Last days of 11. SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Nordland"

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Regiment Norge

Re: Last days of 11. SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Nordland"

Post by Regiment Norge » 17 Aug 2009, 08:16

alex5 wrote:perhaps he was signing my father's soldbuch in absence of another officer,as his signature occurs on 28/10 /44,at a location Hoke60,4 (wherever that might be) just prior to moving to Siiwertsi,and after leaving Tannenberg flst. The date says 11/3/? 44 but it appears to be written out of sequence.
Hi!

It must says "Höhe 60,4" in Kurland - hill 60,4. Look at maps in the Brig. Nederland files and it may be found there.

Regards

alex5

Post by alex5 » 18 Aug 2009, 02:44

Thanks Richard for the extensive update. My father's last info posting was 11 june 45 on page 28 in his Soldbuch. I dont understand what it is about, but the page title begins with the letter B. auszufertigen durch...,.Now under the title explanation, is the date 6/11/45, fur(zeit) ourgust, bis november, RM 216, and what looks like a signature beneath that. Send me an email, and I will return it with the image, as I dont know how to post it here

DougP

Post by DougP » 09 Feb 2010, 22:29

My father was part of a group led by a Danish Major who successfully fought their way out of Berlin after the death of Hitler. The Dane decided that they would not be part of a last stand on the steps of the Reichstag and as it was a certainty that a bullet (if they were lucky) awaited when they eventually surrendered, they would be as well making a fight of it in the direction of the British and Americans. Several days later the rag-tag band gave themselves up to British troops (Highlanders I recall). He told of having to order an over-eager individual not to open fire at British planes! My research in Norway indicated that a number of others also escaped the destruction of the Division.

I note in Wikpedia that a number of SS men supposedly killed themselves in sort of honour to Hitler. I suspect that many of those who did so were combat troops like my Dad, who were already wounded and did not wish to have a tortured death at the hands of the Russians, particularly their women soldiers. That was a very real fear. Only when pressed very hard did my father give any sort of feedback regarding the breakout.

We have his belt (minus the swastika), Paybook and Dog-Tag together with his Paybook and two Wounded Certificates. All his insignia were left behind in the prison camp in North Germany when they were marched onto trains to Ostend at very short notice. He then found himself in a chain-gang in a quarry near Manchester. He was a member of the Signalling Unit.

I have met two former comrades in Germany who claim that he saved their lives. My Dad's response was that there just happened to be a Medic nearby with a dog-sleigh! One gentleman has written his memoirs up to his return to Germany on what must have been one of the last Hospital ships from Riga. It tells a very different story, very graphic. I have recently discovered that a Norwegian Group are very interested in feedback regarding my father.

My father joined the Norge on its inception (he was not quite 16 years of age) heading to the barracks in Nürnberg from a small village on the shores of the Baltic in what is now Poland. He was never back home on leave, returning to his home village only during what he termed as a "strategic withdrawal".

RICHARDGF

Post by RICHARDGF » 10 Feb 2010, 08:36

Hi DougP

I would like to look for more information on your fathers whereabouts at the end of the war. If you could provide me with more information name, scan of Soldbuch, etc. I can see what I've got.

best regards
Richard

DougP

Post by DougP » 11 Feb 2010, 10:35

Hi, next time I'm at my Mum's I'll dig out the various bits and pieces. Should be withing the next fortnight.

I spoke to my Mum last night and she commented that as the "band of brothers" as she put it, fought their way through Berlin, the Major wrote fresh "orders" giving them a pass through roving field police units. She said most of his nightmares after they married were from his time in Berlin. It grieved my father greatly that men (many little more than boys in many cases) who were the last remants of units were summarily executed by these zealots.

She recalls that my dad was incarcerated in a Prison Camp in the Fallingbostel area. My Dad's name was Hans Otto Pieper. Hope this is useful info.

Regards

Doug, Troon, Scotland

feldmariscal

Post by feldmariscal » 13 Aug 2011, 17:53

hello, you should read the book by Cornelius Ryan, "last battle"
I have understood that the Panzer-Grenadiers 11 "Nordland" stay with the few troops that were saved in the reserves alongside the group Steiner (northeast of Berlin) covering the southern flank of the Third Panzer Army. They came to the hills of Seelow of April 18 to support LVI. Panzerkorps, but arrived late, ran out of gas and the removal of Seelow was beginning. Entered Berlin with the rest of the general Panzerkorps Weidling April 23 at night.

feldmariscal

Post by feldmariscal » 13 Aug 2011, 23:46

Hi, I'm South American, a descendant of Danish. I am interested in everything related to the "Nordlad." Can you tell me please, that position had the division for the Battle of Seelow.
I read that did not participate because they arrived late to the battle

feldmariscal

Post by feldmariscal » 13 Aug 2011, 23:47

Hi, I'm South American, a descendant of Danish. I am interested in everything related to the "Nordlad." Can you tell me please, that position had the division for the Battle of Seelow.
I read that did not participate because they arrived late to the battle

feldmariscal

Post by feldmariscal » 13 Aug 2011, 23:55

DougP wrote:My father was part of a group led by a Danish Major who successfully fought their way out of Berlin after the death of Hitler. The Dane decided that they would not be part of a last stand on the steps of the Reichstag and as it was a certainty that a bullet (if they were lucky) awaited when they eventually surrendered, they would be as well making a fight of it in the direction of the British and Americans. Several days later the rag-tag band gave themselves up to British troops (Highlanders I recall). He told of having to order an over-eager individual not to open fire at British planes! My research in Norway indicated that a number of others also escaped the destruction of the Division.

