Australian Army captain killed in France in Sep 44

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Tom from Cornwall

Australian Army captain killed in France in Sep 44

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 05 Feb 2008, 21:58

Has anyone got any information about this Australian Army captain who was killed in France in Sep 1944:

Capt E.G.A. Bisset, M.I.D., Croix de Guerre. – 191597
General List
Son of Alfred Carnegie Bisset and of Renee Bisset (nee Lacroix); husband of Winifred Bisset, of Cottesloe, Western Australia.
Buried: Vichy Communal Cemetery

Tx in advance,

Tom

Peter H

Post by Peter H » 06 Feb 2008, 03:51

Tom

He is neither on the Australian Nominal Roll nor the Roll of Honour for those that died.This suggests that Edward George Alfred Bisset of the SOE was in British service.

Codename: Adjacent,killed Mision Tilleul.

http://www.specialforcesroh.com/browse. ... ardid=4021

/Peter

Tom from Cornwall

Post by Tom from Cornwall » 07 Feb 2008, 22:35

Peter,

Thanks for the link - on looking back at the CWGC website, I guess General List must mean of the British Army. Seems like he was the son of an Australian man with a French wife (judging by the names). I will continue to research as it seems he is a bit of a forgotten agent.
Regards

Tom

JULIARUSH

Re: Australian Army captain killed in France in Sep 44

Post by JULIARUSH » 18 Jan 2009, 20:56

Hi Tom
I am his granddaughter and just came across your question. I can give you much more information if you want to contact me on my email and need it still. [email protected]

cheers, Julia Rush (he was my mother's father)...

TrevorB

Post by TrevorB » 13 May 2009, 07:23

Just in case you haven't learnt this yet:
Edward George Alfred Bissett's record is held in the SOE records at Kew. The file reference is HS 9/158/2.
He was an arms and explosive expert who took part in the mission code named TILLEUL.
For this successful Allied mission he was dropped in by parachute by an American "Carpetbaggers" Op. (Choper and Driscoll's mission 931 and 934) on the night of 7/8 July at Chadebac near Bonneford in the Correze. Successful mission.
TILLEUL comprised of 7 men:
Jacques Vaillant de Guelis (MANOMETRE)
Cdt Thomas (MINIMUM)
Royal Army Medical Corps surgeon Major Ian Mackenzie (THERMOMETRE)
Sabotage expert Cpt Edward Bisset (ADJACENT)
Drop Zone expert Andre Simon (DIASTIQUE)
Radio Sgt James Edgar (CRETOIS)
Radio Seaman Lannou (TOSCAN)
I haven't yet found out what the objective of the mission was, nor how they were "exfiltrated" (Perhaps the "PAT line"?). This might help:
"The CIVETTE mission, mounted by the London Gaullist organisation Bureau Central de Renseignements et Action et Londres (BCRAL), can be looked at in detail in HS 6/368. Documents BERGAMOTTE, VERVEINE and TILLEUL concentrate on important allied missions to Maquis groups,....."

It looks to me as if he was wounded on the mission and died subsequently.

PhilForestier

Post by PhilForestier » 14 Dec 2023, 00:13

Hi,

I am Philippe from Vichy in France. I went to the grave of Captain Bisset in Vichy in the town where I live and I became interested in the life of this man who now rests near my home and so far from home.
I will be grateful if you have information about the life of this man, what happened to his loved ones and honor his memory. THANKS.

Loïc

Post by Loïc » 14 Dec 2023, 01:56

Far from home his compatriot Nancy Wake also somewhere near Montluçon where she wished to be scattered her ashes

Edward BISSET agent du SOE (Special Operations Executive).
De passage à Vichy lors de la nuit du 23 au 24 septembre 1944, il est tué accidentellement par son arme à feu, devant l’hôtel des Ambassadeurs, alors qu’il s’apprête à regagner Paris.
CaptBisset.jpg

PhilForestier

Post by PhilForestier » 16 Dec 2023, 09:34

Thx Loic for your reply.
I am glad to know more about him. I hope to find members of his family, find out who they are and tell them that here near this grave, we still honor the memory of this man.

PhilForestier

Post by PhilForestier » 16 Dec 2023, 09:35

Thx for sharing about Nancy Wake, who was she ?

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”