BBC Documentray Looking for German Arnhem Veterans

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
mjulier

BBC Documentray Looking for German Arnhem Veterans

Post by mjulier » 15 Jan 2003, 13:41

Dear all,

I am researching for a documentary to be broadcast on the BBC later this year.

The documentary is on the Victoria Cross, in particular focusing on the actions of Major Cain in the battle of Arnhem during WWII.

I am trying to build up an accurate picture as possible as to what Major Cain did over the 7-day period. I have spoken to many British Veterans but I am also keen to speak to German Veterans - particularly those from the 2nd SS Panzer Division.

I understand there is some reluctance for German Veterans to speak to the media. I would like to emphasise that I am purely trying to build an accurate account of Cain's actions and in no way is this documentary political, judgmental and we do not intend to fool, mislead or mishandle any information given.

If anyone can help me with any contact numbers or website addresses for any German Veteran Association. I would be very grateful.

I can be contacted via [email protected]

Many thanks, I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind regards
Michelle Julier
Researcher

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 15 Jan 2003, 17:26

Wow, a girl researching WW2 battle? So cool!! Perhaps you would be attracted to the Waffen SS?

To my knowledge, there is no 2nd SS Panzer Division during the Battle of Arnhem (Operation Market Garden) but there is 2nd SS Panzer Korps which consist of 9th SS Panzer Division "Frundsberg" and 10th SS Panzer Division "Hohenstaufen"...these 2 division recently escaped from the Falaise Gap in France were exhausted and running low on supplies but still managed to kick Monty's ass till the point that he had to said Market Garden is a 60 percent sucessful operation....

British paratroopers were praised by the Germans as one the toughest foes they ever fought while the British praised the SS for taking care of the british wounded according to Geneva Convention (so much for the murderers, evil soldiers of the Waffen SS to voltar and ISU-152)

Frundsberg Division were shipped out to the Eastern Front and they were finally trapped in the Kurland Pocket, Latvia by the Russians until the end of the war

By the way, can u post a pic of you in this forum? Coz in this forum, there are not more than a handfuls of females interested in WW2 history.

Timo

Post by Timo » 15 Jan 2003, 17:37

panzermahn wrote:Wow, a girl researching WW2 battle? So cool!! Perhaps you would be attracted to the Waffen SS?
(...)
By the way, can u post a pic of you in this forum? Coz in this forum, there are not more than a handfuls of females interested in WW2 history.
Panzermahn, could you please keep your hormones off this forum? :roll:

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 15 Jan 2003, 18:53

I agree with Timo, that is no way to welcome a new member.

/Marcus

mjulier

Post by mjulier » 15 Jan 2003, 19:01

Many thanks for your reply (including Timo and Marcus!)

The information you have given is very helpful. Can you suggest how I might be able to go about contacting any of these Veterans?

Kind regards
Michelle

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 16 Jan 2003, 12:21

i'm just joking...anyway..... :P

Timo

Post by Timo » 19 Jan 2003, 13:52

I've given Michelle some information off-forum about who to contact for her research. Unless she has something to add here I will close this thread.

I agree with Tolga that another endless discussion about warcrimes is bound to develop here, which obviously belongs in the "Holocaust & Warcrimes" section of these forums.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 19 Jan 2003, 14:01

Timo,

I've removed some posts adding nothing of value to the discussion, so let's give this thread one more chance.

/Marcus

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”