Heinrich Himmler's Great Chair - real or fake?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Hans1906
Banned

Re: Heinrich Himmler's Great Chair - real or fake?

Post by Hans1906 » 13 Sep 2021, 16:39

With this whole topic it can be only pure "fooling" (G:"Verarschung"), profiteering with ignorant people, who have too much money left over...

Any reasonably talented carpenter, or master carpenter could make such a "throne seat" in just under a week.
Finding the old wood, no problem, every German furniture forger, and there are hundreds of them, has its own sources.
I would put the carving at about 500,- Euro today, a good wood carver needs one, maybe two days for it.

I worked in the trade myself for many years, our main focus was the restoration of North German peasant furniture from the last 300+ centuries.

German wisdom says:
"Jeden Tag steht ein Dummer auf, dem man etwas Dummes verkaufen kann!"
("Every day a stupid person gets up, to whom you can sell something stupid!") :lol:

How many of these seats you want, guaranteed "antique" ?
(And every, really every story is included for free)

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Sid Guttridge

Re: Heinrich Himmler's Great Chair - real or fake?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 14 Sep 2021, 19:04

Hi Guys,

I don't know about "Himmler's Great Chair", but I have seen, sat in and used a chair built for Goering. It is in a tower on one of the former RAF bases in Germany (I think above the Officers' Mess).

It was built in the 1930s for Goering to watch training flights and he would then call the young pilots up to meet him there.

Goering had a sense of humour and had a special chair installed there. He would address them and at some stage would use the phrase "If I lie to you, may the beam above my head crack open". Using a distracting hand to point up to it, he would pull a secret lever with the other and this would operate a mechanism that did, indeed, crack open the beam above his head!

It was still working when I tried it as a mid-teenager in about 1970.

Does anyone know if it still there and working?

Cheers,

Sid.

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”