Georg Fürst (1870-1936)

Discussions on the music in the Third Reich. Hosted by Ivan Ž.
Sdt

Georg Fürst (1870-1936)

Post by Sdt » 19 Jul 2007, 21:05

Note: the biography and the picture are from the Alte Kameraden vol. II CD's booklet that can be bought here http://www.jubal.de. Translation: courtesy of Dave (behemoth). As a biography is never complete, feel free to share your knowledge if you have any information. For example, there is no mention of the Badenweiler-Marsch in this biography.
Georg Fuerst.jpg
Georg Fuerst.jpg (25.14 KiB) Viewed 10673 times
Obermusikmeister Georg Fürst

Georg Fürst was born the tenth child of city-musician Adolf Fürst. After first obtaining his education locally, Fürst in 1888-9 deepened his knowledge at the city music-school in Nuremberg. In November 1889, he entered after his examination as a volunteer with the K.B. Infanterie-Leib-Regiment Munich. The leader of his music-corps, Max Högg recognized his qualities very soon and recommended him to take private lessons and fostered his admission to the academy of music from 1895-7. After the final examinations, he was nominated to Musikmeister and led the Musikkorps des K.B. 2. Jäger-Bataillons masterfully from July to September 1900. From 1.1.1902, he moved to Bamberg as Musikmeister of the K.B. 5. Infanterie-Regiment "Großherzong Ernst Ludwig von Hessen". Through support of his regimental commander, Karl-Ludwig Riedl, Fürst returned for Max Högg as a successor under simultaneous promotion to Obermusikmeister to his old regiment in Munich in January 1911, and in the few years until the World War I was as much from military appearances as through his concert activities laying the foundation for his later popularity. The titles of many compositions of Georg Fürst illustrate the path or his regiment in the war years and focus on large battles. Places like Saarburg, Vimy, Fleury, Epehy, Kemmel, but also Isonzo, Alpenkorps, Dolomites, Tagliamento and Serbia, as well as the names of commanders like General Krafft von Delmensingen, Prince Heinrich, Ritter von Epp, Freiherr von Kress, Exzellenz von Schoch, bear witness to this. After the founding of the Reichswehr he took over the 19th Bavarian Infantry Regiment; attached to this regiment until his retirement on the 20 April 1935. The foremost marches of this period Georg dedicated to various superiors. Here one can hear such examples as the "Generalleutenant Ritter von Leeb-Marsch", der "Oberstleutnant Kriebel-Marsch", der "Oberstleutnant Wäger-Marsch” and many more. On 5.2.1936, Georg Fürst died of an intestine-illness.
[According to F. K. Prieberg, Fürst retired on 30 April. I. Ž.]

ansata1976

Post by ansata1976 » 20 May 2009, 17:07

Marches by Georg Fürst:

