Suomi+Sturmgewehr=?

Discussions on the small arms used by the Axis forces.
DragunovSVD

Suomi+Sturmgewehr=?

Post by DragunovSVD » 18 Dec 2006 02:12

hey all,

was the StG44 ever given to the Finns? i've seen a pic of an StG in a Finnish museum and i had to wonder.

greetings to Tom and Tero... if they see this......

cheers!
Dragunov

Alk

Post by Alk » 18 Dec 2006 07:56

A German Assault Gun battalion and an infantry division were rushed to Finland in 1944 to help counter the massive Russian offensive against the Finns. Several planeloads of panzerfausts were sent as well.

Although the Finns asked for 6 divisions, the help given by the Germans was enough for the Soviets to to negotiate a peace favorable to them, while allowing the Finns to remain free (a huge win for the Finns who Stalin grudgingly respected). During the month the before the peace treaty the Russians made no real progress against the stubborn Finns, who now had weapons to counter the massed T-34's and KV2's thrown against them.

It would seem somewhat logical that the Germans would have brought some StG44s with them as they were just then being manufactured in number.. I would doubt that any of these were given directly to the Finns, as small arms were not what they were asking for. They needed help in killing Russian tanks.

JTV

Re: Suomi+Sturmgewehr=?

Post by JTV » 18 Dec 2006 08:50

DragunovSVD wrote:hey all,

was the StG44 ever given to the Finns? i've seen a pic of an StG in a Finnish museum and i had to wonder.

greetings to Tom and Tero... if they see this......

cheers!
Dragunov
No, it seems that the Germans never gave StG-44 to the Finns. At least Finnish books about the subject and documents of Ordance Department (part of Finnish Armed Forces GHQ) never suggest such a thing. Finnish Army had heard German projects resulting first assault rifles first already in 1942, but that was just about all. What I remember Markku Palokangas in his excellent "Military Small Arms in Finland 1918 - 1988" concluded that German troops serving in Finnish area also had only a very small number sturmgewehr with them.

However you might be interested to know that designer of Suomi-submachinegun, Aimo Lahti, also designed assault-rifle-like AL-43 in 1943-1944. While this weapon didn't reach mass-production it makes interesting comparison. Some info in my website:
http://www.jaegerplatoon.net/ALMOST1.htm#AL43

Jarkko

Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan » 18 Dec 2006 08:51

Alk, that's similar to the response I gave him on Feldgrau!! Unfortunately, he's referring to the Sturmgewehr, not the Sturmgeschütz!

Harri

Post by Harri » 18 Dec 2006 10:41

Alk wrote:During the month the before the peace treaty the Russians made no real progress against the stubborn Finns, who now had weapons to counter the massed T-34's and KV2's thrown against them.
I think you mean IS-2s?

DragunovSVD

Post by DragunovSVD » 19 Dec 2006 03:21

thanks all!

and it's sturmgewehr, not sturmgeschütz! :wink:

for info on the StuG in Finn service, go to http://www.andreaslarka.net

Mangrove

Re: Suomi+Sturmgewehr=?

Post by Mangrove » 09 Dec 2020 20:37

According to documents at the National Archives of Finland, Finland received a Sturmgewehr 44 from Czechoslovakia as a gift sometime before 1957. This was used in trials that resulted the adaptation of RK-60 and later RK-62. The rifle might be same one that is currently on display at Military Museum’s Manege at Suomenlinna.

According to Ahto's article Saksalaisten joukkojen sopivuus sodankäyntiin Pohjois-Suomessa vv 1941 - 1945, (Geb.) AOK 20 had 20 assault rifles at Lapland during August 1944.

Return to “Small Arms”