Totenkopf Officer

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Wiking Ruf

Post by Wiking Ruf » 24 Dec 2004, 09:34

Ostuf Charlemagne wrote:Pic of Helmut Buch ,as a young sturman in the pre-war Totenkopfverbaende.
Mobilized in the SS T-division ,for the campaign in the West ,as a Kradschuetze (moto-driver) ,then in Russia where he will stay from June 1941 till 1943 as NCO and Zugfuehrer of a Schimmwagen squad .
Wounded severely , Untersturmfuehrer in 1944 ,comeback to the same division and fight near Varsovy with the T-division ,he will be awarded the Nahkampfspange im Gold from the hands of Reichsfuehrer H. Himmler in december 1944 for his participation in more than 80 close-quarter battles (!).
Also awarded the Deutsches Kreuz im Gold , the EK I and II ,the Ostmedaille ,the Verwundetenabzeichen im Gold and other ones .
:D

Helmut Büch enlisted at 4.4.1938 in the Waffen-SS. He joined Standarte 'Oberbayern' were he served in the 11. Kompanie 3.Zug under SS-Obersturmführer Krause.
His Zugführer was SS-Untersturmführer Walter "Bubi" Reder (Ritterkreuz in 1943, SS-Sturmbannführer and held as POW in Italy until 1985 !).

After the war Helmut Büch returned home at 28th February 1948 and finally joined the German Army (Bundeswehr) and retired as a Hauptman (Captain) der Reserve.

Combat Service:

- France (1940),
- Eastern Front (1941-1945).

Promotions:

- 4.4.1938 SS-Anwärter
- 9.11.1938 SS-Mann
- 20.4.1939 SS-Sturmmann
- 23.3.1941 SS-Rottenführer
- 1.10.1941 SS-Unterscharführer
- 30.1.1943 SS-Oberscharführer
- 9.11.1944 SS-Hauptscharführer (Führeranwärter - Jünkerschüle Braunschweig)
- 21.12.1944 SS-Untersturmführer

Awards:

- Medaille zur Erinnerung an den 1. Oktober 1938 mit Spange at 1.3.1939
- Iron Cross 2nd (EK II) at 7.10.1941
- Verwundetenabzeichen in Schwarz at 1.5.1942
- Iron Cross 1st Class (EK I) at 25.5.1942
- Ostmedaille at 1.6.1942
- Verwundetenabzeichen in Silber at 10.6.1942
- Infanteriesturmabzeichen in Bronze at 1.10.1942
- Demjansk Schild at 1.1.1943
- Deutsches Kreuz in Gold 24.4.1943
- Panzervernichtungsabzeichen at 23.7.1943
- Kraftfahrbewährungsabzeichen in Gold at 28.8.1943
- Verwundetenabzeichen in Gold at 16.9.1944
- Nahkampfspange in Gold at 14.11.1944

FRANCY RITTER

OTTO BAUN

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 24 Dec 2004, 11:39

SS-Sturbannführer Otto Baum
Commander of Panzergrenadier Regiment n°5 "THULE".

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 27 Dec 2004, 03:52

I would like if a reader may post a pic of Standartenführer Cassius Freiherr von Montigny, (and his fate or military CV after 1940), a WW1 submarine commander and Weimar’s police colonel ,who was the AI of the T-division in 1940 . He was replaced by SS Brigadeführer Knoblauch in december 1940 .Eicke appreciated Montigny a lot, but hated Knoblauch whom he suspected to be spying on him for Himmler’s account. So Knoblauch was finally replaced by Lammerding, but only time after Barbarossa.
Your information about Lammerding succeeding Knoblauch is not fully correct!! See Andreas Schulz & Dr. Dieter Zinke "Die Generale der Waffen-SS und der Polizei", Volume 2, being edited in February 2005, Biblio-Verlag
Also pics of Standartenführer Karl Genzken, medical officer of the division in 1940,
Please need the "search"-button in our forum and you will find a lot about later SS-GRUPPENFÜHRER UND GENERALLEUTNANT DER WAFFEN-SS Genzken. There is also a book from Andreas Schulz and myself "Die Generale der Waffen-SS und der Polizei", Volume 1, edited in 2003, Biblio-Verlag
DZ
Ostubaf Anton Kaindl, administrative officer in 1940 , and
Stubaf Dr. Wihlelm Fuhrlander, “racial expert” officer .

The T-division was considered by the soviets as the toughest german unit of WW2, and was accepted as “real” military unit by the WH only after the extremely tough battle of Demjansk which lasted for months and where the troopers of “Papa Eicke” had to sleep in the snow with no shelter (shelters being systematically destroyed by the soviet aircrafts .)
Along the war, the T-division won 55 Ritterkreuze, incluiding 8 Oakleaves and one Sword. It exist today in the USA a good looking re-enactment group of the T-division .

Others officers of the T-division will end the war as SS generals, including Max Simon, Kdr of SS T-regiment 1 and later of the Kampfgruppe Nord (Kampfgruppe Simon) at Demjansk
Do you know the cruels in Italy, done in autumn 1944 from the SS-Panzer-Aufklärungsabteilung 16 der Division (SS-Sturmbannführer Walter Reder):
Molina di Quosa, Sant‘ Anna di Stazzema in Versilia, Fivizzano and Valla sul Bardine, Vinca, in Bergiola Foscalina and in Marzabotto (Grizzana und Monzuno) with 770 innocent civilian victims, and at last Rochidoso ??!!
Simon was accused by the British in Padua
and until his death by the western-german jurisdiction (Standgerichte, 4 Todesurteile, in Brettheim, Württemberg).
DZ
and then Kdr of the
16. SS-Panzergrenadier-Division "Reichsführer SS",
Otto Baum, Batallion commander at Demjansk who will command also the 16. "RFSS", Hermann Priess, later Kdr of I. SS Panzerkorps in Ardennes/Hungary
(and accused in the "Malmedy-Prozess")
, Helmuth Becker, last Kdr of the T-division, Karl Ullrich, later Kdr of the Wiking division, Heinz Lammerding, chief of the T-engineer Btl., later
Ia
of the division, adviser of of the antipartisan forces of SS general von dem Bach in central Russia, Kdr of the 2. SS "Das Reich" in Normandy and lately,
Chef des Generalstabes (not Ia !!)
of Heinrich Himmler when Reichsheini commanded an army
(no, my friend, but the Heeresgruppe Weichsel !!)
at the end of the war .
Oberführer Tschimpke who will command the 29. SS italian division in 1945 and
Oberführer Bertling , who provened from the LSSAH and commanded briefly the SS T-regiment 2 before to be transferred ‘cause he didn’t get along well with Eicke, later Kdr of the SS Indien Legion
(Indische Freiwilligen-Legion der Waffen-SS, built out of IR 950 of the army)
and then of the Kolberg Fortress in 1945
(commander in Kolberg was Generalmajor Fritz Fullriede!! DZ).
Lower ranks officers incluided also some later –to-be figures like Otto Skorzeny who was the engineer officer of the 3. SS Panzerregiment from october 1942 to March 1943, Saalbach who commanded later the Aufklärungsabteilung of the SS Nordland at Berlin, Ostubaf Götze, former Kdr of the SS Heimwehr Danzig who will fallen in France, 1940 , infamous Ustuf Knöchlein, the responsible of the massacre of brits POWs at Le Paradis in France and who will end the war as Ostubaf and Regimentskommandeur in the Nordland division ,before to be hanged by the brits in 1948, and also Yngve Hellenborg a swedish volunteer who started the war as a private in SS Rgt "Der Führer" and served in the T-division as an NCO in 1941 –42. .This swedish man will be send to Bad-Toelz, graduating within 9.kriegs-Junkerlehrgang in 1943 . He was scheduled to comeback as officer to the Totenkopf but, strangely, he was transferred as Untersturmfuehrer to the SD at the last minute ,being sent to the scandinavian area for some special mission .
An SS PK officer of the T-division was Friedrich Zschaeckel who served with this divison at Kharkov being promoted to Ostuf for bravery in combat in that same battle , EK I, later sent to the Das Reich at Kursk and the HJ in Normandy.

Some SS PK who covered the T-division at a time or another (but not officers) were
- Peter Adendorf (1942-44), won the Panzer assault badge .
- Baumann (in 1941)
- Duerr (in 1943)
- Franz Gottschmann, at Demjansk and Kharkov were he was KIA in 1943.
- Hermann Groenert in 1943 and then back to cover the SS-T in Poland in 1944 where he was promoted Uscha and won the EK I ,also the wounded badge in silver and Infantry assault badge .
- Hilkenbach, in late 1943 .
- Willy Merz, EK II, at Kharkov and Kursk .
- Werner Zeymer in 1943 .

To all the ones interested in the T-division, I strongly suggest to go to :
http://totenkopf2000.tripod.com/toten3.htm ( no pics but a lot of text ,like a small book and very detailed with new infos that I may rate as excelent one – To all the one who appreciate my posts : when der Ostuf Charlemagne recommend a book or webpage about the SS, do not hesitate, you won’t be disappointed ! )

For the reader who wanted more pic, willkommen !
Here the pics of Ostubaf
Dr. iur.
Eduard Deisenhofer , Kdr of 1. Btl., SS T-Regiment 1 at Demjansk ,later to be Kdr of the 15.SS Lettland in 1945 where he will be killed on the first day when he took command ... and Stubaf Georg Bochmann, Kdr of the SS – T Pak Abteilung
(no, this was the Panzerjäger-Abteilung)
at Demjansk and who will be later Kdr of the 17.SS Götz von Berlichingen .
More will follow .
I would like to see a more different and critical view of the "Totenkopf"-division. There is a gap of knowledge with you. Sorry
DZ
Attachments
deisenhofer.jpg
deisenhofer.jpg (128.95 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
bochmann.jpg
bochmann.jpg (127.78 KiB) Viewed 3576 times

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 28 Dec 2004, 13:49

Bio of Montigny and picture
Phil Nix
Attachments
montigny cassius bio.jpg
montigny cassius bio.jpg (190.31 KiB) Viewed 3498 times
montigny cassius , wagner adolf.jpg
montigny cassius , wagner adolf.jpg (42.16 KiB) Viewed 3497 times

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 29 Dec 2004, 00:52

OK ...

1.For the one who take the liberty to write INSIDE my own post (if you disagree you may do it and "quoting" after my post ,not inside .) WITHOUT to sign his name : You lack education .

2. Bertling was at Kolberg (one thing was to be WH Kommandeur and other thing to be SS Kommandeur).

3. Quoting you : "Do you know the cruels in Italy, done in autumn 1944 from the SS-Panzer-Aufklärungsabteilung 16 der Division (SS-Sturmbannführer Walter Reder):
Molina di Quosa, Sant‘ Anna di Stazzema in Versilia, Fivizzano and Valla sul Bardine, Vinca, in Bergiola Foscalina and in Marzabotto (Grizzana und Monzuno) with 770 innocent civilian victims, and at last Rochidoso ??!!
Simon was accused by the British in Padua
and until his death by the western-german jurisdiction (Standgerichte, 4 Todesurteile, in Brettheim, Württemberg). " and so on ....

May I remember you THAT WE ARE NOT IN THE WAR CRIMES SECTION !

Don't mistake the topics ,please ...topic here is to scann pics of T-officers ,not to release their sentences at the tribunals of the winners .

And about Marzabotto ,the massacres are undeniable BUT were provocate on purposes by communists partisans ,who actually murdered their own chief ("Lupo") who opponed them .saying that it would provocate german retaliations on civilians ---- which was exactly what the communist resistance was looking for . So there is a lot of gulities in the Marzabotto 's affair . Read "Il triangolo della morte" by italian author Giorgio Pisano who reveals the whole story with evidences ,and you will know what you may be talking about .

4.Quoting you again :
"I would like to see a more different and critical view of the "Totenkopf"-division. "
Oh ,really ? Well ,if my perception of the T-division is different than yours ,SO WHAT ?

Now the Cops-of -the -mind are actually intervening when somebody asks for a pic of an SS officer .What will be next ?
Will you impose your views in the collectors topics ?????

Next time stay educated and don't mistake the topics .(Open your own one about Marzabotto in the War crimes section ,and here I will meet you )

Mikedc

Post by Mikedc » 29 Dec 2004, 12:41

Hello Ostuf Charlemagne,

I tried to visit the website you mention in this textpiece but it doesn't work anylonger.

"To all the ones interested in the T-division, I strongly suggest to go to :
http://totenkopf2000.tripod.com/toten3.htm ( no pics but a lot of text ,like a small book and very detailed with new infos that I may rate as excelent one – To all the one who appreciate my posts : when der Ostuf Charlemagne recommend a book or webpage about the SS, do not hesitate, you won’t be disappointed ! )"

Greetings,
Mikedc

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 29 Dec 2004, 15:51

from page one of this thres, the first picture i believe is max seela, tank destroyer on the eastern front.

regards

vinland

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 29 Dec 2004, 23:25

Mikedc : Yep .It seems that does not exist anymore ...I don't know why ...try google "totenkopfdivision" ,this is how I found it ,3 years ago .

Vinland : Yes he is . Max Seela was later transferred to the Hohenstauffen division .

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 30 Dec 2004, 14:33

It seem that somebody took to the task of infiltrating the bunker of Ostuf Charlemagne and trying to send out false commands to the young French SS Sturmbrigade volunteers at Galicia (no wonder the high casualties of the French Sturmbrigade at battles in Galicia..but, due to the legendary resilience and determination of these freiwillingens, no matter what kind of false commands they received and despite the efforts of their enemies laying traps for the Sturmbrigades, never once the battalion was routed...)

I just don't understand why do someone has to prop out the topic of war crimes of the Totenkopf division when they could do it in the war crimes of the section...

Ostuf Charlemagne, i believe it's time for security check and meaures...secure all entrance and exits of the bunker and no one is allowed to enter or to exit even is his name is Himmler. Do it now!!! 8)

adalberto

Post by adalberto » 14 Sep 2005, 04:30

Phil,

In the photo of officers who is Montigny Please ?

Thx in advance

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 14 Sep 2005, 09:22

Lorde Darth Vader wrote:Phil,

In the photo of officers who is Montigny Please ?

Thx in advance

??????????????? Look underneath the photo posted by Phil.

Requin Marteau

Post by Requin Marteau » 25 Sep 2005, 11:11

Bonjour,

Montigny info :

- Date entrie of NSDAP ?

Thanks
Thierry

Requin Marteau

Date entry NSDAP

Post by Requin Marteau » 05 Oct 2005, 10:18

Bonjour,

Montigny's NSDAP number 1330801;

After research and stepping I think that the attribution of the numbers of adhesion to the party was made in a random way (see below) :

- 981960 (February 1932),
- 1010355 (March 1932),
- 1105236 (May 1931),
- 1061375 (March 1932),
- 1102939 (May 1932),
- 1122215 (May 1932,
- 1331914 (September 1932),
- 1359576 (April 1932),
- 1399935 (December 1932),

I think that the date of entry of Montigny is about March-April 1932

Thierry

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Re: Totenkopf Officer

Post by Georg_S » 05 Oct 2005, 11:17

FRANCY RITTER wrote:Hello !!!
I search pics of Totenkopf officer !!
mille grazie!
many thanks
The photo that you have named "bochmann" isn´t Georg (?) Bochmann
it´s SS-Ostuf Anton Thumann and the photo is of him during his time at the
KL Gross-Rosen under SS-Ostubaf Arthur Rödl´s time as Kdt of the camp.
Thumann also served at KL Neuengamme.

//Georg

Requin Marteau

Re:

Post by Requin Marteau » 08 Mar 2019, 13:42

Phil Nix wrote:
28 Dec 2004, 13:49
Bio of Montigny and picture
Phil Nix
Montigny's photo
Attachments
Montigny.jpg