Albert-Marsch
Am Tagliamento – Marsch [auch Urlaubsgrüsse]
An der Piave – Marsch [auch Mit leichtem Gepäck]
An der Putna [auch Unter Südlicher Sonne]
ASC-Marsch
Badonviller-Marsch (1914)
Batinesti-Marsch [auch Mit Frohem Mut]
Bayrischzeller Ski-Club-Marsch
Eherne Wehr
1. Kompanie-Marsch
Einzugsmarsch
Épehy-Marsch
Erinnerung an Siebenbürgen
Excellenz von Schoch – Marsch
Fahnen-Marsch
FC Bayern-Marsch
Fest-Ouverture zum 100-jährigen Jubiläum des Inf.-Leib-Rgts.
Fleury-Marsch
Gen. Frhr. von Kress-Marsch
Gen. Krafft v. Delmensingen-Marsch
Gen. Ritter v. Epp-Marsch
Gen. v. Ruith-Marsch
Generalleutnant Ritter von Leeb-Marsch
Gipfelstürmer [auch Alpenkorps]
Graf v. Zech-Marsch
Großherzog Ernst Ludwig von Hessen-Marsch
Gruß an Bamberg
Gruß an München
Gruß an Straubing
Heil Dir Bavaria
Inama-Marsch
In den Dolomiten – Marsch
Isonzo-Marsch [auch Schneidige Schützen]
Jägerblut Gebirgsjäger Marsch
Kemmel-Marsch
König Ludwig III.-Marsch
Kopf Hoch!
Die Leiber im Weltkrieg – Potpourri
Das Leibregiment in Serbien
Maria Theresia – Gavotte
Markomannen-Marsch
Max Josef Ritter Marsch
Die Militärmusikfreunde
Muncelul-Marsch
Oberst Adam-Marsch
Oberst Graf-Marsch
Oberst Heinecker-Marsch (1907)
Oberst Kübler-Marsch
Oberst Nagelsbach-Marsch
Oberst von Pechmann-Marsch
Oberst-Prager-Marsch [auch Fahrt ins Blaue]
Odobesti-Marsch
Oberstleutnant Kriebel-Marsch
Oberstleutnant von Löffelholz-Marsch
Oberstleutnant Wäger-Marsch
Parole Heimat
Prinz Eugen-Marsch
Prinz-Heinrich-Marsch [auch Ehrenwache]
Die Residenzwache
Ritter-von-Schoch-Marsch [auch Deutsche Heimat]
Roter-Turm-Pass-Marsch
Saarburger Marsch [auch Sturm auf Saarburg]
Schönes Bayernland
Siegerehrung
Soldatenlieder – Marsch
Soldatenlust – Marsch
Die tapferen Bayern
Trauermarsch
Unter Bayerns Rautenbanner – Fanfarenmarsch
Vimy-Marsch
Wittelsbacher-Marsch
Wittelsbacher Fanfare – Fanfarenmarsch
19er-Marsch

GAFuerst

Post by GAFuerst » 16 Dec 2009, 23:31

OMM Georg Fuerst (1870-1936) was my grand uncle, a younger brother of my grandfather, Prof. Heinrich Fuerst (1861-1944).
In one of the postings on this forum Georg Fuerst is shown allegedly congratulating Adolf Hitler on his 46th birthday.
I believe that this picture was actually taken as a farewell gesture when my grand uncle left the service officially on April 30, 1935. On that occassion, Hitler had given him an autographed photograph of himself as a gift. This picture (as shown on the forum) had been widely misconstrued and misidentified. It should also be noted that the Badonviller March was composed in 1914 as a tribute to Bavarian troops fighting and managing to win victory, however with heavy losses. My grand uncle, a member of the Reichswehr under the Weimar Republic, conceived of this march while sitting by the roadside near the Badonviller battle field, while postal vehicles, which had been converted for ambulance use, were passing by with the wounded soldiers. The hunking of the "ambulance" horns gave him the idea for the initial trumpet signals which begin the march. This must be stated categorically. The march became very popular and when the Weimar Republic yielded to the Third Reich, Hitler adopted this march as his favorite march quite a few years later. Hitler also ordered the marche's original name to be changed from Badonviller to Badenweiler. The point is that Badonviller and Badenweiler are two distinctly different communities in two different locations, one French, and the other German! There is a small town by the name of Badenweiler in the Black Forest, and that has led to much confusion! Additionally, as a result of Hitler's action, this music is still suffering from an association which had nothing to do with National Socialim in its beginning. Georg Fuerst died in 1936. His music for the most part was from the era of W.W. I, and it should not be discredited or disqualified from being performed, simply because of one marche's association with a later regime. Georg Fuerst had no direct bearing or personal influence over Hitler's choice.
Signed: Gerhard A. Fuerst ([email protected])
edited to protect your privacy / Bernd R, Moderator

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Post by Ivan Ž. » 18 Dec 2009, 02:22

Hello, Mr Fuerst
GAFuerst wrote:In one of the postings on this forum Georg Fuerst is shown allegedly congratulating Adolf Hitler on his 46th birthday.
I believe that this picture was actually taken as a farewell gesture when my grand uncle left the service officially on April 30, 1935.
I posted the photo in question here. The source is Ullstein Bild. You can find it at their website under the number 00041085, caption: "Hitlers 46. Geburtstag. Obermusikmeister Georg Fürst (links), der Komponist des Badenweiler Marsches, gratuliert Adolf Hitler."
00041085.jpg
00041085.jpg (58.56 KiB) Viewed 7028 times
[File updated in Aug. 2020.]

