Who makes the best Jackboots?

Discussions on all aspects of WW1, WW2 and Inter-War Era reenactment.
scharfRudi

Re: Who makes the best Jackboots?

Post by scharfRudi » 12 Jan 2010, 09:01

I bought a pair recently and found they were much better (I also had a pair of the previous run - Arrghh 8O ).

I am a standard US9 (Aussie 8 1/2)

While first impressions found them a little loose overall, a 3km walk showed no real problems. Two pair of German repro socks gave a snug fit, one pair of aussie army socks a looser but not abrasive fit.

I feel they are OK as entry level boots - particularly for the money, I use mine as a second pair.

I found the overall look of them quite accurate.
Patrick Urquhart
(Scharfuhrer Rudi Loeffler)

"It is better to have more lightning in the hand and less thunder in the mouth"

Panzerbusche

Post by Panzerbusche » 14 Jan 2010, 23:16

http://www.ostfront.com/Merchant2/merch ... e=Specials

For $50 more than a new pair of LB boots you can get a pair of REAL german made boots, unissued and perfect details all the way :D Are there anybody out there crazy enough to use originals in the field? Guess they would be great for anyone who need a pair to measure and copy :wink:

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 15 Jan 2010, 05:59

originals can be used if they're already a beat up pair, and it's recommended that the sole is changed and any loose stitchwork mended, but using something in like-new/unissued condition is insanity, but then again such originals have qualities that no manufacturer of repros have captured as of yet, which brings a few authenticity-nuts/eccentrics to abuse these relics.
but eventually this stuff will go to dust anyway, so if no blue-prints can be found for manufacturers, then they will still have to use surviving examples for reverse engineering.
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

GD,grenedier

Post by GD,grenedier » 15 Jan 2010, 11:35

scharfRudi wrote:I bought a pair recently and found they were much better (I also had a pair of the previous run - Arrghh 8O ).

I am a standard US9 (Aussie 8 1/2)

While first impressions found them a little loose overall, a 3km walk showed no real problems. Two pair of German repro socks gave a snug fit, one pair of aussie army socks a looser but not abrasive fit.

I feel they are OK as entry level boots - particularly for the money, I use mine as a second pair.

I found the overall look of them quite accurate.
So they've corrected the "cankle problem!,outstanding!,any pictures?,inquiring mind want to know :lol: :lol:

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 17 Jan 2010, 08:19

yes please i am also very eager to see the new run atf jackboots since the site specifically mentioned that they have corrected the ankle/calf issue. this could solve the cut issue for those who can't afford highend boots. theoretically all one would need to do is replace the entire sole either by means of local cobbler (or wear them out before it comes to this), or send them to svec kotney who does professional sole replacement work (wood pegging, metal parts).
I live the war in my head and I am the walking dead when i'm alive. Everyone's a critic, but they live their lives in their heads and they are dead just like me, so i say let them 'live' until they die by me dead walking over them.

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 20 Jan 2010, 22:28

oh the hell with it, i have just ordered a pair of the ATF (new run/summer 09) jackboots. I am expecting the leather quality and sole quality to be the same as the last run (once i've worn out the sole i'll just rubberize it and call it my walking-out pair/or as rollins states on his site for "ss ninja impressions"), except with a more precise ankle and calf cut. Once i recieve them i'll show some detailed photos highlighting the 'corrections' perhaps before i've blackened them or after...

Sudamerika

Post by Sudamerika » 21 Jan 2010, 02:16

I bought a pair in 2002. Had a cobler add a couple of hobails, a few small nails at the bottom of the half soles and have never had any problems. They have been sturdy and comfy since.

cruff

Post by cruff » 21 Jan 2010, 19:06

I just ordered a pair of the new At The Front Jack Boots a week ago. I started to break them in while doing yard work and other chores around the house. The boots look good, they have the right shape and the heels and soles appear to be sturdy. In order to break them in, I put on thin socks then filled the boots up with hot water from the tap. I plunged my feet into the watery boots and just sloshed around till they dried. The leather moves to accomodate your foot, it will stretch and draw up where it needs to. This method works quite well.

