Leutnant Walther Schnieber from Mt. Matajur

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Klemen L.

Leutnant Walther Schnieber from Mt. Matajur

Post by Klemen L. » 25 Aug 2007, 13:34

Leutnant Walther Schnieber from the 4th Company of the 1st Battalion of the 63rd Lower Silesian Infantry Regiment was on 27th October 1917 awarded Imperial Germany's highest decoration for bravery - the Pour le Mérite - for his actions on Mt. Matajur on 25th October 1917.

I was wondering if anyone has any biographical information about him, particularly his photograph, place and date of birth, previous decorations and place and date of death. It was my understanding that he was killed in action in September 1918 in France.

Klemen

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 26 Aug 2007, 10:17

Walther Schnieber (Source: http://gmic.co.uk/ )

1917,Schnieber storms Monte Matajur:

According to Kenneth Macksey he was on the wrong summit though:
For the capture of Mrzli a Pour le Mérite was given to a Bavarian Lieutenant, Ferdinand Schörner, while the same coveted decoration was received by a Silesian Lieutenant named Walther Schneider who had actually captured another peak altogether. Rommel's indignation would take years to assuage. The record of his protests includes what amounted to a demand that he should receive the Pour le Mérite as his just reward, plus a determined (and, eventually, successful) campaign after the war to persuade the Official Historian to amend the record by crediting him with the lion's share of the praise.
Rommel : Battles and Campaigns,1979

Killed in action in France 3rd September 1918 according to Glenn.

Klemen L.

Post by Klemen L. » 26 Aug 2007, 15:47

Thanks Peter for the photograph! By the way from which book is taken the painting of Schnieber's attack on Mt. Matajur?

I was able to find another photo of him, so it is only far that I share it with you. Look below.
According to Kenneth Macksey he was on the wrong summit though
URL: http://rapidshare.com/files/51394545/matajur.rar.html

:wink:
Killed in action in France 3rd September 1918 according to Glenn.
Yep... Glenn was (is) right.

Leutnant Walther Schnieber was killed in action on 3rd September 1918 at Cambrai (France).

I have totally misread last night his name on the list of fallen officers of IR 63 (Oppeln). :oops:
Attachments
schnieber.jpg
schnieber.jpg (21.93 KiB) Viewed 1868 times

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 28 Aug 2007, 07:01

Hi Klemen

Painting is from Der Krieg in Wort und Bild.

I can see the resemblance now with Schnieber holding a rifle above his head thanks to the photo you posted.

Regards
Peter

Return to “Imperial Germany”