Tank leader!

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 21 Apr 2003, 00:41

I just realized that I forgot to thank Timo for responding to my question. Here is a late thank you, Timo.

Hey Homer, I remember your posts from before. Very informative and interesting! Have you looked into the numbers for Martin (In some cases known as Walter) Schroif? I am interested in this Panzer Ace.

I see that quite a few people have mentioned the Panzer Aces book. How good do you think this book is as a source? I look at it as fiction based on historical fact. Many things may be correct but I have noticed quite a few errors.

He has Wittmann's StuG with 5 crewmembers, a StuG only has 4 crewmembers. Also he has Wittmann in a Tiger during Kharkov in March of 1943, Wittmann was at first assigned to a PzKpfw III in the Schwere Kompanie and did not see a Tiger until a little before the Kursk Offensive. Also, the Heavy Company was called the 4th (Schwere) Kompanie during the Kharkov battles, it was not until a little before the Kursk Offensive that it was renamed the 13th (Schwere) Kompanie. He, like so many others, always refers to it as the 13th Kompanie.

Other than a few errors I like this book. I don't want anyone to get me wrong, I enjoyed the book a great deal.

Cheers,

Wolfkin

Wolfkin

Post by Wolfkin » 21 Apr 2003, 00:47

Here is a link to the old Panzer Aces thread:

http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Another interesting link about Panzer Aces:

http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopi ... sc&start=0

Man, we have had some good threads before, eh?

Cheers,

Wolfkin

Kristian S.

Re: Tank leader!

Post by Kristian S. » 29 Jul 2005, 09:58

+german+ wrote:Hello!
Please,can somebody give me a picture of the best german tank leader of WW2????
Thank you! :cry:
Here is a photo of Knispel among other tank-aces:

http://www.alanhamby.com/aces.html

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 29 Jul 2005, 11:09

Kameraden

Re: Tank leader!

Post by Kameraden » 13 Aug 2008, 23:09

For someone who has been interested in Knights Cross Holders for around 25 years i've only recently heard about Kurt Knispel recently.
I have to say that it's left a pretty bad taste in my mouth.Wittmann(Who i have always admired) gets the swords'but Knispel does'nt even get the KC despite exceeding Wiittmanns achievments.It might sound strange or silly'but it's kind of made the other 7000 KC's seem sort of cheapened or tarnished because this man was denied because he was'nt the regime's poster boy.I feel quite bitter about it although the events are more than 60 years ago.Kind of hard to explain.

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”