Soviet Victory Parade in Red Square, June 1945

Discussions on all aspects of the USSR, from the Russian Civil War till the end of the Great Patriotic War and the war against Japan. Hosted by Art.
Potsdamerplatz

Soviet Victory Parade in Red Square, June 1945

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 21 Jul 2006, 21:21

Here is a video of original newsreel footage showing the Soviet victory parade in Red Square, Moscow on 24th June 1945 to commemorate the end of The Great Patriotic War. Very interesting footage I hadn't seen before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peQIzpnXhnw

Maybe someone can help me identify the Russian general on horseback?

Best regards,

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Re: Soviet Victory Parade in Red Square, June 1945

Post by Musashi » 21 Jul 2006, 21:46

Potsdamerplatz wrote:Here is a video of original newsreel footage showing the Soviet victory parade in Red Square, Moscow on 24th June 1945 to commemorate the end of The Great Patriotic War. Very interesting footage I hadn't seen before:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peQIzpnXhnw
It seems the commentator speaks Chinese in that video (I don't know a single Chinese word ;))
Potsdamerplatz wrote: Maybe someone can help me identify the Russian general on horseback?
Of course it's Marshal (not General) Георгий Жуков.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgy_Zhukov

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 21 Jul 2006, 23:50

Yes, I thought it might be Zhukov.

Thanks.

BIGpanzer

Post by BIGpanzer » 22 Jul 2006, 17:20

I found the following interesting videos:

1. http://www.army.lv/video/145.wmv (Soviet WWII victory parade, Moscow, 1945)
2. http://www.army.lv/video/150.wmv (60th victory anniversary historical parade, Moscow, 2005)

Mike R

Post by Mike R » 22 Jul 2006, 18:01

Isn't there a story about the white horse? Wasn't Stalin originally supposed to be riding the horse, but it threw him off during practice?

BIGpanzer

Post by BIGpanzer » 22 Jul 2006, 20:24

Yes, Stalin wanted to review parade troops but he fell from the white arabic horse during the preliminary training and damaged head and shoulder. So he called Zhukov and asked him to review troops as "experienced cavalrymen younger than me". Zhukov was a commander of cavalry regiment in 1920s indeed, also Stalin never served in the army, was old and of low stature, so he could be laughingstock for the brave WWII veteran soldiers. But he remembered his failure with the horse and didn't like the great popularity of Zhukov, so Zhukov was dismissed in one year exactly.
Stalin decided to see the parade from tribune (where he used foot support to look higher). Zhukov reviewed the parade with the same white horse (name - Kumir) which was used by Stalin during his unsuccessful practice.

PS I read this story in quite many sources as I am very fond of horseracing by the way :)

G. Trifkovic
Forum Staff

Post by G. Trifkovic » 22 Jul 2006, 20:37

BIGpanzer wrote:Yes, Stalin wanted to review parade troops but he fell from the white arabic horse during the preliminary training and damaged head and shoulder. So he called Zhukov and asked him to review troops as "experienced cavalrymen younger than me". Zhukov was a commander of cavalry regiment in 1920s indeed, also Stalin never served in the army, was old and of low stature, so he could be laughingstock for the brave WWII veteran soldiers. But he remembered his failure with the horse and didn't like the great popularity of Zhukov, so Zhukov was dismissed in one year exactly.
Stalin decided to see the parade from tribune (where he used foot support to look higher). Zhukov reviewed the parade with the same white horse (name - Kumir) which was used by Stalin during his unsuccessful practice.

PS I read this story in quite many sources as I am very fond of horseracing by the way :)
If Beevor is right, Stalin's son Vassily warned Zhukov about the Kumir's temperamental nature-latter used every minut he could to "tame" the animal before the parade.

Cheers,

Gaius

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 23 Jul 2006, 10:21

BIGpanzer wrote:Yes, Stalin wanted to review parade troops but he fell from the white arabic horse during the preliminary training and damaged head and shoulder. So he called Zhukov and asked him to review troops as "experienced cavalrymen younger than me". Zhukov was a commander of cavalry regiment in 1920s indeed, also Stalin never served in the army, was old and of low stature, so he could be laughingstock for the brave WWII veteran soldiers. But he remembered his failure with the horse and didn't like the great popularity of Zhukov, so Zhukov was dismissed in one year exactly.

If lie repeat repeatedly it does not mean that it - lie - can will turn to the truth.
For example, I many times read that the planet the Earth was visited{attended} by aliens on a UFO. But for some reason it seems to me that it is lie.

In a line of other advantages of Stalin there is also that this person has been absolutely deprived peacockery.
Parade on June, 24th, 1945 crowned with itself the Victory over such war which before was not conducted by anybody and there is no time.
And already anybody also will never gain such Victory.
Anybody will not have more such Parade. It then understood all.
This Victory belonged, first of all, to Russian people about what Stalin has told in the well-known speech during a dinner in the Kremlin arranged for participants of this Parade.
Stalin could not skip on a state of health on a horse astride.
To him have suggested to take advantage of the car.
From time immemorial parade in Russia accepted top of a horse and not during such moment we shall change this tradition. Stalin's answer was those.
In this answer all Stalin.
For him on the first place of all there was a business and prestige of the state.
And on the second place. And on the third place too.
I am at a loss to tell on what place at him there was that the personal prestige is called.

