German uniforms of WWI

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
valeriej

Re: German uniforms of WWI

Post by valeriej » 05 Aug 2011, 04:06

Uncle Frederick shoulder not mod 1.JPG
Uncle Frederick shoulder not mod 1.JPG (6.37 KiB) Viewed 7503 times
untitled.JPG
Hello trickcyclist My cousin sent this picture of the left shoulder and he also sketched what he could see of the belt buckel. He said he looked under a microscope and could not make out anything on the shoulder strap but the #7. So don't know if this is going to help or not. But thanks very much for trying.

Valerie ;-)

justpete

German Officer Old Photo or Dress Uniform

Post by justpete » 25 Sep 2011, 05:10

I have some old photos I believe are German perhaps WWI or earlier. Perhaps as early as 1900. They both appear to be of some type of officer. Both have swords. Here is the first of two. I scanned the front and back (I don't do well scanning and pictures). Any information would be helpful for a project.

This photo the man has an iron cross pin on his chest and some type of patches on his left cuff.

Printed info appears as follows but perhaps not accurate as I have trouble seeing.
Some of the letters have dots and other markings around letters. I have a U.S. English keyboard and don' t know how to add it. I believe this is in Germany. East or West, I don't know.

George Heyer
KONIGL. HOF - PHOTOGRAPH
OSNABRUCK

I can't make out the spelling of the writing to be able to do a search. I did try to a search on the photographer but can't read German.
Attachments
german1b.jpg
back side of photo
german1a.jpg
Front - German Officer with sword, iron cross, hat on table

justpete

Second Photo

Post by justpete » 25 Sep 2011, 06:15

Here is the Second of the photos. The name in Pencil that is hard to see on front appears to be "Robert von Frsendorf" I'm not sure about the "sen" in the last name but the other letters I'm more sure of as being right.
Attachments
german2a.jpg
german2b.jpg

shellym

Post by shellym » 14 Dec 2011, 13:23

With regard to the very first photo in this thread - Paul Ferdinand Hecht I am still trying to discover which regiment/division he belonged to.

In 1910 he married and was living in Spandau, a suburb of Berlin. Is it possible he was recruited there at the outbreak of the war? say perhaps with the III Army Corps which covered the Brandenburg Military District?

He was born in Ost Sternberg in a town called Koeltschen Kreis - it seems unlikely that he'd be recruited through there if he wasn't living there.

Any ideas or am I grasping at straws?

Glenn2438
Host - Austria-Hungary section

Post by Glenn2438 » 20 Dec 2011, 01:02

justpete,

thats Premier-Lieutenant Robert von Issendorf of the Hannoverian Garde-Regiment. He was killed at the battle of Langensalza on 27 June 1866.

Check out this site for a photograph of his gravestone.

http://www.denkmalprojekt.org/2009/bad_ ... _thuer.htm

Regards
Glenn

Ken S.

Re: German Officer Old Photo or Dress Uniform

Post by Ken S. » 22 Dec 2011, 20:54

It reads on the back:
General Stabsarzt
Dr. Fr. de Lacroix

lower front:
Großvater

In searching the State Archive of Lower Saxony's website there is a record of emigration that includes the following information:

1. Lacroix, Carl Franz Friedrich aus Osnabrück
2. 24.5.1835, Emden
3. Kaufmann
4. Lacroix, Friedrich, Dr. med. Oberwundarzt und
Caroline Wilhelmine geb. Behrens, Osnabrück
5. keine
6. ?
7. Amerika
8. 24.8.1854
9. ?
10. ?

Oberwundarzt, according to "A dictionary of the German terms used in medicine":

Oberwundarzt, vi., surgeon to a
prince ; surgeon inspector.

The photo was taken before 1900, possibly the 1870s. Not sure what the medal is.
justpete wrote:This photo the man has an iron cross pin on his chest and some type of patches on his left cuff.

Glenn2438

Post by Glenn2438 » 22 Dec 2011, 22:48

Johann Friedrich Lacroix is still listed in the 1863 Hannoverian Court and State Handbook as a retired Stabs-Arzt in Nienburg. His decoration is the Wilhelms-Kreuz (25 years long service award for officers). I would date the photograph not much later than this and probably before the dissolution of the Hannoverian Army in 1866.

Regards
Glenn

Glenn2438

Post by Glenn2438 » 23 Dec 2011, 10:00

I find him serving as a battalion medical officer (Assistenz-Wundarzt) in the rank of Ober-Wundarzt (21.11.33) in 1846 in the Hannoverian 7th Infantry Regiment. He was already then a recipient of the Wilhelms-Kreuz, so presumably entered the Hannoverian Army between some time after Waterloo and around 1820.