I note in Wikpedia that a number of SS men supposedly killed themselves in sort of honour to Hitler. I suspect that many of those who did so were combat troops like my Dad, who were already wounded and did not wish to have a tortured death at the hands of the Russians, particularly their women soldiers. That was a very real fear. Only when pressed very hard did my father give any sort of feedback regarding the breakout.

We have his belt (minus the swastika), Paybook and Dog-Tag together with his Paybook and two Wounded Certificates. All his insignia were left behind in the prison camp in North Germany when they were marched onto trains to Ostend at very short notice. He then found himself in a chain-gang in a quarry near Manchester. He was a member of the Signalling Unit.

I have met two former comrades in Germany who claim that he saved their lives. My Dad's response was that there just happened to be a Medic nearby with a dog-sleigh! One gentleman has written his memoirs up to his return to Germany on what must have been one of the last Hospital ships from Riga. It tells a very different story, very graphic. I have recently discovered that a Norwegian Group are very interested in feedback regarding my father.

My father joined the Norge on its inception (he was not quite 16 years of age) heading to the barracks in Nürnberg from a small village on the shores of the Baltic in what is now Poland. He was never back home on leave, returning to his home village only during what he termed as a "strategic withdrawal".
Very interesting, your father still alive?. I wonder, because "Nordland" change of commander (Ziegler for Krukenberg)

Otto01

Post by Otto01 » 27 May 2012, 07:26

RICHARDGF wrote:Hi Alex5

Here are some excerts from my files on Nordland, tdelling the whereabouts of Rgt. 24/16. :

From the start of april 1945, the 16.kmp, was situated west of Schwedt on the east bank of the Oder, where the are establishuing defence positions.

At 03.30 am the 16. Kp. arrives in Garzau, east of Strausberg

In the afternoon heavy Russian artillery fire is laid over the Strausberg airfield, followed by attacks from both sides. A single 8,8 destroyes 3 T 34, and 16. Kp. together with the MG-Zug drives back the attack.
When Rgt. 24 reach Strausberg the southeastern part of the town is being shelled. In 2 Sturmgeschütze 24/16 is sent to Buckholz to see if the Russians are there, which they were, but they manage to destroy 2 russian tanks before they retreat.

Reg.24 is now at the Reichsbahn 1, south of Neuhagen, where 24/16 + the MG-Zug knocks back a Russian infantry attack.

In the rests og 16.kmp along with some HJ, take positions on the west side of Karlshorst Rennbahn

In the night 16.kmp. and MG-Zug is reinforced with navy personel, and is sent to Jungfernheide.

During their outbreak they meet “Pi-Walde” (SS-Ustuf. Henry-Valdemar Christensen 4,45 - ?) and others on their way via Spandau to Döberitz, until they reach Grabow, and leave the Russian sector. They continue on a truck to Luneburger Heide.

I don't think he was in Nordland in april 1945, if Kryssing signed his Soldbuch he must have been i Hungary/Austria with Wiking .

best regards
Richard
Do You know more about SS-Ustuf. Henry-Valdemar Christensen? Did he reach the Lüneburger Heide and get POW and did he survived the war?

Kind regards

Otto

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 01 Jun 2019, 04:44

what was the approximate strength of 11. SS-PGD just prior to the battle of Berlin and the handing over of leadership to Dr. Krukenberg?

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 04 Jun 2019, 08:41

According to a schematic OOB as of 7 April 1945 "Nordland" had 5 infantry battalions (3 with combat strength above 400 men, 2 - between 300 and 400), 1 weak pioneer battalion (combat strength between 100 and 200), 6 light and 5 heavy artillery batteries (attached to other units), 10 heavy anti-tank guns

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 04 Jun 2019, 13:37

Krukenberg's account has figures lower than that (IIRC around 1600, accounted for two weeks later from your date), his "Charlemagne" group reinforced this lot with 300 men, largely equipped with STG-44 rifles and panzerfausts. After he took over the division, he split it into three groups: 1. front line combat group 2. reserve group near his CP. 3. rest and refreshment group, which in extreme situations could be called upon.

Art
Forum Staff

Post by Art » 05 Jun 2019, 22:51

Soviet records also indicate that some remains of the 309 Infantry Division were incorporated into "Norland". From interrogation of POWs captured by the 1 Guards Tank Army on 23 April 45:
653 Infantry Regiment consists of 3 battalions, each battalion of 4 companies. Each company was 140-men strong. The regiment was committed to action in the region of Letschin and retreated with rearguard actions via Karlshorst to Berlin. In the region of Karlshorst on 22.4 remains of the regiment made up 140 men, the other regiments suffered similar casualties. In the region of Karlshorst remains of the 653 Infantry Regiment was incorporated into "Danmark" motorized infantry regiment of the "Nordland" division. Other regiments of the "Berlin" infantry division also operate with the SS "Nordland" division.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”