German WW2 war dead memorials

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
vartaz

Re: German WW2 war dead memorials

Post by vartaz » 26 Jul 2018, 10:24

Adam Carr wrote:
06 Apr 2008, 10:36
I understand this is supposed to be an apolitical forum, and that's fine. But if Geoff is allowed to express his opinion that the destruction of memorials to members of the SS is "infamous", then I am allowed to express my opinion that it is entirely justified. I have no objections to Germany commemorating its war dead, civilian and military, but the SS were a disgrace to Germany adn should not be commemorated.
Adam - you are a fool of a took

Not to discuss SS, but not all were criminals. Memomorial destruction are NEVER justified - its a part of the history which we all need to remember. Im with Geoff on this , its infamous to damage memorials, history should be preserved , hense the name - history forum

i will be posting pictures of the german ww2 memorial here in center jutland , denmark.

nammie44

Post by nammie44 » 15 Oct 2018, 17:07

I remember when President Reagan visited Bitburg Cemetery in Germany and was criticized for doing so. Waffen SS members were buried there.

The Elite Knight

Post by The Elite Knight » 05 Nov 2018, 07:33

Reichssammler wrote:
03 Apr 2008, 13:57
Hi Rob,
in germany we have "only" big graves for all the soldiers who died there, but no big memorials for german soldiers (only for russians and the others). But you can find many online memorials...
Of course it´s sad and the most germans would honour their own soldiers (because they do it in their private life too) who died but the politicians don´t want to honour wehrmachts soldiers (except all the soldiers and victims).
In my hometown there is a small memorial for the fallen soldiers in WW1 and WW2.

P.s. many memorials are destroyed by left wing -extremists here because they think there is no reason to remember the german soldiers...:(
That is really sad because the soldiers aren't the ones who decide who they are going to fight against. They aren't the ones who made the decision. They should be honored because of how brave they fought.

ManfredV

Post by ManfredV » 11 Nov 2018, 10:30

In Germany we have many dead memorials for german soldiers of WW II. You can find them in nearly every town and village. Most of them are in good shape and people, organisations and local authorities take care. Of course there some in problematic urban districts wich are in a worse shape.
We also have memorials for other victims and for all victims of Nazis and WW II. There are those for prisoners of war, bomb victims, KZ-victims, resistance etc.
I've never heard that "left-wing extremists" destroyed a wehrmacht soldier memorial but there are several memorials "for all or other" victims that were damaged by "right-wing extremists". F.e. in my home town Fürth a memorial for resistance men was attacked several times. In Pirmasens, where I live now, a QR-code memorial plaque at former synagogue was damaged.
Soldier memorials are often near churches. In Hinterweidenthal (South west palatinate) there are two memorials, one for soldiers of WW I and one for 1870/71 war at protestant church; WW II memorial is at village cemetery.
The way we remember in Germany is not to built large memorials and "glorify heroes".We mourn for the dead and victims of cruel violence.
"Den Toten zu Gedenken, den Lebenden zur Mahnung".
We don't have memorials especially for Waffen-SS-Men or units. Thats impossible. But killed Waffen-SS-members are mentioned on their local soldier memorials. Most memorials don't mention rank or unit, Wehrmacht or Waffen-SS. They say f.e. "Hans Müller, gef. 23.11.1943 im Osten" or "Franz Meier 5.8.44 in Frankreich".
Today many young people work in organisations like "Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge" who care for memorials and cemeteries.

Steve E

Post by Steve E » 27 Nov 2018, 08:51

ImageThanks to the efforts of the Verein für Ortsgeschichte Großschwabhausen (the local history society) a new war memorial to commemorate the fallen soldiers of WW2 from the village of Großschwabhausen in Thuringia was unveiled on the 18/11/2018.
Attachments
46482845_642825846132094_6416253447380664320_n.jpg

ManfredV

Post by ManfredV » 27 Nov 2018, 11:12

Thank You! It's a good example for "new style" of memorials. Dignified but not lofty or heroical.
Very well done by Verein für Ortsgeschichte.
Soon after WWII in soviet occupied zone many memorials were destroyed by soviet army and communists. In GDR it was not forbidden but disliked to take care for monuments or build new ones. So many memorials were in a bad shape.
In western zones and later FRG nazi monuments and nazi symbols at memorials were removed, but memorials were mantained and new ones erected for fallen soldiers of WWII. Parishes, local veterans and local authorities cared for them.

e.polis

Post by e.polis » 25 May 2019, 07:49

There is a memorial on the other side of the world, in Australia at the site of the former Murchison POW No 13 in Victoria, erected by the survivors of the German raider Kormoran which was sank in an engagement with HMAS Sydney in November 1941, built by the survivors it is still there when I visited 3 years ago, as soon as I can find a photo I will post it here.

The Australian government allowed it to remain after the war, unlike the one that was at No 16 POW Camp Marrinup in Western Australia that was pulled down in 1945 photo attached
Attachments
No 16 memorial.pdf
(207.55 KiB) Downloaded 179 times

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 25 May 2019, 08:36

2012 Kormoran monument photo.

Kormoran_Monument-13986-98322.jpg
Kormoran_Monument-13986-98322.jpg (93.78 KiB) Viewed 10032 times

e.polis

Post by e.polis » 25 May 2019, 09:57

Very good, beat me to it, just as I remember it

Leibstandarte_fi

Post by Leibstandarte_fi » 14 Jan 2020, 08:38

Badgastein /Ostmark:

Badgastein/Böckstein:

Leibstandarte_fi

Post by Leibstandarte_fi » 14 Jan 2020, 09:55

I don't know why... When I walked around BadGastein/Böckstein Soldatenfriedhof... I Wanted to take Photoes... But for some reason ... ( I had camera in my hand...) I just could not take any photoes from Bökckstein Soldatenfriedhof, that felt just WRONG!! No Problem walking around there...
I got a pic of memorial and the text in that...
Dunno!?

Leibstandarte_fi

Post by Leibstandarte_fi » 14 Jan 2020, 10:47

Finland, Vihti: My GrandUncle's name is in there...

I like the text:
Itsemme vuoksi taistohon noussehet emme!
Isänmaan tähden Katso Me Kamppailimme!

Short Translation:
We did not stand up and fight for ourselves, we did that for Faterland!!

As Finn, I know the point:
Extremly Short Translation: Blood and Soil!

Canet

Post by Canet » 14 Mar 2020, 14:57

German War Graves Commission takes care of German war graves. https://www.volksbund.de/en/volksbund.html

I have visited several times the Malame Graveyard in Crete. Very well maintained, peacefull place with great scenery. Cretans were not happy with German occupiers, but nobody seems to feel burning grudge anymore, as there is no signs of vandalism etc.

georgi23

Post by georgi23 » 08 May 2020, 08:14

ghostsoldier wrote:
03 Apr 2008, 17:50
Reichssammler wrote:P.s. many memorials are destroyed by left wing -extremists here because they think there is no reason to remember the german soldiers...:(
Nils,
That is indeed a shame, and a crime against the memory of the fallen soldiers. Having the "right" or "wrong" political dogma does not change the value of their service, or the price they paid for fighting for what they believed in....it's too bad the government of Germany, and the extremists, can't see this.
Rob

Yes. This is a crime. I eager to see the memorial of German fallen soldiers who took part in massacres in Ukraine. Baby yar .

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 08 May 2020, 12:52

Have just been watching the 75th. Anniversary ceremony in the Neue wache in Berlin and would think this place/building must be the "Central Memorial of the Federal Republic of Germany for the Victims of War and Dictatorship”.

Waleed

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”