Inscription on refuge VT-line (V.Lk.)

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
karjala

Inscription on refuge VT-line (V.Lk.)

Post by karjala » 14 Dec 2008 20:55

two refuges vT-line (are located in Vammelsuu) are available иакие inscriptions: V.Lk. How it to translate?
The first refuge:
DSCF9500.jpg
DSCF9499.jpg
the Second refuge:
DSCF9550.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Janne

Re: Inscription on refuge VT-line (V.Lk.)

Post by Janne » 16 Dec 2008 07:39

"V" could be a Roman numeral and "Lk" could stand for "linnoituskomppania". The problem is that IIRC the fortification companies usually had large (three-digit?) numbers, there was AFAIK no 5th company in a fortification battalion and that the abbreviation used was "LinK". Anyway, the inscription is obviously quite unofficial (and I imagine strictly against the rules) and, given the location, I'd hazard a guess: "Vammelsuun linnoituskomppania".

(The abbreviation doesn't fit any of the private companies that were involved in building fortifications; besides, IIRC there was no such contract work on the VT-line.)

karjala

Post by karjala » 16 Dec 2008 22:47

Thanks interesting to the version. I not поринял in attention that that "V" can be the Roman figure...

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 16 Dec 2008 23:32

...or indicating the bunker strenght - V. Lk = 5th class (Lk - luokka - class) ???
I wonder what the roof thicknes of the V.Lk bunkers might be?

Regards, Juha

karjala

Post by karjala » 17 Dec 2008 02:05

Could you write a thickness of the walls and surfaces for different classes of protection? I unfortunately do not have such information ...

The thickness of the walls of 200 mm, covering laminate (200 mm concrete + stone to the solution). Capacity of about 20 people (two casemate)

Harri

Post by Harri » 17 Dec 2008 18:00

I agree with Juha: V (5.) class bunker it is. It is typical class for a rear line/area accommodation bunkers (for example for the personnel of fortification artillery). Usually these were located to areas which were not prone to direct artillery fire. In some cases these had very thick and wide additional roof protection but bunkers in very safe places virtually lacked all such or there is only a thin protective layer.

Bunkers classed as I to IV were so called "direct hit-withstanding". I class bunker is the hardest to destroy and intended to withstand continuous direct super heavy artillery (30,5 cm) and bomb hits (500 - 1000 kg). They could withstand 40,5 cm individual hits. All frontline weapons bunkers built after 1940 were of this class.

Because these heavy bunkers were very expensive early in 1942 two new lighter bunker classes were introduced (directive was given on 9.5.1942):

V class
- hit-withstanding weapons, observation, crew or other bunker made of either "ground", wood or concrete.
- can withstand individual light ammo hits up to 15 cm weapons depending on the bunker structure
- also field bunkers could belong to this class if their roof met the demands of this class

VI class
- splinter-proof
- protection from the shell splinters and rifle calibre fire

Fortification could combine of several parts classed in a different way (typical in bunkers partly or completely excavated in rock and in some special fortifications).

Janne

Post by Janne » 18 Dec 2008 07:32

I humbly accept that my guess wasn't even close. BTW aren't these sort of markings rather rare - I believe they certainly weren't the norm?

What was the point? (I suppose it could be of some use for the troops manning the fortification to know what level protection they had and in some impromptu situations the info could be unavailable to them otherwise.)

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”