Regards
Glenn

llonannamal

Post by llonannamal » 18 Apr 2012, 20:32

Greetings Generalstab.
PLEASE would greatly appreciate any info regarding the three posted pictures. My research has led me to believe that the solo-pictured Gustav Noll (my great-great uncle) was a Sergeant Major, photo taken circa 1914. Also I believe there is something to be learned of his sword.
NollGustavDog_1914a.jpg

The second picture (smaller group in entirely different uniforms)
NollUnknown_c1900.jpg
has proven considerably more difficult to date and identify, as it appears the uniforms of this style did span a greater number of years. My best guess places me between 1890 and WWI feldgrau, I hope for more specific information, the earlier date would place a family member for whom we have no photographs. After converting color pics of similar uniforms to B&W, I wonder if these are the black collar dunkelblau of artillery, but I believe these men would be limited to Bavaria for lack of bombs on shoulder straps. Otherwise I suspect infantry. Not exactly sure of the significance of the Brandenburg cuffs, if any. The belt buckle in both pics (just the raised crown without a circular border/phrase), is one of which I have not been able to find any information or other pictures online.

The final pic is of my great grandfather Julius Noll, who I believe was a medic. There appear to be markings on his collar, would appreciate knowing what these mean.
NollJuliusArmy_c1919.jpg
Thank you for ANY information and clarification.
CL

Mad Zeppelin

Post by Mad Zeppelin » 20 Apr 2012, 18:57

The first man is a Feldwebel (company sergeant major), the big crown on the belt buckle together with the Brandnburg cuffs indicate a Hessian infantry regiment.

The second group is also Hessian, might be Infanterie-Regiment 117, garrisoned at Mainz, the colour of cuffs, shoulder straps and collar would be blue. The guy seated second from right wears a slightly diffrent uniform and has a number on his shoulder straps (may be from IR 168, another Hessian formation).

The third man is a Hessian Landsturm NCO, the collar number seems to be XVIII/20, that's the 20th Landsturm battalion raised in XVIII Army Corps district, from Darmstadt - Pfungstadt area.

llonannamal

Post by llonannamal » 24 Apr 2012, 15:18

Many thanks Mad Zeppelin for sharing your knowledge and noting such specific details! Hessian makes sense as they were born in Hertlingshausen Carlsberg and eventually lived in Worms.

therestishistory

Post by therestishistory » 27 Jul 2012, 13:25

hello, i am trying to do some detective work on a picture which has surfaced of my great grandfather

I assume from the helmet cover that he was in the 23rd infantry regiment (2nd upper silesian), which would make sense as that part of my family is from that part of Poland. Is there anything else we can tell from this picture? I am interested in the collar lace, but not sure what it signifies.

thanks

Correus

Post by Correus » 11 Aug 2012, 22:56

therestishistory wrote:hello, i am trying to do some detective work on a picture which has surfaced of my great grandfather

I assume from the helmet cover that he was in the 23rd infantry regiment (2nd upper silesian), which would make sense as that part of my family is from that part of Poland. Is there anything else we can tell from this picture? I am interested in the collar lace, but not sure what it signifies.

thanks
Hello - could you tell me his name?

Do you have any additional pictures?

I'm a member of the J.R. 23 re-enactment group who portray this regiment. I know some members that might be able to help.

shellym

Post by shellym » 04 Oct 2012, 04:04

Hello again,

With regard to Paul Hecht, WWI soldier, I have come by more information. This photo is a 'postcard' sent to his family around 4 Aug 1917. Another card shows the postal stamp from Emmerich an Rhein. There is a rubber stamp mark on it that says, in part, 1 (unreadable) Pionier Komp. 111. A.K Deutsche Feldpost 835. Apparently he received the Iron Cross for some deed during WWI. His date of birth was 1876 and at the time of WWI, he was living in Spandau, Berlin, Germany.
Can anyone add anymore information about his regiment/company? You have all been so helpful to date. Thanks again!
Attachments
Paul%20Ferdinand.jpg
Paul%20Ferdinand.jpg (28.09 KiB) Viewed 7092 times

desny

Post by desny » 27 Oct 2012, 21:37

[imgImage
Döberitz by desny12, on Flickr][/img]

The soldier I am interested in is bottom row on the right (with a pipe in his hand). The picture confirms that he was in the Landwehr in 1907, for a training period. Post stamp says "Döberitz Übungsplatz" on the backside. He was then 30 years old (born 10 July 1877).
What I would like to know:

1) Wikipedia says that Döberitz was used by the Garde for training at that time. Is this enough to confirm that he was indeed enrolled in a Garde Regiment when he was first drafted for his compulsory active military duty (around 1897)?

2) I think I could decypher his enlarged shoulder strap and it looks to me like Königin Augusta Garde Grenadier Regt No. 4 (thanks to Kaiser's Bunker). Am I right? And would the Landwehr soldiers keep/wear their original shoulder straps?

[imgImage
Capture02 by desny12, on Flickr][/img]

In summary, based on this picture alone, was this soldier a Königin Augusta Garde Grenadier Regt No. 4 during his active military duty and what else could be deducted or implied by this picture (such as rank)?

Thank you in advance. Kind regards.

Roland

Return to “Imperial Germany”