Don't worry, it is very well known that Georg Fürst's compositions were mainly connected to WWI. And the photo showing him with the leader of his country on his birthday (in 1935, when Hitler was widely known simply as a successful politician) is nothing bad or strange.

Best wishes,
Ivan

Auceps

Post by Auceps » 21 Dec 2009, 17:32

GAFuerst wrote:The point is that Badonviller and Badenweiler are two distinctly different communities in two different locations, one French, and the other German! There is a small town by the name of Badenweiler in the Black Forest, and that has led to much confusion!
Greetings, Herr Fuerst! :)

Hmm, excuse me, but Hitler didn't change so much by changing the name from "Badonviller-Marsch" to "Badenweiler". "Badonviller" is a French name of this village, while "Badenweiler" is its German name (like Breslau and Wrocław).

I think, Hilter just didn't want some m-m-m...."frenchism" in the name of his favorite march, so he ordered to change the name. Anyway, your grand uncle composed many other good marches, not only Badenweiler.

Btw., maybe I'm not right and telling stupid things, but, according to banners (of this march) logic, we should also ban all German sheperd dogs (because Hitler loved them as well), theatrical play "Days of Turbin's" (because another dictator Stalin loved that play) etc. I completely agree with Ivan - there is nothing bad or strange when the head of the state estimates your musical composition.

Fallersleben

Re:

Post by Fallersleben » 04 Jun 2015, 11:24

From https://beeldbankwo2.nl/
28099.jpg
Georg Fuerst, composer of Hitler's march, died. Wellknown for many military brass music compositions Georg Fuerst became famous when Adolf Hitler picked his 'Badenweiler Marsch'as introduction for all his personal apprances. He died Febr. 6. 36., aged sixty-six at Munich. George Fuerst composed the music which is known in Germany now as der Führer's march immediately after the battle of Badonvillers.

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 04 Jun 2015, 11:45

Thanks, F., I missed this one at the Beeldbank WO2 :D

Cheers,
Ivan

Auceps

Re:

Post by Auceps » 05 Jun 2015, 00:04

Me too, I haven't seen it before! :) Thank you, Fallersleben!

Oberhessin

Re:

Post by Oberhessin » 06 Jun 2015, 22:23

And here is a picture from his burial
GFfuneral.jpg
GFfuneral.jpg (196.94 KiB) Viewed 6921 times
Source: Völkischer Beobachter

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 07 Jun 2015, 14:12

Oberhessin wrote:And here is a picture from his burial, from Völkischer Beobachter
Thank you for posting, nice find :)

Cheers,
Ivan

Oberhessin

Re:

Post by Oberhessin » 07 Jun 2015, 19:38

Give me some days then I will the whole article.

Fallersleben

Re:

Post by Fallersleben » 11 Apr 2016, 22:28

GF.jpg
GF.jpg (71.78 KiB) Viewed 9948 times
Source: https://www.myheritage.de/album-1900001 ... perPage=50

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re:

Post by Ivan Ž. » 11 Apr 2016, 22:45

Another nice find, F. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
Ivan

Fallersleben

Re:

Post by Fallersleben » 30 Oct 2016, 14:57

DRI1.JPG
DRI1.JPG (53.84 KiB) Viewed 7023 times
Source: Deutsche Radio-Illustrierte Nr. 23, 1935

Ivan Ž.
Host - Music section

Re: Georg Fürst (1870-1936)

Post by Ivan Ž. » 30 Jul 2020, 18:43

The retiring Obermusikmeister (on the right) posing below Hitler's picture with his divisional commander, General Wilhelm Adam, 27 April 1935. Photos by Heinz Valérien.
DE-1992-FS-NS-01525.jpg
DE-1992-FS-NS-01526.jpg
Source: https://stadtarchiv.muenchen.de/

Return to “Music of the Reich”