Osvobozhdenie

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Kim Sung

Osvobozhdenie

Post by Kim Sung » 02 Jun 2006, 16:08

Wow, what a movie it is~! This is a very famous documentary style movie on the Soviet Union's war against Nazi Germany. Its title is 'Liberation' (Освобождение).

For one year I've searched any link related to this colossal movie and I downloaded one piece of the whole movie (it lasts 7.5 hours). It is 'The Liberation of Kiev' (Освобождение Киева). Contrary to the general estimation on this movie, it was not that propagandistic. I strongly recommend this classic movie on the Great Patriotic War. Let me introduce this masterpiece movie~

Look at some stills!

* Image Source: Освобождение

Dniepr River

Red Army soldiers and a German POW

Red Army soldiers at trench

German bombardment

Germans attack!

Anti-tank attack

Missed one shot! :?

- To be Continued -

hchris

Post by hchris » 03 Jun 2006, 14:45

OMG I need this movie, I have been looking for it for ages with no success...
More screen captures please!

Daimyo

Post by Daimyo » 03 Jun 2006, 19:30

You can get it at http://film.arjlover.net/film/ but only between 4-10am Moscow time.

Ingsoc75

Post by Ingsoc75 » 03 Jun 2006, 21:03

Daimyo,

In an earlier post regarding this movie you said that the above link didn't have it.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... ight=kursk

I still didn't see it on there but my knowledge of Russian is bad so I may of missed it.

Is emule still the only way to download it?

Daimyo

Post by Daimyo » 03 Jun 2006, 23:37

Sorry, my bad. :) I probably confused it with Bitva za Moskvu, which is a similar movie.

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 04 Jun 2006, 13:21

It took three months to download this part.

More stills!

- To be Continued -

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 26 Jun 2006, 19:00

I downloaded another part of this long movie. It covers Operation Bagration. In particular, heroic fighting of the First Polish Army is impressive. I'll post more stills soon. This is really a masterpiece!!!!!!! Don't miss this epic movie!

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 03 Jul 2006, 20:15

This is an amazing movie. Directors chose actors and actresses who are closest to real characters. Hitler, Goebbels, Zhukov and Stalin... they are played by actors looking completely the same!!!!! :o

hchris

Post by hchris » 04 Jul 2006, 10:12

Kim Sung wrote:This is an amazing movie. Directors chose actors and actresses who are closest to real characters. Hitler, Goebbels, Zhukov and Stalin... they are played by actors looking completely the same!!!!! :o
Show some screencaptures please!

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 04 Jul 2006, 12:06

Any chance of burning this onto a disk and posting it to people?

Tony

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 04 Jul 2006, 12:34

Actually Kim, on the strength of the screenshots you have posted, I have just ordered the film fro Amazon.

Tony

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 07 Jul 2006, 12:57

hchris wrote:
Kim Sung wrote:This is an amazing movie. Directors chose actors and actresses who are closest to real characters. Hitler, Goebbels, Zhukov and Stalin... they are played by actors looking completely the same!!!!! :o
Show some screencaptures please!
Here they are.

Fritz Diez as Hitler

Bukhuti Zaqariadze as Stalin. He is also Georgian, of course.

Mikhail Ulyanov as Zhukov

Horst Giese as Goebbels

tonyh

Post by tonyh » 17 Jul 2006, 16:49

My Copy of this arrived in the post on Friday. I spent the weekend watching most of it. I have only one more film to go, (it comes in 5).

It is very good indeed and as has been said, seems very ballanced for a Russian movie. There are some silly propaganda moments though, like the Germans rounding up some Italians on the street and shooting them for no reason and some Soviet tankers sitting down to dinner with some German civilians.

There is also an EXTREMELY annoying Russian voice over all the way through the movie, when non-Russian is being spoken. This is incredibly irritating, as I was hoping that English, German, Polish and Yugoslavian would be onscreen and subtitled into Russian. Surely the makers of the DVD could have placed subs on the screen instead of hiring a voice actor to read the non-Russian parts.....very strange indeed.

The battle scenes are the highlight of the film. These scenes really are sweeping. Shot from an aircraft, it gives the impression of the vastness of some battles. The attempt to capture Kursk on film will remain the best for some time yet IMO. The crossing of the Dneiper is well executed too as is the final advance into the Berlin suburbs, with a somewhat surreal episode in the Berlin zoo.

The tanks are impressive too. Although T-34/85's (should be 76's before 1944) are used exclusively for the Russians, there has been an attempt to mock up Tigers for the Germans (no panzer IV's though). The German armour is fleshed out with 50's/60's Soviet machinery though, that looks bad when its caught onscreen.

No attempt was made, however, to try and get the aircraft correct, even though I suspect there were large quantities of Yak fighters (baring resemblance to Yak 9's and 3's) knocking around Russia. What is used instead are Yak trainers, that look nothing like fighters. I've no idea what machines were used for the German machines, but they look nothing like a 109 or a 190, at any angle.

All in all, I am glad I bought it, simply for the astounding spectacle of war that the film makers produced. But that Russian voice-over has ruined any real enyoyment of the film as a whole. I was hoping to test my German with the German scenes, but any chance of hearing what the German characters said was obliterated by the Russian voice-over.

One other thing. The producers really did attempt to make the actors look like their historical counterparts. Manstein, Model, Keitel, Jodl, Gobbels, Stalin and Zhukov deserve a mention.

Tony

Kim Sung

Post by Kim Sung » 17 Jul 2006, 17:11

tonyh wrote:It is very good indeed and as has been said, seems very ballanced for a Russian movie.
I agree. This is balanced for a Soviet movie.

tonyh wrote:There is also an EXTREMELY annoying Russian voice over all the way through the movie, when non-Russian is being spoken. This is incredibly irritating, as I was hoping that English, German, Polish and Yugoslavian would be onscreen and subtitled into Russian. Surely the makers of the DVD could have placed subs on the screen instead of hiring a voice actor to read the non-Russian parts.....very strange indeed.
To me, that Russian voice is quite interesting. Video files I downloaded were without English subtitle so I depended on Russian voice. I think not the makers of DVD but the original makers of this spectacular movie put the Russian voice into it. One strange thing is that they put a male Russian voice to a very charming Polish actress(Do you know who she is? She was graciously beautiful). I felt it quite strange. Except this, this movie was very impressive.

In particular, Zoya(the heroine of this movie)'s bathing scene was quite interesting! :D I was surprised to know that a half nude scene had been allowed in Soviet movies of the 1970s. Soviet movie makers were more open-minded than I had thought.

kalsby

Post by kalsby » 18 Jul 2006, 16:58

tonyh wrote:
There is also an EXTREMELY annoying Russian voice over all the way through the movie, when non-Russian is being spoken. This is incredibly irritating, as I was hoping that English, German, Polish and Yugoslavian would be onscreen and subtitled into Russian. Surely the makers of the DVD could have placed subs on the screen instead of hiring a voice actor to read the non-Russian parts.....very strange indeed.
It's not a fault from the makers of the DVD. Keeping the foreign language while you hear the translated language is very usual in some countries, as Russia or Poland. From the wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dubbing_%28filmmaking%29

Dubbing into a foreign language does not always entail the deletion of the original language; in some countries, a performer may read the translated dialogue as a voiceover. This often occurs in Russia and Poland, where "lektories" or "lektors" read the translated dialogue into Russian and Polish. In Poland, a single person reads all parts of the performance, both male and female. However, it is almost exclusively done for the television and home video markets, while theatrical releases are usually subtitled.
And yes, you' re right: it's VERY irritating :(

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”