Who denies presence at Stalin of outstanding qualities and talent of the military leader shows the weak knowledge of real events of Great Patriotic war.
Among Russian the soldier and officers Stalin's authority as Supreme Commander in Chief was so high and indisputable, that any falling from a horse could not affect{influence} it.
After war Stalin's authority was so huge and in the Western Europe about what now prefer to forget.
Lead in 1947 in France poll has shown, that 58 % of the Frenchmen were considered by Red Army and Stalin have played a leaging role in clearing France of German occupation. Only 28 % of the interrogated Frenchmen have told, that the leaging role in it should be given Americans.
It is the fact was not the last in a line of those reasons on which on elections in France in 1946 communists have won.
If now to ask the Frenchmen, in about a role of Red Army and Stalin during WWII 99,9 % will answer you, that the role Red Army consisted in that, Red Army men have raped all Germans who have got on their way, and has shot Poles in Katyn.

Someone is pleasant or not, but Stalin has entered history of wars as the most outstanding military leader not only the twentieth century, but also all second millenium.

The opinion on qualities of this or that historical figure should be formed, first of all, on a documentary basis, instead of according to others let even dear, people.

/

udachi / good luck

Yuri

BIGpanzer

Post by BIGpanzer » 23 Jul 2006, 13:29

:lol: Yuri, but the story with the horse really took place! Also Stalin looked like usual man in his military coat but he always afraid to lose the glory and power, and that was demonstated in all - starting from murdering his political opponents and finishing with the absence of high people in the Stalin's entourage (as he was of low stature). This is also the reson why Stalin didn't want to use a car during the victory parade (see the last Zhukov's memoirs). Of course you know about one-week Stalin's shock in June 1941 when the war began and about the fact that Stalin never visited the front during WWII. When he decided to visit Berlin to meet with US president and British premier-minister just after the end of WWII - Stalin used a special armored train, several tens of thousands NKVD soldiers guarded every meter of the railway + 8 armored trains of NKVD guarded the railway (and Stalin asked to report about preparation of this trip every day to him personally), special villa with 15 rooms was prepared for only Stalin in Potsdam (with 3 circles of guard around), and 62 villas for his entourage in Berlin's suburbs.
And you confused very much the hard victory of Soviet Army in WWII and increase of USSR prestige after WWII with the glory of Stalin.

BP
Last edited by BIGpanzer on 23 Jul 2006, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 23 Jul 2006, 13:41

Please stick to discussing the victory parade in this thread.

/Marcus

Königstiger

Post by Königstiger » 23 Jul 2006, 13:54

The man on the white horse is Marshal of the Soviet Union Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov, the man on the black horse in the foreground is Marshal of the Soviet Union Konstantin Konstantinovich Rokossovsky.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 24 Jul 2006, 00:02

Several non thread related posts have been removed.

Marcus has already stated before that this thread must remain on track

Regards

Andy H

Yuri

Post by Yuri » 24 Jul 2006, 12:49

On video it is possible to notice the conductor of a military orchestra.
He is Vasily Ivanovich Agapkin.
He the author of the most well-known military march of Russia "Slavjanka's Farewell". (slavjanka = The Slav's woman)
V. I.Agapkin has written notes of the march in the autumn to 1912 in a country town Tambov. At that time Vasily Agapkin was a staff-trumpeter
Here again it is possible to see a photo where Agapkin it is is taken off when wrote of the immortal march.
http://www.tstu.ru/win/kultur/composer/agap/agap.htm

And here elderly lady is daughter Agapkina.
http://narkom.mos.ru/rubric/1/agapkin.html

V. I. Agapkin is known for still and what he conducted a military orchestra on other, not less well-known parade, - Parade of armies of the Moscow garrison on November, 7th, 1941, taken place when armies Wermacht stood all in 40 km from the Red Square.

Here it is possible to hear melody of a Agapkin's march (the fifth from above)
http://www.thepaganfront.com/brangolf/music.html

/
udachi / Good luck

Yuri

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 24 Jul 2006, 13:55

A few posts were splitt off into a new thread entitled Stalin in the Polish-Soviet war.

/Marcus

TISO

Post by TISO » 24 Jul 2006, 20:52

Agapkin's march Proschanye Slavyanki (writen in 1912) is to me one of the best ever military marches:

March with Red army chorus (from the 70's).
http://download.sovmusic.ru/m32/slavanka.mp3

Later text ( First link):
http://www.sovmusic.ru/text.php?fname=slavanka

Instrumental version:
http://download.sovmusic.ru/m/slavank2.mp3

Prerevolutionary text ( WW1 ):
http://www.sovmusic.ru/text.php?fname=slavank2

Return to “The Soviet Union at War 1917-1945”