General's death in Osnabrück

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr.

General's death in Osnabrück

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 26 Jan 2007, 15:23

A Yugoslav general ( I think a Brigadier General) was killed bwhen German guards opened fire on the doors of a hut in Oflag VI-C Osbnabrück. He was General Dimitri Pavlovic. I know only this about his life. Can anyone help me to have infos on him.

Yugoslav Brigadier General Despot A. Damjanovic, fmr. deputy Co of the Jadranske Divisional District, was killed by American bombs during an air raid in the camp. The question is when?

Yugoslav Brigadier General Jovan F. Acimovic, fmr. Co of the 46th Division Moravske died in 1943 in the camp. I don't know also when and what is the cause of death. Perhaps disease.

The ff are also Yugoslav generals who died in German camps. I don't know what camp:

BG Zivorad R. Bozic in 1945
MG Dusan Trifunovic in 1942
MG Vladimir J. Belic in 1943

Can anyone help me to know them well? Their dates a nd places of death.

Best Regards
Baron

Steen Ammentorp

Re: General's death in Osnabrück

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 26 Jan 2007, 18:30

BG Dimitrije V. Pavlovic, who retired in 1934, died on the 18th March 1943.
BG Despot A. Damjanovic, 6th December 1944
BG Jovan F. Acimovic, date not known, died of a head injury.
BG Zivorad R. Bozic, no date, but died somewhere in Bosnia
MG Dusan P. Trifunovic, 28th February 1942, Nuremberg
MG Vladimir J. Belic, 21st February 1942, place unknown

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War II

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 26 Jan 2007, 22:17

Steen Ammentorp,

Sir did you know other Yugoslav generals who died during the war while in captivity?

Please let me know.

Best Regards
Baron

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 08 Feb 2007, 21:19

What was the reason why retired general Pavlovic was held as POW? Is there any retired Yugoslav general also held by the Germans? Please let me know.

Best regards
Baron

HFK

Nedic, Milan & Milutin

Post by HFK » 09 Feb 2007, 07:18

Baron, Good evening. This message is to clear some confusion regarding the Nedic brothers. 1- Milan Nedic, 1882-1946, committed suicide in 1946. 2- Milutin Nedic, 1877-1945, was executed by the Jugoslavs in 1945. Regards, HFK

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 10 Feb 2007, 12:03

Thanks.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 06 Nov 2012, 13:08

Interesting old topic, related to two members of my family :)
Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. wrote:A Yugoslav general ( I think a Brigadier General) was killed bwhen German guards opened fire on the doors of a hut in Oflag VI-C Osbnabrück. He was General Dimitri Pavlovic.
My grandfather was an officer POW in Oflag VI C (survived), but I don't have further infos on General D. Pavlović. Still, I must mention that Oflag VI C was one very interesting and highly unusual camp (Jewish POWs in particular are in question), which is for some strange reason poorly researched. I've read that there's a team of people working on discovering the truth behind this place. (some camp-info on German Wikipedia http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oflag_VI_C and some info on camp's rabbi http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zvi_Asaria - who used to be a rabbi in my neighborhood)
Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. wrote:MG Dusan Trifunovic in 1942
My great-grandmother's (mother of the above mentioned grandfather) brother was General (and ex-Minister) D. Trifunović. He died in Oflag XIII B. There's a photo of his funeral in the book about him by M. Bjelajac & P. Trifunović, called "Između vojske i politike" (Between army and politics).

Cheers,
Ivan

Post by Lornito Uriarte Mahinay Jr. » 30 Dec 2012, 06:11

I see. So about Gen. Trifunovic, do you have the link to that photo?

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 30 Dec 2012, 13:50

Something is wrong with forum photo-uploading system, so I had to use another online service. Both photos were scanned from the above mentioned book, "Između vojske i politike".

Commander of the Oflag XIII-B, von Imhoff [saluting] at the funeral of Yugoslav officers, Langwasser, Feb. 28th 1942. This is slightly confusing to me, in the book was written that Trifunović died on this day, but that the funeral was planned for March 7th (perhaps I missed something).

General Trifunović's coffin, on the left (his nephew V. Cvetković behind, with beard).

Funeral speech of the camp commander, von Imhoff (translated from Serbian, by me):
It is up to me to depart from your deceased comrades on the behalf of the German armed forces. I can easily understand your feelings at the moment when you are leaving a comrade far away from Homeland. Your comrades who faced death will not rest here as enemies, because death equals [unites] both sides. On their graves were placed wreaths with ribbons with the swastika insignia, the symbol of our sun and hope for better future. I am convinced that the time will come, when our two nations [folks] will cooperate in peace together. I wish to the dead an eternal glory and resting in peace.

[after his speech, von Imhoff saluted the graves]

Frankfurter

Post by Frankfurter » 09 Apr 2013, 17:45

Ivan Ž. wrote:I must mention that Oflag VI C was one very interesting and highly unusual camp (Jewish POWs in particular are in question), which is for some strange reason poorly researched. I've read that there's a team of people working on discovering the truth behind this place. (some camp-info on German Wikipedia http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oflag_VI_C and some info on camp's rabbi http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zvi_Asaria - who used to be a rabbi in my neighborhood
Very interesting indeed. That must have been unique in Germany in the war. 400 Jewish officers to be able to live together and celebrate as a Jewish community with an own rabbi for years until 1944, even marching deceased members through Osnabrück to the Jewish cemetary and bury them there with Jewish rites. How was the camp commandant able to allow this without being overruled? Unfortunately nothing about what happened to them after there was a severe bombing in December 1944. Seems many survived though.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”