Lack of Cooperation between Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
merdiolu

Lack of Cooperation between Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine

Post by merdiolu » 22 Aug 2010 07:41

In several resources like Dönitz memoirs I read same factor again and again. These was no coordination or cooperation between Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe. Dönitz complains about this a lot. How serios setback was this for German Navy ? How did it cripple German Naval Operations ? Would U-Boats perform better in Atlantic or protected better if Luftwaffe allocated more aircraft and aircrew for Kriegsmarine ? Was it all to Göring's vanity , his wish to preserve his grip on his private army "Luftwaffe" ? ( He once said "Everything flies belongs to me" or something ? ) I also heard that Kriegsmarine was also quite reluctant to share naval equipment especially torpedos with Luftwaffe airgroups which was assigned to anti shipping operations. It seems that dislike between Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine was mutual.

Any thoughts ?

Vaeltaja

Re: Lack of Cooperation between Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine

Post by Vaeltaja » 22 Aug 2010 14:30

Don't forget the naval units of the Luftwaffe...

http://www.ww2.dk/articles/flot.htm

Dave Bender

Any thoughts ?

Post by Dave Bender » 22 Aug 2010 19:00

It's all about money. The Luftwaffe was not going to spend it's new equipment budget for the purchase of naval aircraft.

Admiral Raeder believed in battleships and heavy cruisers, finally receiving approval for construction of the Z Plan warships during January 1939. If the Z Plan funded maritime strike aircraft ILO H class battleships then the KM would have had a proper naval air fleet.

bf109 emil

Post by bf109 emil » 01 Sep 2010 22:35

The KM never had a separate naval arm as did other Navies in WW2...all airplanes and airforces fell under the control of the Luftwaffe and Heir Göring wasn't apt to share with his Navy friends

Polar bear

Post by Polar bear » 27 Sep 2010 08:48

hi
bf109 emil wrote:The KM never had a separate naval arm as did other Navies in WW2...all airplanes and airforces fell under the control of the Luftwaffe and Heir Göring wasn't apt to share with his Navy friends
add a small particle of time ...

Under an insisting influence by Raeder, Hitler allowed Dönitz to have "Operative Führung" (NATO today would call it OPERATIOL CONTROL or OPCON) of I/KG 40 from January 7, to February 28, 1941.

see http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/41-01.htm and http://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/41-02.htm

This was possible only because the lazy Göring was on extended leave and nobody told him ...

It was the most successful time span for I/KG 40 in anti-shipping operations and a hint what might have been possible otherwise.
Peace hath her victories no less renowned than War
(John Milton, the poet, in a letter to the Lord General Cromwell, May 1652)

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”