular police: The troops of the regular police committed, with the exception of the 9 motorized police battalions tactically subordinated to the commanders of the Security Divisions, fulfill their missions according to my basic instructions.
Insofar as the fulfillment of these missions allows it, the commander of the army group rear area can employ the troops of the regular police for military missions in agreement with the Higher SS and Police Leader.
4. The troops of the Waffen SS have, in general, similar missions to the troops of the regular police, and special missions which they will receive from me from time to time.
5. The commander of the army group rear area has disposition over all SS and Police troops in case of an urgent combat commitment in his own competency of command.
The Reich Leader SS,
Signed: H. Himmler
Certified true copy: