Gustav Weler - Hitler's supposed "body-double"

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
MikaelSmith

Gustav Weler - Hitler's supposed "body-double"

Post by MikaelSmith » 27 Apr 2006 16:30

Who was Gustav Weler?

99% of Google hits will just contain a single sentence "Gustav Weler was employed as Hitler's body-double, a political decoy who was shot in the forehead after Hitler's suicide, and his corpse put in a water cistern where it was discovered and photographed by Soviets who mistook him for Hitler"

I notice on http://www.thirdreichpages.com/views.htm there is a message stating that He was known around Berlin for his amazing resembelance to Hitler. In prewar Berlin he was repeatedly arrested by Gestapo for impersonating Hitler and at one point ordered to remove the moustache. During the last year of the war Gustav Weler was again arrested and disappeared. which would mean that it's unlikely he was "employed as a political decoy", and instead was likely just remembered "Hey, that guy sitting in prison..." or something, it seems.

So who was he anyways? Why do we know nothing of him, in the millions of pages of captured German records we have no record of his being arrested, or where he was from? That seems odd, for a guy who was famously mistaken for proof of Hitler's death. How was the corpse identified as "Gustav Weler" anyhow? Who identified it? Did members of the RSD who supposedly executed him ever mention it?

Am I the only one who's never been able to find more information? 8O

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 27 Apr 2006 23:43

Gustav Weler lived in Munich in the 1930's until arrested by the Nazis who assumed he was poking fun at Hitler because of the physical resemblance and the way he was dressed.

Martin Bormann introduced Weler to Hitler at the Berghof, but the Fuhrer was enraged and ordered that he never wanted to see the doppelganger again and that he was to be imprisoned in a concentration camp.

Bormann, sensing that Weler could prove to be useful, disobeyed Hitler's order and hid Weler away in Munich.

I don't have any further information on him until his body was discovered in the water tower of the Berlin Fuhrerbunker in May 1945.

Best regards,

David

Virgil Hiltz

Post by Virgil Hiltz » 28 Apr 2006 02:18

We have discovered what happened to Hitlers remains after the war.Did the Russians take Welers remains also for the investigation?

MikaelSmith

Post by MikaelSmith » 28 Apr 2006 10:19

Thanks Potsdam, interesting to see Bormann's name involved :)

Two questions arise, not sure if you know - first, what was he? Like a burlesque comic that lampooned Hitler on stage, or on the streets, a pseudo-professional actor of sorts? Secondly, when you say Bormann "hid him away", I assume that means he was simply imprisoned? Or did you mean something else by that?

Much thanks guys :)

Max Williams

Post by Max Williams » 28 Apr 2006 10:36

Potsdamerplatz wrote:Gustav Weler lived in Munich in the 1930's until arrested by the Nazis who assumed he was poking fun at Hitler because of the physical resemblance and the way he was dressed.

Martin Bormann introduced Weler to Hitler at the Berghof, but the Fuhrer was enraged and ordered that he never wanted to see the doppelganger again and that he was to be imprisoned in a concentration camp.

Bormann, sensing that Weler could prove to be useful, disobeyed Hitler's order and hid Weler away in Munich.

I don't have any further information on him until his body was discovered in the water tower of the Berlin Fuhrerbunker in May 1945.

Best regards,

David
David,
Source(s) please.
Thanks,
Max.

Waffle

Post by Waffle » 06 Nov 2006 22:21

To me it's very surprising that no further information is available. Like the author of the first post said, it is very odd.

Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 07 Nov 2006 12:40

Hello!
In the thread http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... highlight= I did ask about the stand ins. Which one of these could Weler eventually be?

B

Waffle

Post by Waffle » 07 Nov 2006 16:22

I looked at the Wikipedia page of him and there was something new information:

"It has been wrongly reported that this man's name was Gustav Weler. However, this is not the case. Hugh Thomas's 1996 book Doppelgangers reports that Weler was indeed a Hitler lookalike but was located and interviewed by Allied forces after Hitler's death."

Who could it be then?

Waffle

gf

Post by Waffle » 10 Nov 2006 15:26

No one?

wolfguy

Post by wolfguy » 12 Nov 2006 03:47

Since Hermann Fegelein's body was never found (supposedly), did it ever occur to anyone that this body may have been his?

A stretch perhaps, but if you look at a portrait of Fegelein and place it next to the photo of this corpse, they look a little bit alike.

Waffle

Post by Waffle » 12 Nov 2006 14:32

wolfguy wrote:Since Hermann Fegelein's body was never found (supposedly), did it ever occur to anyone that this body may have been his?

A stretch perhaps, but if you look at a portrait of Fegelein and place it next to the photo of this corpse, they look a little bit alike.
How tall was he? The corpse was 165cm or such.. it looks like it belonged to someone aged 50+. I doubt Fegelein had ever 'stache. Fake maybe?

I recall that there was a photo of a doppelganger interviewed by Allies.. Does someone have it? I'm interested.

Waffle

Post by Waffle » 10 Feb 2007 19:30

Bringing Up My Post!

Jeremy Dixon
Financial supporter

Post by Jeremy Dixon » 11 Feb 2007 14:04

The body of Hitler's so-called double looks nothing like Fegelein at all, Fegelein was a younger man without a tash! Also I ahve to say I take anything Hugh Thomas says with a pinch of salt, his book regarding Hess was complete rubbish in my view and even worse was his book SS-1 on Himmler.

Waffle

Post by Waffle » 12 Feb 2007 14:40

trbooks wrote:The body of Hitler's so-called double looks nothing like Fegelein at all, Fegelein was a younger man without a tash! Also I ahve to say I take anything Hugh Thomas says with a pinch of salt, his book regarding Hess was complete rubbish in my view and even worse was his book SS-1 on Himmler.
I agree with you.. if he WAS he, someone would have identified him anyway because there were lots of people who knew him.

http://www.arcticbeacon.citymaker.com/a ... /41632.htm
“Skorzeny told me he helped fake Hitler’s suicide in 1945 and actually shot Hitler’s double between the eyes, leaving him there in place of Adolph,” said Orion."
Strange, maybe Skorzeny knew about him?

Ian Sayer

Post by Ian Sayer » 15 Feb 2007 14:03

I don't mean to go off the subject but I wholeheartedly agree with TR's assessment of Hugh Thomas's books on Hess and Himmler. Total rubbish in my view. And I just took a look at the link which Waffle provided. Hilarious ! As if.......! The trouble is some people are going to believe that claptrap. Oh well.....
Ian

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”