Australian Army captain killed in France in Sep 44

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Tom from Cornwall

Australian Army captain killed in France in Sep 44

Postby Tom from Cornwall » 05 Feb 2008 20:58

Has anyone got any information about this Australian Army captain who was killed in France in Sep 1944:

Capt E.G.A. Bisset, M.I.D., Croix de Guerre. – 191597
General List
Son of Alfred Carnegie Bisset and of Renee Bisset (nee Lacroix); husband of Winifred Bisset, of Cottesloe, Western Australia.
Buried: Vichy Communal Cemetery

Tx in advance,

Tom

Peter H

Postby Peter H » 06 Feb 2008 02:51

Tom

He is neither on the Australian Nominal Roll nor the Roll of Honour for those that died.This suggests that Edward George Alfred Bisset of the SOE was in British service.

Codename: Adjacent,killed Mision Tilleul.

http://www.specialforcesroh.com/browse. ... ardid=4021

/Peter

Tom from Cornwall

Postby Tom from Cornwall » 07 Feb 2008 21:35

Peter,

Thanks for the link - on looking back at the CWGC website, I guess General List must mean of the British Army. Seems like he was the son of an Australian man with a French wife (judging by the names). I will continue to research as it seems he is a bit of a forgotten agent.
Regards

Tom

JULIARUSH

Re: Australian Army captain killed in France in Sep 44

Postby JULIARUSH » 18 Jan 2009 19:56

Hi Tom
I am his granddaughter and just came across your question. I can give you much more information if you want to contact me on my email and need it still. juliarush@gmail.com

cheers, Julia Rush (he was my mother's father)...

TrevorB

Re: Australian Army captain killed in France in Sep 44

Postby TrevorB » 13 May 2009 06:23

Just in case you haven't learnt this yet:
Edward George Alfred Bissett's record is held in the SOE records at Kew. The file reference is HS 9/158/2.
He was an arms and explosive expert who took part in the mission code named TILLEUL.
For this successful Allied mission he was dropped in by parachute by an American "Carpetbaggers" Op. (Choper and Driscoll's mission 931 and 934) on the night of 7/8 July at Chadebac near Bonneford in the Correze. Successful mission.
TILLEUL comprised of 7 men:
Jacques Vaillant de Guelis (MANOMETRE)
Cdt Thomas (MINIMUM)
Royal Army Medical Corps surgeon Major Ian Mackenzie (THERMOMETRE)
Sabotage expert Cpt Edward Bisset (ADJACENT)
Drop Zone expert Andre Simon (DIASTIQUE)
Radio Sgt James Edgar (CRETOIS)
Radio Seaman Lannou (TOSCAN)
I haven't yet found out what the objective of the mission was, nor how they were "exfiltrated" (Perhaps the "PAT line"?). This might help:
"The CIVETTE mission, mounted by the London Gaullist organisation Bureau Central de Renseignements et Action et Londres (BCRAL), can be looked at in detail in HS 6/368. Documents BERGAMOTTE, VERVEINE and TILLEUL concentrate on important allied missions to Maquis groups,....."

It looks to me as if he was wounded on the mission and died subsequently.

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”