Loading Fuel Short: Photo of U 530

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the submarine forces of the Kriegsmarine.
ohrdruf

Loading Fuel Short: Photo of U 530

Post by ohrdruf » 20 Feb 2007, 16:59

Can anybody suggest a reason why a U-boat preparing for a long voyage would load 30% short on fuel so that the Chief Engineer could "optimize the stability of the boat"?

I wonder if anybody has a photograph of U 530 from 1944/1945 taken prior to departure from Kiel early in 1945?

Many thanks in advance for help.

Cook

Post by Cook » 05 Mar 2007, 14:09

Hello again. Maybe you would agree with me if I told you that there are two U 530. I beleive the second one (Mar del Plata) is a ghost ship, or a ship with clandestine crew, everybody with different IDs.
I have some pictures if you want to.

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 05 Mar 2007, 16:53

Dear Cook

There is certainly something not right about U 530 from the ArgNavy interrogation of Wermuth and statements he and the crew made on disembarking..

The fact that most of the crew was indocumentado might be explained by some of the crewmen having been landed and replaced by "Admiral Graf Spee" volunteers. The identity documents would not fit, and in the absence of documents for the replacement men in the appropriate names, the way out would have been to destroy all documents. This could have been done in the period of 28 hours unaccounted for, from 0300 on 9 July 1945 when U 530 was at Miramar, where there was an Etappendienst station, until the boat's surrender next day.

There are reasons to suspect a substitute boat might have been used, one such reason being the mystery of the deck gun. I see you are in Buenos Aires? I live in barrio Boedo. If you want to meet to discuss the photos let me know, I am certainly interested in hearing ideas.

Cook

Post by Cook » 06 Mar 2007, 05:19

I think you are right, and I think that there´s something about the past patrols done by this ship. Remember that the first skipper of the U 530, Kurt Lange, when he heard that his old ship was surrendered in the other side of the world, he said it were not possible, he said that it was another boat and not his original U 530, which was heavily damaged since 1944 patrol.
I could definitely have a pavita sandwinch in the bar Margot, in Boedo.
[email protected]
Email me, spanish or english is allright.
Best wishes...

USAUBOATS

Re: Loading Fuel Short: Photo of U 530

Post by USAUBOATS » 20 Nov 2018, 21:40

Hello Are you two gents still on here?
I am researching the U 530, one of my USA U-boats. I find this very interesting
Bill
Athens Ga.

Return to “U-Boats”