Where did the Italian and Russian SS divisions fight?

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
Dan E. Moe

Where did the Italian and Russian SS divisions fight?

Post by Dan E. Moe » 12 Feb 2003 18:45

Does anybody know where the Italian and Russian SS Divisions fought?

Dan

GLADIVM

Post by GLADIVM » 13 Feb 2003 06:08

The Italian 29 SS Division was mostly employed in the rear areas of the Italian front but at leat one unit the Battaglione Degli Oddi saw action on the southern front at Anzio against the americans and it seems acquitted themselves quite well as the insigna weared by the Italians which at the beginning were red with black runas were thereafter chaged to the standard pattern black ones .
I believe the Italian waffen SS were employed only in Italy but is possible that in autumn 43 the Battaglione Degli Oddi was employed in Yougoslavia in antipartisans duties as Degli Oddi and his men were members of a MVSN stationed in Yougoslavi and at 8 sept decided to join the germans .

At war end Italian SS were stationed at Mariano Comense , where was their Divisonal command , at Piacenza , in the valleys around Piacenza and were mostly murdered by partisans upon their surrender .
Surely they were stationed also in other locations but I do not have deinite infos .

Hope these infos can help

yours

GLADIVM

Dan E. Moe

Post by Dan E. Moe » 13 Feb 2003 11:54

Thanks! :) It was very interesting. But wasent it so that the SS Batallion Debica was the first Italian SS unit to get the honor of wearing standard SS collar tabs because of their bravery in combat?

Dan

GLADIVM

Post by GLADIVM » 14 Feb 2003 06:58

I am quite positive that all the Italians SS received the black tabs at the same time .
The history of italian waffen ss is still a bit unclear and many points are quite fuzzy but I am sure that it was Battalion Degli Oddi which saw service in Anzio and ditinguished itself for bravery ,some soldiers were allotted Iron Cross I & II class for bravery under fire .

Debica was another batallion , its name should come from the polish place were it was trained and arrived back in Italy later than the Degli Oddi and do not think they saw action at the southern front .
Debica was the batallion that at war's end stationed in Piacenza and around .
The Italian waffen ss were re-organized many times , in fact never reached full divisional strength and the batallions often changed officers and denomination therefore there is a certain confusion about which unti was where and when .
At war's end many soldiers were murdered and most of the ones who escaped preferred to keep silent about their war service under the germans , it was not exactly a popular thing in after war Italy .

Probably the history of the Italian waffen ss and the 29th SS division will never be fully reconstructed as most of the peoples who partecipated in the events are now dead and at my knowledge none of the veterans wrote his memoirs .

Yours

GLADIVM

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”