On the night of 7 December 1942, in a solemn ceremony, the ashes of the Japanese war dead encased in white wooden boxes were brought to the foot of the long flight of steps leading to Syonan Chureito and ceremoniously carried up the torch-lit steps for interment inside a small shrine located at the top. The guest of honour was General Homma Masaharu of Philippines fame. The Japanese memorial was a 12 metres tall wooden mast capped with a brass cone. The words "chu rei to" was inscribed on its side which meant "the sacrifice made by the fallen soldiers". A plain, stout, wooden fence surrounded the memorial. The Allies' memorial was unveiled on the same day by one of the POW camp commanders with a speech thanking the Japanese Army.Military and Japanese officials would regularly worship the Japanese Emperor and the deified spirits of their fallen comrades at Syonan Chureito and Syonan Jinja.
http://www.spi.com.sg/spi_files/shinto_ ... _batok.htm
After the Japanese victory, General Tomoyuki Yamashita, the Commander in Chief of the Japanese armed forces, ordered the construction of a memorial to the Japanese soldiers who died in the battle for Singapore.
Bukit Batok, a four hundred foot high hill opposite Bukit Timah was chosen as the site for the monument. This was the very area where the fiercest fighting in Singapore took place resulting in many deaths for both the Japanese and Allied forces. Nearby is the Ford Motor Company factory where General Arthur Percival signed the unconditional surrender of Singapore on 15 February 1942.
Five hundred Australian prisoners of war encamped at Sime Road and Adam Park were marched back and forth each day between the job site and the camp and worked tirelessly until the job was completed. A bitumen surfaced road was first built leading up to the hill, followed by the construction of a parking lot and concrete steps. Finally the simple but dignified memorial and Shinto shrine were erected.
The memorial rose from two tiers of earth and cement on which stood a forty foot high wooden pylon capped with a brass cone. A plain, stout, wooden fence surrounded the memorial, and a short distance towards the back a simple cross was erected as a memorial to the Allied forces soldiers who died during the battle for Singapore.
The idea of building a monument for the British dead was first suggested by a Japanese commander, Colonel Yasuji Tamura who convinced General Yamashita to build the monument for humane reasons. General Yamashita agreed at a later stage to include the cross as a monument for the allied soldiers.
The allied soldiers received the monument with a mixed reaction. On one hand, they were pleased to have a place for the ashes of their fellow allied soldiers. However the allied soldiers felt resentment and those working in the area used to drop a matchbox of white ants at the base of the monument.
Today, nothing remains of the memorial or the shrine except for these 125 concrete steps and an access road now renamed Lorong Sesuai. On the site of the monument now stands a television transmitting mast.
The following units of the Royal Australian Artillery Regiments were responsible for the construction of the memorial:
Artillery - 2/10 Field Regiment 2/15 Field Regiment 4th Anti Tank Regiment
Infantry - 2/26 Battalion AASC
Japanese Engineering Company.