Arthur Phleps Decorations

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
Cartaphilus

Re: Arthur Phleps Decorations

Post by Cartaphilus » 27 Nov 2011, 13:35

Thank you, very useful info.

Stuckes58

Post by Stuckes58 » 27 Nov 2011, 15:23

Here for you is an example of a police green SS collar tab. whoever was its original owner was a high ranking member of the police, most likely holding the rank of SS-Brigadeführer und Generalmajor der Polizei.

herr stuckes

source: http://www.themarshalsbaton.com/SS%20Ge ... age053.jpg

WilliSaenger

Post by WilliSaenger » 02 Dec 2011, 21:59

Herr Stuckes: I think, you're right with the second part of your assumption, that the SS patch shows, that Phleps was a "proper member of the SS" "recruited" as a cadre for this non-German unit. You also see these patches very often with German cadres of SS-Divison Handschar.

But I think, you confuse the police thing. Former members of the police (or army), who became uniformed SS men, wore a V on the right arm and not the SS patch under their left brest pocket.

Stuckes58

Post by Stuckes58 » 02 Dec 2011, 23:50

greetings,

are you thinkin perhaps the the Honour chevron for the Old Guard? it was silver "V" worn on the upper right arm, a political decoration to show the holder in question had become a member of the SS, NSDAP or other party organisation before 30 January 1933. putting up a picture of Himmler wearing it, is that what you meant?

Also, in regards to the police issue, SS-Oberst-Gruppenfuhrer Kurt Daluege wore Police uniform with police insignia until the introduction of the SS versions with police colours, and i post a photo of him wearing these army style collar patches whilst also having the small SS patch under the left breast pocket...(Daluege is far right)

i am to believe that yes, it was to show when a non-german member was granted full SS membership as in the case of Phleps, but it was also to show that a police officer was a member of the SS as in the case of Daluege for example. if you type in "SS runes patch" into google you will see members of other forums stating the above also.

regards

herr stuckes

pic 1 source: http://www.cwporter.com/Himmlerbig.jpg
pic 2 source: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... A4gern.jpg

WilliSaenger

Post by WilliSaenger » 03 Dec 2011, 14:12

No, I don't mean the sign for "Alte Kämpfer". But the sign for former members of Wehrmacht or police looks very similar, but has a little star in the middle (a bit like the one for Stabsgefreite).

As to the SS patch on the breast, it was obviously used for both. It was used for police members, before the new uniform with SS runes on the collar was issued. But it was also used in units, were most members under the "racial" point of view would not have been able to become members of the SS. As the Prinz Eugen or Handschar, who were not allowed to have the runes on their collars. But to show, that a member of the cadre of these units came from another "proper" SS division and was a real member of the SS, they wore these breast patches. And to me it's of more logic, that Phleps wears it for the second reason. Because he was no member of the police.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”