Who is this fellow?

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Dieter Zinke, askropp and Frech.
User avatar
Marcus
Member
Posts: 33963
Joined: 08 Mar 2002 22:35
Location: Europe

Who is this fellow?

Post by Marcus » 27 Dec 2002 22:53

Can anyone help me identify this fellow? The only information I have is that he may be an Admiral.

Thanks.

/Marcus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Elwyn W
Member
Posts: 3797
Joined: 11 Nov 2002 04:33
Location: New York

Post by Elwyn W » 27 Dec 2002 23:37

Hi Marcus,

Looks like Hitler's Kriegsmarine adjutant Konte Admiral Karl Jesko von Puttkamer.

thanks
Freiherr

User avatar
Marcus
Member
Posts: 33963
Joined: 08 Mar 2002 22:35
Location: Europe

Post by Marcus » 28 Dec 2002 19:06

Thanks, yes, that definately looks like Puttkamer. now that you mention it.

/Marcus

User avatar
Jeremy Dixon
Financial supporter
Posts: 3427
Joined: 06 Oct 2002 12:19
Location: England

Karl-Jesko von Puttkamer

Post by Jeremy Dixon » 28 Dec 2002 22:29

The photo is of Karl-Jesko Von Puttkamer 100% sure. (1900-1981) He was Hitlers Naval adjutant from March 1935 to June 1938, and from Sept 1939 to May 1945. Apparently he is credited with persuading Hitler to cancel the planned invasion of Britain using barges. In 1970 & 1971 he recorded his recollections onseven very lenghty tapes. He died on 14 March 1981.

He was badly wounded on 20 July 1944 at Rastenburg.

Hernan Schneider
Banned
Posts: 86
Joined: 08 Oct 2002 03:41
Location: argentina

putkammer

Post by Hernan Schneider » 30 Dec 2002 02:14

in efect he is karl jesko von puttkammer and where you obtained this photograph? because I never could obtain anyone in the www. thanks

User avatar
Matt Gibbs
Member
Posts: 2978
Joined: 23 Mar 2002 00:46
Location: United Kingdom

Source

Post by Matt Gibbs » 30 Dec 2002 13:08

Looks very like the photo included in the Walter Frentz archive and published by Arndt in their book Hitlers Berghof. Please note it would be a VERY good idea to add the source on photos posted here because the Frentz archive vigourously persues individuals with litigation who use their images without permission or credit...

Regards

Matt Gibbs

User avatar
Gareth Collins
Member
Posts: 1491
Joined: 17 Oct 2002 18:38

Post by Gareth Collins » 30 Dec 2002 14:44

Well if he didn't know who it was in the pic, it's likely that he didn't know where the original (if that be the case) was from this archive you speak of. I think he can sleep easily tonight.

Hernan Schneider
Banned
Posts: 86
Joined: 08 Oct 2002 03:41
Location: argentina

photos

Post by Hernan Schneider » 31 Dec 2002 02:28

plase if you have got any example with this quality and if it is an example of walter frentz the best , please send a copy by this page web
thanks .
this photos are more important and must to be free thanks
reinhardtristan@hotmail.com

User avatar
Elwyn W
Member
Posts: 3797
Joined: 11 Nov 2002 04:33
Location: New York

Post by Elwyn W » 31 Dec 2002 04:53

Hear, hear. Well said, Gareth. So what do you what to do? Have a glass of bordeaux premiere grand cru classe by the fire and stare at an electronic picture of Puttkamer and not want to share? It's not exactly Picasso.

thanks
Frieherr

User avatar
Elwyn W
Member
Posts: 3797
Joined: 11 Nov 2002 04:33
Location: New York

Post by Elwyn W » 31 Dec 2002 04:53

Hear, hear. Well said, Gareth. So what do you what to do? Have a glass of bordeaux premiere grand cru classe by the fire and stare at an electronic picture of Puttkamer and not want to share? It's not exactly Picasso.

thanks
Frieherr

User avatar
HerrGeneral
Member
Posts: 90
Joined: 16 Apr 2004 09:11
Location: Europe

Re: Source

Post by HerrGeneral » 17 Apr 2004 12:19

Matt Gibbs wrote:Looks very like the photo included in the Walter Frentz archive and published by Arndt in their book Hitlers Berghof. Please note it would be a VERY good idea to add the source on photos posted here because the Frentz archive vigourously persues individuals with litigation who use their images without permission or credit...