Schriv

Post by Schriv » 21 Jan 2010, 20:28

I've had a set of the ATF jackboots for a little over a year and they have held up well. My only problem is they are feaking huge on my feet. I've got a cushioned workboot insole AND a 3/8" wool-felt insole in them just to take up some space, and still have to wear thick wool socks to take up the slack in the heel. If they have fixed the dimensional problems, I will probably buy a new pair and keep the originals for strictly winter events.

corporal george

Post by corporal george » 23 Jan 2010, 15:05

can anyone post good pictures of the last batch of the ATF jack boots, the ones with the smaller ankles/bootshafts?

grts George

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 24 Jan 2010, 07:24

these are the new-batch of ATF jackboots. from first glance you can see that the ankle has been made smaller; however the calf has not changed greatly, which may be because of these boots being slightly shorter(half an inch) than the old huge-ankle batch of atf jackboots. the top and lowers leather used is similar if not the same type except i have noticed a little bit more thickness on the shaft leather albeit of the same quality/source of the previous run. The soles look narrower as well when compared to the previous run making the hobnails have a more compacted pattern. stitching appears the same. the cut of the lowers/heel looks to have been altered in order to accommodate the smaller ankle. pull tabs are also black this time. There are also size markings on the inside shafts, and on the fullsole, which was not true of the old batch. I'm not sure if ATF or Sturm ordered the correction on the jackboots since i have seen sturm jackboots (same cut/source as ATF) with what appeared as smaller ankles/longer footing size before the summer of 09 when ATF supposedly got this new corrected-batch of jackboots.

I haven't tested these out yet for wear/tear since I just finished blackening them with ATF's Fiebing dye/balm kit and will snowseal them, so i'll update that info. on the second set of photos i show a comparison with an old batch jackboots, and the boots being worn in all pics are the new ones.
Attachments
DSCatfjacks1.jpg
DSCatfjacks1.jpg (194.97 KiB) Viewed 11838 times

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 24 Jan 2010, 07:26

continued...
Attachments
DSCatfjacks2.jpg
DSCatfjacks2.jpg (197.75 KiB) Viewed 11838 times

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 24 Jan 2010, 07:28

continued...
Attachments
DSCatfjacks3.jpg
DSCatfjacks3.jpg (125.68 KiB) Viewed 11838 times

m1steelpot

Post by m1steelpot » 24 Jan 2010, 19:27

TOTVERBAND wrote:these are the new-batch of ATF jackboots. from first glance you can see that the ankle has been made smaller; however the calf has not changed greatly, which may be because of these boots being slightly shorter(half an inch) than the old huge-ankle batch of atf jackboots. the top and lowers leather used is similar if not the same type except i have noticed a little bit more thickness on the shaft leather albeit of the same quality/source of the previous run. The soles look narrower as well when compared to the previous run making the hobnails have a more compacted pattern. stitching appears the same. the cut of the lowers/heel looks to have been altered in order to accommodate the smaller ankle. pull tabs are also black this time. There are also size markings on the inside shafts, and on the fullsole, which was not true of the old batch. I'm not sure if ATF or Sturm ordered the correction on the jackboots since i have seen sturm jackboots (same cut/source as ATF) with what appeared as smaller ankles/longer footing size before the summer of 09 when ATF supposedly got this new corrected-batch of jackboots.

I haven't tested these out yet for wear/tear since I just finished blackening them with ATF's Fiebing dye/balm kit and will snowseal them, so i'll update that info. on the second set of photos i show a comparison with an old batch jackboots, and the boots being worn in all pics are the new ones.
My question is, would you recommend these boots? I already have the "best of the best" lowboots (HG Berger, with 'M42/3' lowboots by Grigsby), and I'm looking for decent jacks.
Take it easy~, ゆっくりしていってね!!!

TOTVERBAND

Post by TOTVERBAND » 25 Jan 2010, 03:59

i was careful with my wording in order to not recommend something i haven't seen much feedback/conflicting feedback or tested out yet. the main complaints with the old batch were the oversized ankle/calf cut and the fast wearing-out of the soles/shottiness of hobnails. in terms of cut and quality of leather materials with exception to sole/hobnails the boots qualify as decent, but until i actually test the durability (won't presume atf fixed the sole issue) i cannot give a total recommendation. so if you need jackboots right this instant you're gambling with $185, but if you do find the soles/hobs to fail early on like the last batch at least you can salvage the boots by replacing the entire sole at the local cobblers/svec's sole restoration service.

Return to “Reenactment”