Hitler's study

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 27 Aug 2007, 22:05

ihoyos wrote:The globe with the russian soldiers, match with the globe in postcards. but it is differenr to the globe exposed in musseum.
the main difference is i in the wood ring around the " ecuator line". In the original globe this ring is flat in the upper side.
In the globe in the musseum this rong show curvature in the edge.
I just came across another photograph showing Hitler's globe from the study which is on display in the Zeughaus. It looks like the same globe as the one in the b/w photographs. :)

If you look clearly you can even see a bullet hole.

Kind regards.

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 27 Aug 2007, 22:09

This is the globe for sure.

Thanks...

Johnny R.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 28 Aug 2007, 03:44

Are those pictures of "The Great Dictator" Charlie Chaplin in the bottom of the case? :wink:
Rob

ihoyos

Post by ihoyos » 28 Aug 2007, 16:16

I think the globe in display is the globe used in Charles Chaplim film, no the original globe in Berlin.
( what a coincidence the hole bullet is on Germany)
look the diferences
Attachments
globus20hitlersf4.jpg
globus20hitlersf4.jpg (62.7 KiB) Viewed 2484 times
10y4fi0qq2.jpg
10y4fi0qq2.jpg (23.59 KiB) Viewed 2485 times

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 28 Aug 2007, 16:56

The problem with that theory, is that the globe that Chaplin is using in the movie appears to be made of a lighter and thinner material....although the photos in the Berlin globe case do look like scenes from the Chaplin movie...
Rob

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 28 Aug 2007, 17:00

What ever happened to the Berghof "Great Room" globe?

Johnny R.

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 28 Aug 2007, 17:05

Dear ihoyos ~

I appreciate you are trying to be helpful but please see here for further confirmation.

The DHM does not display movie props. :roll:

From Hitler’s globe to Berlin’s wall

By Jean-Louis de La Vaissiere

BERLIN: Roman artifacts, a bullet-pierced globe from Hitler’s office, chunks of the Berlin Wall—all part of a sprawling permanent exhibition that attempts to explain what it has meant over the last 2,000 years to be German.

Guests enter the exhibition through a Roman gate and trace the tumultuous path of the nation’s history from the bitter battles fought by the Germanic tribes through to the euphoria of German reunification in 1990.

The new show puts German history’s darkest chapter front and center, with a ground-floor exhibit that includes Nazi uniforms, Hitler’s desk, a bomb shelter, letters sent from concentration camps, Albert Speer’s design for the gargantuan Germania Hall and a chilling model of the Auschwitz death camp.

Hitler’s globe with its fitting symbolism is expected to be a major attraction. A Russian soldier who had just taken the capital in 1945 took aim at Berlin on the giant sphere, leaving a gaping hole on the map where the German Reich had been.

The globe was the inspiration for the legendary dance scene in Charlie Chaplin’s 1940 Hitler satire “The Great Dictator.”
http://www.manilatimes.net/national/200 ... 6opi8.html

and
Bold New Exhibit Aims to Define German Identity

BERLIN — Long periods of horror and catastrophe, interspersed with moments of light—that's how Hans Ottomeyer summarizes German history. Ottomeyer, the director of Berlin's German Historical Museum has spent the past six years pulling together the disparate strands that make up that often painful past into an ambitious new permanent exhibit that traces the evolution of the German people from the time of Christ to the present day.

Entitled "German History in Images and Testimonials from Two Millennia", the collection is made up of 8,000 historical objects—from battlefield relics to landmark documents and works of art—displayed over two floors of the former Prussian armory building, the Zeughaus, in central Berlin.

A highlight from the early 19th century is a triangular hat that Prussian Field Marshal Gebhard Leberecht von Bluecher captured from Napoleon as the defeated French emperor fled the battlefield at Waterloo. Another is the globe that sat in Adolf Hitler's Reichs Chancellery and was famously transformed into a balloon by Charlie Chaplin in his 1939 film The Great Dictator.

On the section of the giant orb where Germany lies, the lacquer has been blasted apart by a bullet -- probably the work of a Soviet army officer. The projectile is still lodged in the globe, which lay hidden for years in a Munich customs office. Other objects include a model of the mammoth "Germania" dome that Nazi architect Albert Speer was commissioned to build for Hitler next to the Brandenburg Gate. A Trabant P 50/2, the boxy East German-made car, and an anti-Berlin Wall brochure from 1961 allude to the country's four decades of division. Many of the items came from the collection of the East German government's Museum for German History, which was itself housed in the Zeughaus between 1952 and 1990. Dedicated to conveying a Marxist-Leninist view of history, its assets were brought under the wing of the German Historical Museum around the time of reunification.
http://en.epochtimes.com/news/6-6-9/42454.html

You will see that one of the Soviet soldiers deliberately shot the globe in a symbolic act to mark the end of Hitler's reich. This explains why the bullet hole is right in the middle of Germany.

The pedestal is different. My guess is that the original woodwork was damaged in 1945 or sometime in the following years and therefore had to be replaced with a new axis. As we see above, the Soviets didn't exactly treat the globe with care. :wink:

Regarding Charlie Chaplin's "The Great Dictator" - the famous movie scene was inspired by Hitler's giant globe. I'm sure this is why it is referenced in the DHM exhibit.

