'Paradise Keys' Iran-Iraq war?

Discussions on other historical eras.
varjag
In memoriam

'Paradise Keys' Iran-Iraq war?

Post by varjag » 10 Feb 2009, 13:04

Hundreds of sites refer to the 'Paradise Keys' - carried by Iranian children of the Basijii formations, used for mine clearing of the 'kamikaze' type. Supposedly 500 000 cheap plastic keys were imported from Taiwan by Ayatollah Khomeini. And hung around the necks of the doomed children as their 'ticket to Paradise' when they were blown up in the Iraqi minefields.
Can anyone post a picture of one of these keys? Prefferably of course, when strung around the neck of some condemned Iranian child?

in anticipation, Varjag

Mr Holmes

Re: 'Paradise Keys' Iran-Iraq war?

Post by Mr Holmes » 11 Feb 2009, 13:58

Hello Varjag,

From the outset, I'd like to state, I don't have the answer.

Do you know the actual word in Farsi (or other local dialect) for this key? A few years back I had read a book on the Iran-Iraq War. Mention was indeed made of the children clearing paths, but nothing of this special key. I don't remember the name of the book, unfortunately. I think I read it in the State Library.

Cheers

Nick

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 11 Feb 2009, 22:11

Thanks Nick, but no - I do not know the Farsi word for them. Probably there were several as they are mentioned under as disparate names as Paradies Keys, Basiji Keys to Heaven etc. Most of the info on them will be found if googling the 'Basiji', Khomeini & 500 000 Taiwan keys and similar themes., Rgds, Varjag

http://sgthook.com/2006/04/21/meet-the-persians/

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 12 Feb 2009, 08:23

Hello Varjag,

I include a link to a video from "Liveleak" entitled "Child Soldier during Iran and Iraq War"; from what I can see a journalist interviews one child-soldier during the Iran-Iraq War, there are two or three more children sitting to his right. I had massive problems playing this video under Linux and am not sure if the keys are visible -- I didn't see them visible, but then again it might be the resolution of the video, or their buttoned up shirts. However, some guy posted in the comments section the following:
my father was a doctor in iran-iraq battlefield,those [...] sent thousands of children betweeen 9-16 on minefields,they use to hang a plastic key on their neck telling them its the key to paradise gate.when my father spoke to them he realised these innocent pure children were brainwashed beyond redemption!![...]
Posted Aug-6-2008 by "molaomar" (R)
(I've deleted some offending parts from the comment)

Although how much you can believe commentary on all those sorts of sites is up to each person.

The video is located at:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a03_1217997327

I'm intrigued now, and have made it my personal mission to find evidence or lack thereof, too :D

Cheers

Nick

--edit--

Just realised the video is available on youtube as well.

varjag
In memoriam

Post by varjag » 12 Feb 2009, 12:20

Many thanks Mr Holmes for your post. Wonder what that verbose child was actually saying in his interview with - I assume Iraqi television(?) and whether he mentioned 'the keys'?
(I've deleted some offending parts from the comment)
????

Do you understand the boys words?
I'm intrigued now, and have made it my personal mission to find evidence or lack thereof, too
Yes, it is very intriguing that hundreds of witten accounts mention the keys - but the prolific internet seems totally devoid of even one picture of them..... :roll:

Rgds, Varjag

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 12 Feb 2009, 13:44

Hi Varjag,

I've included the youtube version, maybe it's a little clearer now? There does seem to be something white (ie. right in the beginning and at around 1:58 into the vid) at the base of the open shirt area, but this may just be a white t-shirt or something.

re the offending comment statement, I meant from the comments section a little further down from the video (you have to click the comments link for them to come up on LiveLeak). The guy who wrote what I quoted above started slagging off mullahs, I didn't want to include that sort of rhetoric in the quote (profanities etc).
but the prolific internet seems totally devoid of even one picture of them..... :roll:
Damned technology :D , you can find a million links which purport to an image of whatever subject, but there is usually nothing there once you actually go into it.

Cheers for now,

Nick

Mr Holmes

Post by Mr Holmes » 12 Feb 2009, 15:06

Hi Varjag,

This video, again from Youtube, states that the Recruits (= Basij) were issued the special plastic keys. They are shown being initiated, kissing the Koran and how they are distinguished by wearing a green bandanna.

However, and most frustratingly, they are not shown wearing the special keys, nor are they shown receiving them. One kid I saw looked like he was wearing a necklace (as in, only the chain - nothing more) but I did not jot down the time in the video -- it may not have been one at all, however. The video is I think from the History Channel.

Nick

Return to “Other eras”