Churchill, one of the Greatest War Criminals?

Discussions on the Holocaust and 20th Century War Crimes. Note that Holocaust denial is not allowed. Hosted by David Thompson.
julian

Churchill, one of the Greatest War Criminals?

Post by julian » 18 Nov 2002, 11:20

On Saturday whilst perusing the Age newspaper, one of Australia's major rags, I noticed a particularly bold statement by the reviewer of the two latest works on Winston Churchill. The reviewer, an ARC Senior Research Fellow at La Trobe University, made the following assertion:

'Much worse than a failure, Churchill's policy of deliberate terrorisation of civilians must count as one of the greatest war crimes of the 20th century'*

Now while no great fan of Churchill's, this statement to me seems rather overblown, does the bombing campaign(I'm assuming this is the terrorist act to which the reviewer refers) against German cities stand in the first rank of war crimes with the holocaust? Do these sort of statements, critical in the worst way of an allied leader, infer there is some revision occuring as to culpability in the second world war? I would be interested in any input from fellow posters.

Cheers

Julian
*quote taken from: The Age, Saturday, 16th of November, Saturday Extra, pg 9, 'The lingering shadow'

Phil V

Post by Phil V » 18 Nov 2002, 15:35

The "Churchill War Criminal" subject has been discussed on numerous previous occassions in the Forum.

Do a search under the topic or have a look at this thread:

http://www.thirdreichforum.com/phpBB2/v ... php?t=4106

Return to “Holocaust & 20th Century War Crimes”