I hope both these articles will help put an end to all the speculation once and for all about the desk and globe being reproductions.

Kind regards.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 28 Aug 2007, 17:24

Potsdamerplatz wrote:Regarding Charlie Chaplin's "The Great Dictator" - the famous movie scene was inspired by Hitler's giant globe. I'm sure this is why it is referenced in the DHM exhibit.
Potsdamerplatz,
That sounds plausible...thanks for the clarification! :)
Rob

Von Odine

Post by Von Odine » 28 Aug 2007, 18:30

ghostsoldier wrote:...the globe that Chaplin is using in the movie appears to be made of a lighter and thinner material...
It was "lighter and thinner"... it was a balloon!! And, prophetically, it blows up in his face. Chaplin's set designers did a great job capturing the "spirit" of the NRC even though the details are all wrong.

Wotan2

Post by Wotan2 » 29 Aug 2007, 22:01

Thank you very much for shring; whre to buy :D

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 29 Aug 2007, 22:15

Johnnyrocket wrote:What ever happened to the Berghof "Great Room" globe?

Johnny R.
I image the SS of the berghof burned it with all the Berghof the firsts days of may 1945.

I´m sorry but I see the images of the Chaplin film and I think is degenerated art, scum. sorry I`m not want to be rude but is the feeling that I have. (Yes I know this opinion sound a nazi, sorry again). :oops:

Johnnyrocket

What happened to all the Berghof loot after 1945?

Post by Johnnyrocket » 29 Aug 2007, 22:31

Thanks Helly,

I bet the globe is down in the town of Berchtesgaden somewhere. The towns people of Berchtesgaden basically looted the Berghof for about 2 days before the American troops could arrive and secure the mountain. I believe the SS had "beat-feet" from what my sources tell me.

Johnny R.
Attachments
Ber Ger.jpg
Towns people looting/stripping the Berghof 1945.
Ber Ger.jpg (15.96 KiB) Viewed 2370 times

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 29 Aug 2007, 22:37

I can almost hear them singing now...."Hi-Ho! Hi-Ho! It's off with the Fuhrer's stuff we go!" :lol:
Rob

Johnnyrocket

Post by Johnnyrocket » 29 Aug 2007, 22:45

I've heard from various friends who travel to Germany to purchase items each year on buying trips, that a person would not believe what fantastic items are in the hands of private owners in Berchtesgaden. I'm sure the Globe is there too. I guess his skull (the Russians have) would be the prize of all prizes....maybe the Blood Flag...there was a great thread on one forum that discussed the whereabouts of that flag....very interesting indeed!

Johnny R.

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 30 Aug 2007, 01:16

Dear fellow researchers ~

It seems that many of these globes were produced for Hitler's Chancellery and other government buildings. The one on display in the DHM (Zeughaus) actually came from the ruins of the Reich Foreign Ministry on Wilhelmstrasse, not Hitler's study as we previously believed (although the designs are almost identical).

Here is an e-mail I received from Dr. Burkhard Asmuss of the DHM. Obviously I have removed my name and e-mail details as I don't want to be bothered by spammers. :wink:
Dear Mr. ****,

I hope the following descriptions of the globe will help you.
Kind regards,
Burkhard Asmuss

Der "Columbus-Großglobus für Staats- und Wirtschaftsführer" war der größte in Serie hergestellte Erdglobus. Zwei Exemplare standen in der Neuen Reichskanzlei, jeweils einer im "Braunen Haus" der NSDAP in München sowie in Hitlers "Berghof" auf dem Obersalzberg. Für den Ausbau des Palais des Auswärtigen Amtes in der Wilhelmstraße wurde der hier ausgestellte Globus im Stil der übrigen Möblierung des "Herrenwohnzimmers" gestaltet. Er weist im Bereich Nordeuropas ein Einschussloch und Spuren von Schlägen mit einem stumpfen Gegenstand auf.

The "Great Columbus Globe for State and Industry, Leaders" was the largest globe to be produced in, series. Two of them were in the New Chancellery of the, Reich, one each in the "Brown House" of the NSDAP, in Munich and in Hitler's chalet "Berghof" on the, Obersalzberg. The globe displayed here was made, in the style of the other furnishings of the "Men's, Living Room" for the interior design of the Foreign, Office on Wilhelmstrasse. A bullet has been shot, through the area of northern Europe and the globe has, signs of blows that were made with a blunt object

Dr. Burkhard Asmuss
Deutsches Historisches Museum
Unter den Linden 2
10117 Berlin
030/20304-330
http:\\www.dhm.de

>>> Wolfgang Roehrig 29.08.2007 08:41:41 >>>

>>> <potsdamerplatz_berlin@*******.com> 28.08.2007 16:35:44 >>>

Dear Sirs ~

Could you please confirm if the globe displayed in the DHM (Zeughaus) is the one from Hitler's study in the Reichskanzlei, or is it the globe used in the movie "The Great Dictator" starring Charlie Chaplin?

We are having a discussion on one of the military history forums about the
origins of the globe displayed in your musum.

Kind regards,

David B

--
Deutsches Historisches Museum-GmbH
Sitz: Berlin
HRB 27366
AG Charlottenburg
The DHM already confirmed in an earlier e-mail that the desk on display was indeed Hitler's and came from the Reichskanzlei.

Kind regards.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”