Japanese invasion of Shandong in 1914

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
Seesoldat

Japanese invasion of Shandong in 1914

Post by Seesoldat » 11 Jan 2007 08:40

From different sources the Japanese Commanders (Admiral Kamimura with 26 ships) and Divisions/Brigades (Gen Kamio with 18th Infantry from Kurume) are known to the european public.

But what seems to be unknown is the use of these forces after their landing near Lungkou close to Laitschou on the northern shore of Shandong. Which exact forces used which routes to march towards the German possession of Tsingtao and which exact forces marched alongside the Shandong Railway to occupy the capital of Shandong, Jinan?

The Japanese started their advance on September 05th and got first in contact with German patrols close to Tsimo. Which Japanese units fougt the skirmish there on September 12th and afterwards on the banks of the Paischaho on September 13th?

May anybody out there give any help?

Markus

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 11 Jan 2007 09:04

Hi Markus

From what I can gather the Japanese 18th Division had three brigades in 1914--the 23rd,24th,29th.

Lungkou was first occupied by the 24th Brigade and the 22nd Cavalry Regiment on the 2nd September 1914.

Its said "the rains and winds were the worst for 60 years",hence accounting for the slow Japanese buildup and advance.

By the 18th September the 29th Brigade and the 24th Field Artillery Regiment also landed at Lungkou.

Meanwhile the 23rd Brigade landed at Laoshan Bay (30 miles NE of Tsingtau)on the 19th September.

The Tsimo skirmish is said to have involved 'Japanese cavalry sent ahead as scouts",I take this as a cavalry unit from the 22nd Cavalry Regiment.Also cavalry were involved at Paischaho the next day.

Regards
Peter

Seesoldat

Post by Seesoldat » 12 Jan 2007 11:23

Hi Peter,

thank you for your reply!

If I try to analyze your posting I get the conclusion that the Japanese amphibious force of Admiral Kamimura transported with its 26 ships first only the 24th Infantry Brigade and the 22nd Cavalry Regiment. This means the rest landed after building the pontoon bridge at the beach and after its destruction by flood by using the harbour of Lungkou ?

As far as I know the whole 18th Division was landed at Lungkou. To my mind the 23rd Brigade belonged to the 15th Division, which led the landing at Laoshan Bay and the 29th Brigade belonged to the 18th Division and landed at Lungkou.

Do you know about the Brigade or Bataillon, which occupied the Shandong Railway and the capital of the Shandong province, Jinan? How many soldiers did Gen. Kamio spend for this operation?

Which sources did you use for your posting and are these sources available via Internet?

Yours

Markus

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 13 Jan 2007 01:33

Markus,

Information from Purnell's History of the First World War,1969.

This link gives the later arriving Japanese 8th Infantry Regiment as advancing along the Shandong Railway to Jinan.

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/tsingtao.htm

Regards
Peter

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”