Regards

Matt Gibbs



Well, posting these pictures on a history related web board is not problematic, since because of their extreme historical importance they fall under into “fair use” laws.

Max Williams
Member
Posts: 10386
Joined: 04 Feb 2003 16:57
Location: London

Re: Source

Post by Max Williams » 17 Apr 2004 16:11

HerrGeneral wrote:
Matt Gibbs wrote:Looks very like the photo included in the Walter Frentz archive and published by Arndt in their book Hitlers Berghof. Please note it would be a VERY good idea to add the source on photos posted here because the Frentz archive vigourously persues individuals with litigation who use their images without permission or credit...

Regards

Matt Gibbs



Well, posting these pictures on a history related web board is not problematic, since because of their extreme historical importance they fall under into “fair use” laws.


This is not true. Walter Frentz photos are owned by his son who still also owns the negatives and therefore the copyright. I know for a fact that Herr Frentz will take legal action for misuse or use without permission of his father's photographs. He works for a very large media and photo archive company who back him. These particular photos were taken privately by his father at the Führerhauptquartier and were never part of the public domain. They were and still are owned by the Frentz family and publication of them without prior permission is contrary to copyright ownership, which in this case, is still valid.
Max

User avatar
HerrGeneral
Member
Posts: 90
Joined: 16 Apr 2004 09:11
Location: Europe

Re: Source

Post by HerrGeneral » 17 Apr 2004 16:45

Max History wrote:
HerrGeneral wrote:
Matt Gibbs wrote:Looks very like the photo included in the Walter Frentz archive and published by Arndt in their book Hitlers Berghof. Please note it would be a VERY good idea to add the source on photos posted here because the Frentz archive vigourously persues individuals with litigation who use their images without permission or credit...

Regards

Matt Gibbs



Well, posting these pictures on a history related web board is not problematic, since because of their extreme historical importance they fall under into “fair use” laws.


This is not true. Walter Frentz photos are owned by his son who still also owns the negatives and therefore the copyright. I know for a fact that Herr Frentz will take legal action for misuse or use without permission of his father's photographs. He works for a very large media and photo archive company who back him. These particular photos were taken privately by his father at the Führerhauptquartier and were never part of the public domain. They were and still are owned by the Frentz family and publication of them without prior permission is contrary to copyright ownership, which in this case, is still valid.
Max



You don't understand the legal cocept of "fair use", fair use does imply that the material is copyrighted, now publishing it in a book, or any other kind of commercial use, is an anoter matter.

Here's a few links on the subject.

http://www.cetus.org/fairindex.html

http://www.copyright.iupui.edu/

http://www.umuc.edu/library/copy.html

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/


What is illegal is when the user atomicmisfit labels some of the Frentz work as a “part of his own collection” and even puts his logo on it.

Like in this thread…
viewtopic.php?t=36659&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

I’ve also seen a few other users doing the same thing with the Frentz items, as well as offering to sell them, all of that is illegal.

Like say Waland66 and his little website where he not just labeling the Frentz photos with his own logo, but is even offering to sell them.

However just putting the picture on here, an educational historical web board, and acknowledging full Frentz copyrights, and no others, can appropriately be considered fair use, since the image itself is an important historical document.

Max Williams
Member
Posts: 10386
Joined: 04 Feb 2003 16:57
Location: London

Post by Max Williams » 17 Apr 2004 20:53

Then why was Mr Frentz successful in a legal action against somebody doing just what you say is legal?
Max

User avatar
HerrGeneral
Member
Posts: 90
Joined: 16 Apr 2004 09:11
Location: Europe

Post by HerrGeneral » 18 Apr 2004 10:48

Max History wrote:Then why was Mr Frentz successful in a legal action against somebody doing just what you say is legal?
Max



He sued someone over posting a few of his father’s pictures on a web board?

Well, what really matters is the intended use, and with “fair use” it primarily is educational, now those pictures had to abuse that in one way or another.

Return to “Axis Biographical Research”