The Most Collectible Model Kits!!!

Discussions on historical model building of all eras.
TISO

Re: The Most Collectible Model Kits!!!

Post by TISO » 08 May 2013, 01:01

Try getting a X-otic 72 (formerly known as Aviation USK) Dornier Do-22 or Savoia Marchetti SM.84 these days. I was pretty lucky i got Do-22 for less than 60 USD (prices ussualy go over 100 USD) and i haven't seen SM.84 on Ebay in years. Also good luck finding ICM TB-3 for less than 100 USD

jednastka

Post by jednastka » 10 May 2013, 18:14

As a serious collector, eBay prices have gone through the roof in the last year or so. I am looking for a few specific kits to round out my collection at a price that I am willing to pay, and it is taking forever!!

To the original question. As a kid, I had the US Atomic Cannon kit in 1:35 scale by ADAMS. I have seen mint-in-box ones go for over $500.

Less rich, but just as rare, are the 1:48 scale AURORA tanks. They had some 20 tanks in the series, and I had most of them. Kits now regularly go in excess of $100.

durb

Post by durb » 28 Nov 2014, 15:15

Maybe not at the top of list, I think that Heller´s 1:/72 model on Bf 109 B/C (back from the 1970/1980´s) is worth considering. Not least because it is the only available on the subject (Bf 109 B) which is recommendable for less experienced modelers. I´m just a novice modeler, but I found this Heller kit nice to make. The other 1/72 kits on early Bf 109 are short-run and suitable only for well experienced people.

Also even if you want just to collect a box item without putting the kit together the Heller Bf 109 B is worth of considering - to my knowledge it is the first pioneering kit 1/72 made on Bf 109 B.

The Heller box has also some nice artwork and box texts in many languages (even in Finnish).

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 09 Feb 2015, 03:25

Regarding ship kits there are a few:

Aurora Atlantis
Any 1/400 Japanese cruiser from Tamiya or the Nichimo 1/400 Yamato and Musashi
The 1/72 Tupolev G5 MTB
You can see a few here:
https://mitosmilitaria.wordpress.com/

uhu

Post by uhu » 13 Feb 2015, 03:46

Never be in a rush to get that kit ASAP. If you see lots of the kit you're looking for online and the price is going down it means either of two things. The kit is being reissued, or a brand new kit of that model is planned. And as for the SM84, would you really build it now? Years ago I gave my all building the vacuform BV-222, He-115, Bf-108, all for nought but they still stand up next to the injected molded kits of the same.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 13 Apr 2015, 12:06

Something from my collection too. It is a Tupolev 20 and an Ilyushin 28. The Tupolev exceeds 30 cm !!! Were bought from a newspaper stand (!!!) about 30 years ago. Completely unknown brand (no info on box) and unknown scale. I think they are Russian made but with German guides (!!!). I bet that this should be a couple of the rarest you have ever seen judging from the other proposals in list which are coming from known factories (Tamiya etc.). Frankly I have no idea who and how imported these in Greece. :thumbsup:
You are also invited to visit my site for my models and downloads at https://sites.google.com/site/scalemodelsconides/home.

uhu

Post by uhu » 27 Apr 2015, 21:44

I Believe those are old East German VEB kits.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » 27 Apr 2015, 22:20

Now that you mention it, I did not consider old East Germany. But still I am not sure about the maker. I never heard of VEB myself so I believe you if you have seen these before. Thanks for the update! The interesting part also is that for such an origin, the kits are very well done in relation to other more popular brands (older times though).

Just to add more, I checked the internet and found the site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VEB_Plasticart where they describe VEB (though they changed names many times) models and it is true that they produced these particular models. Practically, if wikipedia is right they produced only 40 model kits in total. The kits I have in photos are at 1/100 scale.

Also at http://www.veb-plasticart.com/ they seem still alive and kicking. Thanks UHU for creating interest to search these :thumbsup:

SpicyJuan

Post by SpicyJuan » 03 Jul 2015, 16:33

I have an Entec 1:100 Ju 87B Stuka and an old 1:72 Airfix He 177, are they worth anything?

TISO

Post by TISO » 02 Aug 2015, 22:59

AHHHH old VEB Plasticart kits a strong smell of nostalgia. The first kit i "destroyed" all by myself at tender age of 10 was their Jak-40 (before that with help of my father was their Il-62) and their two aluminium tubes that came with the kit (one with cement and one with silver colour) that were ecological dissaster in small packs (unforgettible smell too - that is how nostalgia smells to me). You could get them on most newspaper stands in the early 80's (together with old KP kits) at least in the part of old YU where i'm from. Still have one of their unassembled kits (An-14). AFAIK Revell did reissue some of their kits (Junkers F.13, Junkers G.24 and Il-4) in early 90's but recently only F.13 got reissued. Junkers F.13 was their kit but was not issued by VEB before Revell bought the mould.

BTW their 1/72 An-14 Pčelka was worth a mall fortune on territories of former YU especcialy when few photos of one and only plane that flew in YU surfaced (small serbian company Lifht-Here produces decals for this bird). It was bought by Slovenian company Hidromontaža and flown for them by aeroclub Maribor as small personell transport when hydro powerplant Djerdap was being built on Danube. It crashed in 67 with no survivors. Pilot's brother was killed on the same day when entire group of F-84's hit a hill in foul weather.

hansDelbrook

Re:

Post by hansDelbrook » 07 Jul 2016, 19:40

Bill Medland wrote:A "collectible model kit" list would have to include the Hasegawa Mörser Karl on railway carrier and the Leopold railgun, both in 1:72.
These kits reach Germany in ones and twos in German model shops about twice a year. I have several friends in Germany that are always on the lookout for them.
Altough I am not really a fan of 1:72 scale or Hasegawa, they look cool on my World War Two Model Railroad! 8)
I just wish the rail guns were available in 1:35! Then I could build a Garden railroad, well we can dream :D
Regards,Bill.
Actually, a company called Soar Art makes a 1/35 scale Dora! They are pricey, but it is exactly what you are looking for:) They seem somewhat rare though. More than likely retailers are hesitant to stock them due to their cost as well as their size... They are HUGE!
https://merit-direct.com/index.php?dest ... od_id=5067

Christoffer

Post by Christoffer » 27 Jul 2016, 07:13

Amazing kits, building kits is fun though.

biercemountain

Post by biercemountain » 18 Apr 2017, 12:53

One of my friends has the Revell "Combat Team Set" that contains a Sherman Tank, a Jeep, some sort of tracked prime mover, a 155mm Long Tom, and a bunch of figures. He says it was a special repackage of existing kits to make a sort of mega Christmas gift offering. In a collection that contains an original Atomic Canon (as well countless other kits) it's pretty much his prized possession.

Military models aside, the crazy money is in car models. Kits like the 1/8 McLaren M23 and Lotus 72 command insane money. Following close behind is the Bandai 1/12 Indy Turbine. 20 years ago I saw a half built one in a ragged box sell for $250. That's for a kit that wasn't successful when originally offered and put on closeout.

Paul

EPOCH3

Post by EPOCH3 » 08 Mar 2020, 22:57

Here is one you probably haven't heard of …..or forgotten about: The IMAI Elephant 1/16th scale (from the 1970s). It had metal tracks and wheels etc.
Btw - these sell for $3,000 to $4,000 + if you are lucky enough to find them.

TISO

Post by TISO » 03 May 2020, 00:47

Heh just for the heck of it i searched for MPM KI-21 Sally in 1/72 (i built one 10 or years ago) almost had a heart attack they go for 200+€

Return to “Model building”