Recommended reading on alternate history

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
SpicyJuan

Re: Recommended reading on alternate history

Post by SpicyJuan » 24 Aug 2017, 23:28

Delwin wrote:Are there any alternates dealing with Allies mistakes or changes in action? For example - France in 1940 does not fall for Mainstein plan?
Counterfactuals such as The Hitler Options or especially IF THE ALLIES HAD FALLEN (a very deceptive name) go into trying to reverse Allied mistakes. The latter has an article about if Germany went with an invasion through Belgium instead of the Ardennes, it's conclusion being that Hitler would still have driven into northeastern France, and after an operational pause finished off the rest of France although being strategically exhausted.

hwge_ekmfui

Post by hwge_ekmfui » 16 Jan 2018, 01:40

I suggest "If the Allies Had Fallen: Sixty Alaternative Scenarios of World War II" by Dennis E. Showalter and Harold C. Deutsch.
It has maps, but the text is getting hard for me to read.
Prepare for anything, and you will need nothing.

pintere
Financial supporter

Post by pintere » 16 Jun 2018, 23:52

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned "Disaster at D-Day" by Peter Tsouras. Definitely my favourite alternate history book alongside "The Third World War" by Harold Coyle.

lordroel

Post by lordroel » 27 Jul 2018, 21:17

pintere wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 23:52
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned "Disaster at D-Day" by Peter Tsouras. Definitely my favourite alternate history book alongside
Good book, if i remember correctly he concludes what happens after the last page as one of the contributors of the book Third Reich Victorious: Alternate Decisions of World War II.

GAUM1983

Post by GAUM1983 » 14 Jan 2020, 14:23

Three of my favorite WWII alternate history book

Luftwaffe Victorious of Mike Spick

Disaster in the Desert of Ken Delve

Options of Command of Trevor N Dupuy

robert208

Post by robert208 » 17 Feb 2020, 21:00

Grey Tide in the East by Andrew J. Heller. Kaiser Wilhelm II stucks to his original decision to halt the invasion of Belgium and re-deploys four armies to the eastern front. The German head of Military Railroads had a plan for this scenario and wrote about it after the war. WW 1 ends in 1915. No Somme, no blood bath on the western front.

A Man and a Plane: An Alternate Germany - Joseph T Major - The Red Baron survives WW 1 and becomes the leader of Germany in the 1920s. Enjoyable read.

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 01 Nov 2021, 04:47

A fun one is a 1998 collection of short stories in the magazine Fantasy & Science Fiction. A commemorative issue of Wells 'War of the Worlds' each short story is a vignette on the Martian invasion written in the flavor of a famous late 19th century author. There is the Jack London version of Martians lost in Alaska. A TR Roosevelt version, Teddy writing home about hunting Martians in the jungles of Cuba with Winchester rifles. The Verne version of Martian tripods in Paris attempting to woo the Eiffel tower with mating dances. I'll not spoil that one with how Verne defeats the Martians with soured Parisian wine...

vespers

Post by vespers » 31 Jan 2023, 23:13

Not precisely an AH book, but Robert Forczyk's We March Against England:Operation Sea Lion,1940-41is a great piece of work detailing a counterfactual situation.

Return to “What if”