the Nuremberg courtroom

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Mich

the Nuremberg courtroom

Post by Mich » 12 Feb 2003, 16:16

HI!

I am going to Nuremberg in april, and I want to vistit the Nuremberg courtroom, the room where the Nuremberg trials were hold, but I wanted to know if you can also visit the prison which is next to the courtroom.

I hope that someone can help me.

Thankx a lot.

greetings,

Michael.

war_dog2

Nuremberg visit

Post by war_dog2 » 12 Feb 2003, 21:17

Michael,

I do know that the court room 600 where the nuremberg trials were held is open to visitors, apparently it has changed a bit but still is recognisable. I am unsure however if the prison is open.

I have however found this picture of the main cellblock at nuremberg prison if you are interested.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project ... mages.html
Attachments
cells.jpg
cells.jpg (59.59 KiB) Viewed 1296 times

war_dog2

Sorry forgot to mention,

Post by war_dog2 » 12 Feb 2003, 21:22

Sorry I forgot to mention that I would reccomend this link:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project ... mages.html

To everybody it shows some good pictures of the trial Black and white photo's and colour, also for the more morbid people a picture of Goerings body after he killed himself with poison on the eve of his execution in 1946.
Thanks, Eddie.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 13 Feb 2003, 00:25

Those guards that stood outside like they do on that photo, are they there you make sure they don't commit suicide or something?

If so, how did Goering manage?

JLEES

Nuremberg

Post by JLEES » 13 Feb 2003, 01:26

Hello,
I was in Nuremberg last February and visited the actual courtroom. There is a tour of it on weekends only. During the week it is still an actual functioning courtroom. So make plans to see it on Saturday or Sunday. Meanwhile, if you’re in Nuremberg you can stay the Deutscher Hof Hotel. It’s located about three blocks from the main train station and next to the Nuremberg Opera House. This was the hotel Hitler stayed in during the Nuremberg Rallies. After the war they took the main guestroom and divided it into three smaller rooms. If you stay in room 3, 4, or 5, you’ll be in part of his hotel room. Room four will also give you a semi-balcony view. Annually during the Rallies Hitler would make a point of going to the opera the first night. While there you should also see the Zeppelin Field where Speer’s Rally stadium still stands and the Reich Congress Hall that has been turned into an anti-Nazi museum. The Zeppelin Field also has a small museum underneath. Also go into the old part of the city and see the square where Hitler stood the last day of the rally and viewed the final parade. Julius Stretcher’s racist newspaper publishing building is also in Nuremberg, it is now where the regular newspaper is published. There are also a number of other sites to see too. You should do some research first before going. I’d also view the film Triumph of the Will before going to get some ideas. I allotted three days to comfortably see everything while there. You’ll have a great time.
James

JLEES

The Prison

Post by JLEES » 13 Feb 2003, 01:28

I forgot to mention. The prison where the war criminals stayed and the execution area have been torn down. Only the courtroom still exists.
James

war_dog2

Another link

Post by war_dog2 » 13 Feb 2003, 12:21

Hi,

I thought it may have been the case that the prison/execution area had gone.

However Nuremberg still has oodles of history

try.
http://www.beemans.net/Nuremberg%20Guide.htm

Mich

Post by Mich » 13 Feb 2003, 15:39

Hi!

Thank you all very much for your help.
I am planning to be in Nuernberg for three days,
so that I can see everything.
I think it 's a shame that the prison doesn 't exists anymore.

Thanx again.

greetings,
Michael.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”